[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4021 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 am

Update from T2T Alliance:
T2T Alliance is advising of upcoming night and weekend works to install anti-throw screen columns and panels and replace service pit lids. These works are part of the State Government’s commitment to improving safety along the transport network.

To minimise disturbance to peak hour traffic, and weather permitting, these works will be undertaken for approximately three weeks starting Monday 26 August 2019 at the following times:

weeknights between 7pm and 5am
day and nights over two consecutive weekends between:
7pm Friday 6 September and 5am Monday 9 September and
7pm Friday 13 September and 5am Monday 16 September.
Anti-throw screens will be installed on the Grange Road, Port Road, Hawker Street and Torrens Road bridges, as well as the Outer Harbor rail bridge. Pit lids for two of the pumping station pits in the South Road lowered motorway will also be replaced.

All works are expected to be completed by 5am Monday 16 September, weather permitting.

Traffic management

Each night from 7pm to 5am Monday 26 August to Thursday 29 August:

The northbound carriageway of the North-South Motorway will be closed at times to traffic between Hindmarsh Avenue and Pym Street.
The southbound carriage way of the North-South Motorway will be closed at times to traffic between Pym Street and Hindmarsh Avenue.
Two lanes of South Road surface road southbound will be closed to traffic under the Outer Harbor rail bridge.
There will be intermittent road closures on the northbound surface road.
Motorists on the North-South Motorway will be detoured to the South Road surface roads.
Each night from 7pm to 5am Sunday 1 September to Thursday 5 September:

The northbound carriageway of the North-South Motorway will be closed at times to traffic between Hindmarsh Avenue and Pym Street.
The southbound carriage way of the North-South Motorway will be closed at times to traffic from Pym Street to Hindmarsh Avenue.
Motorists on the North-South Motorway will be detoured to the South Road surface roads.
From 7pm Friday 6 September to 5am Monday 9 September:

The northbound carriageway of the North-South Motorway will be closed to traffic between Hindmarsh Avenue and Pym Street.
The southbound carriage way of the North-South Motorway will be closed to traffic from Pym Street to Hindmarsh Avenue.
Each night from 7pm to 5am Monday 9 September to Thursday 12 September

The southbound carriage way of the North-South Motorway will be closed at times to traffic from Pym Street to Hindmarsh Avenue.
Lane and speed restrictions will apply on Port Road near the intersection of Port and South Road close to the works.
From 7pm Friday 13 September to 5am Monday 16 September

The northbound carriageway of the North-South Motorway will be closed to traffic between Hindmarsh Avenue and Pym Street.
The southbound carriage way of the North-South Motorway will be closed to traffic from Pym Street to Hindmarsh Avenue.
Hawker Street bridge will be closed to traffic, except public transport during these times.
Advance signage will alert road users to changes in traffic conditions. Speed and lane restrictions will be in placed while works are undertaken. Signage will also be in place to safely detour pedestrians and cyclists around the work sites.

Works will be managed to minimise disturbance however some minor noise can be expected.

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4022 Post by bits » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:49 am

SBD wrote: There has been no public announcement of any firm plans for crossing the Torrens
Does anything more need to be done other than the blocking access of 2 side streets?
There is 5 non stop lanes over Torrens River already.
Removing the business access to the south would be part of the larger trench/tunnel job.

SBD

#4023 Post by SBD » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:49 am
SBD wrote: There has been no public announcement of any firm plans for crossing the Torrens
Does anything more need to be done other than the blocking access of 2 side streets?
There is 5 non stop lanes over Torrens River already.
Removing the business access to the south would be part of the larger trench/tunnel job.
T2T has a total of 10 lanes (2 on the surface and three in the trench, each way), 12 counting bike lanes. I doubt that collapsing that to only five lanes plus the bike lanes and saying it is complete would be very popular. The 2015 plan had an "elevated structure to allow a narrower footprint and enable clearance to the adjacent shopping and community centres". It claimed an at-grade option had also been considered but would require further investigation of viability.

