[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Vasco
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] North-South Motorway

#4396 Post by Vasco » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:33 pm

jase111 wrote:I would think there is no planning on south road in the past 10 years Mazda dealership being built on the western side brand new service station 30 meters opposite Caltex on a site that was derelict for 20 years.a child care centre renovated on the corner of everard ave and south road, no thought of how Bunnings will impact the north south Motorway with right turns both on and off south road . Let’s hope there is a connection in the final plan when it’s released for east/west interchange either at cross road or St Marys or along the corridor somewhere.
There has to be a simple way to limit right hand turns and make the traffic move smoother a bit like they are doing at Pym st to regency road . Maybe put in uturn at major intersections and make 3 lanes in morning/ afternoon peak . just a thought I had sitting on top of the Emerson bridge with little traffic coming the other way just until works get underway for the final piece of north south Motorway
Rant over cheers

Personally I think quickest and easiest thing they could do right to alleviate some traffic issues on the southern side:

Is buy up land on all corners of the following intersections.
- Daws road intersection (working around substation)
- Raglan / Edwards St

To create wider / longer turning lanes as well as a third intersection thru lane.

But alas the government isn’t interested in easing traffic issues anytime soon. And such minor projects take 4 years to complete from initial idea to road work signs completely gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4397 Post by claybro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 pm

The purpose of the N/S Motorway is not to resolve local traffic congestion issues at individual intersections. It is to move large volumes of freight and commerce, efficiently over relatively long distances. That it also resolves these historic local choke points is a bonus. I for one am thankful that there is no proposal for fiddling around the edges by extra turning lanes etc. it will only prolong the inevitable, and lead to the long suffering logistic industries waiting another few decades for a proper fix. If local councils and the state are stupid enough to allow conflicting develooements in this corridor.. then it just shows the calibre of the politicians.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#4398 Post by Vasco » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 pm

The idea of a NS Motorway is great. Unfortunately in SA no one with the power to do anything wants to create a NS Motorway anytime soon. And even if they did it’s going to take another decade + to complete. I for one would prefer some solutions in the mean time while those in charge inevitably twiddle their thumbs. OR if for example the next section chosen is at the Northern end of Anzac HWY.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4399 Post by Spotto » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am

Not sure where else to put it but the new servo that’s being built opposite Castle Plaza, well the plastic wrap on the exterior panels has now been removed; the station shelter is blue and the shop is red. Since no other station looks like this, could this be the first new Ampol servo? For those that don’t know, in 2015 Caltex Australia was fully separated from its American parent Chevron but formed a license agreement to continue using the Caltex name, they’ve decided that it would save them heaps of money to stop doing that so they’re rebranding back to Ampol (the name before Ampol and Caltex merged into one company).

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4400 Post by how good is he » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:04 pm

I totally agree Vasco. There are already things they could do to help. I think the sooner they close Pym St the better. It would at least allow free traffic flow for another 1.5-2 kms. Where does the forum see the worst bottlenecks are now? If they can spend $98m and take out 58 properties for just an intersection at Portrush & Magill Rd... they could/should spend the same amount now along the worst of South Rds problem areas while we wait another 10+ years for some grand plan.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4401 Post by SRW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:04 pm
I totally agree Vasco. There are already things they could do to help. I think the sooner they close Pym St the better. It would at least allow free traffic flow for another 1.5-2 kms. Where does the forum see the worst bottlenecks are now? If they can spend $98m and take out 58 properties for just an intersection at Portrush & Magill Rd... they could/should spend the same amount now along the worst of South Rds problem areas while we wait another 10+ years for some grand plan.
IMO, any money spent between now and the ultimate outcome should be on removing bottlenecks on alternate routes such as Marion Road etc, so that they're ready to bear the brunt of diversions during construction.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#4402 Post by claybro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 pm

how good is he wrote:
So you'd be happy with spending $100 million on upgrading intersections on a corridor due for complete reconstruction in 10 years?

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#4403 Post by Vasco » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:01 pm

claybro wrote:
how good is he wrote:
So you'd be happy with spending $100 million on upgrading intersections on a corridor due for complete reconstruction in 10 years?
If those particular sections do not in the end turn out to be tunnels, then the land of those properties acquired / demolished will still be of use for the future project.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4404 Post by Eurostar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:23 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 am
Not sure where else to put it but the new servo that’s being built opposite Castle Plaza, well the plastic wrap on the exterior panels has now been removed; the station shelter is blue and the shop is red. Since no other station looks like this, could this be the first new Ampol servo? For those that don’t know, in 2015 Caltex Australia was fully separated from its American parent Chevron but formed a license agreement to continue using the Caltex name, they’ve decided that it would save them heaps of money to stop doing that so they’re rebranding back to Ampol (the name before Ampol and Caltex merged into one company).
Being red and blue it'll most likely be a Liberty Timesaver service station

Patrick_27

#4405 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:23 pm
Spotto wrote:
When you say 'opposite Castle Plaza', where abouts are we talking?

NYG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4406 Post by NYG » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:06 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
Spotto wrote:
When you say 'opposite Castle Plaza', where abouts are we talking?

993-997 South Rd, Melrose Park
Next to current Carpet Court

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4407 Post by Spotto » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:27 am

Eurostar wrote:
Spotto wrote:
That was my thought before the blue station canopy was uncovered. Liberty servos have white canopies with decals, this one is fully blue.

Having now looked at pictures of old Ampol servos with blue canopies I’m very confident it will be Ampol.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4408 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 am

Spotto wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
Spotto wrote:
That was my thought before the blue station canopy was uncovered. Liberty servos have white canopies with decals, this one is fully blue.

Having now looked at pictures of old Ampol servos with blue canopies I’m very confident it will be Ampol.
Drove past yesterday evening and can confirm it'll be a United/Liberty servo.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

#4409 Post by d3v310per » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Next weekend (22nd Feb) Sturt Road will be closed for the installation of the rail bridge. Those in the area might want to divert via Daws Road or Marion Road.
I’ll try to get some pics but feel free if you get in first

d3v310per
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4410 Post by d3v310per » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:58 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 am
Drove past yesterday evening and can confirm it'll be a United/Liberty servo.
I can confirm this. United decals are on fuel pumps.