[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4216 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Most have seen this, but here's the refresher. EDIT: I made an updated version.

All these options were taken from the South Road Scoping Report (I have a PDF copy for anyone interested).

Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#4217 Post by SBD » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:30 pm

The Liberal Government says it is re-evaluating the possibility of bored tunnels as the costs might have changed since that design was developed. If the new report still advises that tunnels are too expensive and the old plan is still the best, is Labor going to respond "NO - we are the opposition and it's our job to oppose anything", "Yes, we told you that was the best, why have you taken so long?", or something else? Current Labor seems to be opposed to tunnels, but not really in favour of the previous government's plan either.

It seems to have become political instead of just getting on with making our lives better. :wallbash:

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4218 Post by Eurostar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 pm

If the viaduct is chosen for section between Edwardstown and Tonsley only the Daws Road point will need an interchange I think. The service road at ground level will see a lot less traffic so congestion won't be an issue.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4219 Post by aceman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 pm
If the viaduct is chosen for section between Edwardstown and Tonsley only the Daws Road point will need an interchange I think. The service road at ground level will see a lot less traffic so congestion won't be an issue.
completely agree, daws rd to tonsley isn't far when the motorway is separated from the current street level.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4220 Post by Spotto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:06 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm
If I recall the main goal is to allow non stop travel from Gawler to Old Noarlunga and vice versa. The many pedestrian crossings should be removed and replaced with pedestrian overpasses, this would allow pedestrians to safely cross the road and eliminate stopping points for motorists.
Once the last section of the motorway is built pedestrian crossings will be irrelevant.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4221 Post by rev » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:59 pm

Eurostar wrote:
You would think basic on/off ramp setup and then something more significant for cross road. I guess it depends on which road they want to use to connect to the SEF.

SBD

#4222 Post by SBD » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:21 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Eurostar wrote:
You would think basic on/off ramp setup and then something more significant for cross road. I guess it depends on which road they want to use to connect to the SEF.
I am not aware of any public information about a possible freeway link between the South Eastern Freeway and the North-South Corridor since that was defined around 2015. Nothing I've seen from either Liberal or Labor governments or election candidates, nor from the Department which could be developing plans just-in-case or to present to its minister whenever it is asked for big projects.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4223 Post by aceman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:00 pm

does anyone know how the repair works are progressing where the land slide occurred after the heavy rain? I've driven through a couple of times but I try to focus on the road ahead rather than examining the walls on either side of me.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#4224 Post by kymbosa » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 pm

aceman wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:00 pm
does anyone know how the repair works are progressing where the land slide occurred after the heavy rain? I've driven through a couple of times but I try to focus on the road ahead rather than examining the walls on either side of me.
Most of that section is completed with the walls in place now. The remaining soil there is for the final bit of road surface, once that’s removed the final bits will be put in place.

Also the flinders link project shut the flinders driver section of the road down in the coming weeks.
011A8688-2150-4114-B617-652DBF3D4474.jpeg

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4225 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Is it just me but coming into this project from either direction and you really have to have your wits about you to get into the correct lane to get where you want to go. It reminds me a bit like a video game that you have to make a quick decision on multiple divergent lanes to choose. I guess with enough practice it will become easier.

claybro

#4226 Post by claybro » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:21 pm
rev wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Eurostar wrote:
I am not aware of any public information about a possible freeway link between the South Eastern Freeway and the North-South Corridor since that was defined around 2015. Nothing I've seen from either Liberal or Labor governments or election candidates, nor from the Department which could be developing plans just-in-case or to present to its minister whenever it is asked for big projects.
It is not in the public realm, and neither do either side of politics want to touch it at present as it will become a political firestorm. It has however been discussed, conceptualised and IA have consistently asked questions of the state as to how it intends to proceed with this inevitable link. Cross Road is a federal transport link, and either way, SA will be dragged kicking and screaming into this or a similar link.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4227 Post by how good is he » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:24 am

Btw, have they given an updated/expected completion of the Darlington project (& also separately Flinders Link)?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#4228 Post by muzzamo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 am

Flinders link project newsletter - https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... tion_2.pdf

The thing that strikes me so far about this project is the piers - they have a really really smooth curved concrete finish and are far less boxy than any other similar infrastructure I recall being built here.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4229 Post by how good is he » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:37 am

Does anyone know what happened to the proposal to take people up to Flinders Uni [from the end of Flinders link]? I know it was a bit far fetched but with the autonomous cars at Tonsley etc I thought it might have happened.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4230 Post by rev » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:01 pm

how good is he wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:29 pm
Is it just me but coming into this project from either direction and you really have to have your wits about you to get into the correct lane to get where you want to go. It reminds me a bit like a video game that you have to make a quick decision on multiple divergent lanes to choose. I guess with enough practice it will become easier.
Welcome Adelaide to driving on a freeway.