ChillyPhilly

#4024 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm

The current curve of Taylors Bridge (the South Road bridge over the Torrens) probably isn't friendly to a speed of 80 km/h either.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4025 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:19 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm
The current curve of Taylors Bridge (the South Road bridge over the Torrens) probably isn't friendly to a speed of 80 km/h either.
Disinterring a third of Hindmarsh Cemetery to accommodate a shallower curve at the current level is not likely to be a popular solution

claybro

#4026 Post by claybro » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:54 pm

this spot over the Torrens and past the cemetery does present a real conundrum. It makes sense if any stretch of the remaining corridor is to be tunnelled would be from just south of Grange Rd to just past Henley Beach road. It would solve the 2 sharp bends, the cemetery and the heritage buildings of Thebarton. Not sure how much gradient would be required to lower the motoraway under the River, but it already starts at a lowered level under Grange road anyway.

ChillyPhilly

#4027 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:01 am

NTRabbit wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Disinterring a third of Hindmarsh Cemetery to accommodate a shallower curve at the current level is not likely to be a popular solution
My mother heard on the grapevine that for some time, the State Government has been quietly buying the plots in the cemetery as they become available.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#4028 Post by aaronjameslange » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 am

R2P update:
With redwood machinery and royce ave shops now demolished, it only leaves the solar shop on regency road, a hydro/airconditioning shop and the soccer ground to be demolished. SAPN works are already underway with relocating the HV lines to side streets.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4029 Post by rev » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:30 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:01 am
NTRabbit wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
My mother heard on the grapevine that for some time, the State Government has been quietly buying the plots in the cemetery as they become available.
I thought that cemetery is historical?

Bacon
High Rise Poster!

#4030 Post by Bacon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:00 pm

I’m sure the corner won’t be that tight once they get rid of the units and the stone paving place

ChillyPhilly

#4031 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:30 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:
Correct. State Heritage listed.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#4032 Post by aaronjameslange » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:05 pm

rev wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:
Pretty sure all cemetaries would be historical.
I think each plot is bought for a pre determined number of years (20/50/100)
Once this period has elapsed if nobody decides to 'renew' for lack of a better word, the plot can be excavated and reused. Perhaps it is here where the government is not allowing the said plots to be reused

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4033 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:05 pm
rev wrote:

Once this period has elapsed if nobody decides to 'renew' for lack of a better word, the plot can be excavated and reused. Perhaps it is here where the government is not allowing the said plots to be reused
According to https://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/webd ... Policy.pdf internments are still permitted at Hindmarsh where existing rights exist with extension for 30 years allowed. However no new internment rights have been granted since 1986, but plots are not reused.

Within the metropolitan area Centennial Park, West Terrace, Cheltenham, Enfield and Dudley Park are some of the cemeteries which are not historical.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#4034 Post by Listy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 pm
aaronjameslange wrote:
rev wrote:

According to https://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/webd ... Policy.pdf internments are still permitted at Hindmarsh where existing rights exist with extension for 30 years allowed. However no new internment rights have been granted since 1986, but plots are not reused.

Within the metropolitan area Centennial Park, West Terrace, Cheltenham, Enfield and Dudley Park are some of the cemeteries which are not historical.
I went past the cemetery the other evening & had a quick look - the five or six rows of plots closest to South Rd are treated differently to the rest of the cemetery - the South Rd rows have headstones & grass over the plot only, whereas the remainder of the cemetery consists of headstones and slabs laid on top of the plot. Some of the headstones in close proximity to South Rd are quite new however - about half appear to be dated from the last 15-20 years or so, and are clearly well looked after by relatives.
Also of note is that when the bridge was widened on the western side all the services (water, sewage, power etc) were relocated to be under the footpath on the eastern side, so they will have to be moved again if the bridge is widened on the eastern side in the future

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4035 Post by rev » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 pm

aaronjameslange wrote:
rev wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Yes we know all that, but Im pretty sure there's actually some historical significance at that cemetery, its not just heritage listed.