[U/C] North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 59 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4321 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:41 am

It appears the concrete is being pushed up and lifting due to some strong force. It may not be the cause but it could be from a previous tree they cut down in the vicinity. If the tree stump/root is not bored out properly/completely it could continue to grow and push up the concrete.

NYG
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:23 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4322 Post by NYG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Southbound access to Southern Expressway/Lowered Motorway from before Tonsley Boulevard intersection starting Monday 20th January 6am

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5769
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 791 times
Been thanked: 1480 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4323 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:03 am

Traffic was travelling through the new section under Tonsley Boulevard since 5pm today.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3486
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 138 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4324 Post by Waewick » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 pm

The absurdity of the planning on the route is becoming more evident every day.

You fly through Darlington only to hit a bottle neck the moment it finishes.

In one direction the Daws rd/Goodwood road intersection is going to help, a bit, until the bottle neck turns into goodwood/cross roads. But all that traffic flows onto Goodwood rd through Goodwood proper, which is a shocker in its own right.

In the other they need to hurry the hell up with the bit on South Road underpass to avoid two under developed roads becoming parking lots.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 649 times
Been thanked: 305 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4325 Post by SRW » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

While they're figuring out what to do with the final sections of South Road, they should be increasing capacity now on other north-south routes which will take the brunt of traffic diversion during the many years of construction. Why there's still a level crossing on Marion Road I can't understand. At least they're making moves to remove the Brighton Road one.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 47 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4326 Post by Spotto » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:47 pm

SRW wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm
While they're figuring out what to do with the final sections of South Road, they should be increasing capacity now on other north-south routes which will take the brunt of traffic diversion during the many years of construction. Why there's still a level crossing on Marion Road I can't understand. At least they're making moves to remove the Brighton Road one.
There isn’t a rail level crossing on Marion Road. If you’re referring to the tram crossing then yes it needs to be fixed especially since it backs up Marion AND Cross Roads. A single underpass or overpass through both roads needs to be done especially with the high frequency of the trans.

TorrensSA
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 am
Been thanked: 19 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4327 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Marion Road has a light rail crossing, it's a tram crossing, trams travel on rails therefore it's clearly a rail level crossing.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 394 times
Been thanked: 95 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4328 Post by SBD » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 pm
The absurdity of the planning on the route is becoming more evident every day.

You fly through Darlington only to hit a bottle neck the moment it finishes.

In one direction the Daws rd/Goodwood road intersection is going to help, a bit, until the bottle neck turns into goodwood/cross roads. But all that traffic flows onto Goodwood rd through Goodwood proper, which is a shocker in its own right.

In the other they need to hurry the hell up with the bit on South Road underpass to avoid two under developed roads becoming parking lots.
What's wrong with the route? The problem sees to be that no political party wants to be responsible for the construction phase/ They all want it finished, but fear the voter backlash of actually building it.

This is one of the consequences of deliberately setting up a "fair" electoral system. Drastic changes of the scale that occurred under Playford can't be done in a way that fits the electoral cycle and the system is deliberately marginal so any small negativity results in a change of government. New government means it gets to reassess the priorities.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 649 times
Been thanked: 305 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4329 Post by SRW » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 pm
Waewick wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 pm
The absurdity of the planning on the route is becoming more evident every day.

You fly through Darlington only to hit a bottle neck the moment it finishes.

In one direction the Daws rd/Goodwood road intersection is going to help, a bit, until the bottle neck turns into goodwood/cross roads. But all that traffic flows onto Goodwood rd through Goodwood proper, which is a shocker in its own right.

In the other they need to hurry the hell up with the bit on South Road underpass to avoid two under developed roads becoming parking lots.
What's wrong with the route? The problem sees to be that no political party wants to be responsible for the construction phase/ They all want it finished, but fear the voter backlash of actually building it.

This is one of the consequences of deliberately setting up a "fair" electoral system. Drastic changes of the scale that occurred under Playford can't be done in a way that fits the electoral cycle and the system is deliberately marginal so any small negativity results in a change of government. New government means it gets to reassess the priorities.
I think you're overselling the backlash locals will cause (presuming a tunnel proposal) and underselling the overwhelming desire of everyone else to see it done.
Keep Adelaide Weird

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 59 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4330 Post by how good is he » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm

I think the bottom line is money is the issue. The Govt make open ended promises of billions but with no defined start or end date. Funding could be 8-10 years away... this article after the Federal budget last year explains it -

The Federal Government has again declined to fund the North-South Corridor in the budget’s forward estimates, undermining Premier Steven Marshall’s infrastructure pitch for a second year in a row.

South Australian Treasurer Rob Lucas has blamed a Labor delay in receiving infrastructure funding for the North-South Corridor.

However, the SA Treasurer Rob Lucas argues funding for the project had to be placed beyond the forward estimates – the four-year budgeting period – because the former Labor Government failed to produce business cases for the project.

Earlier this week, Marshall and Lucas were spruiking a combined $5.4 billion “on the table” from state and federal governments for the final 10.5 kilometre stretch of the North-South Corridor roads project, described as the largest infrastructure project in the state’s history.

In last night’s budget, federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg announced $1.5 billion in new funding for the project.

However, only about one per cent of that figure – $15 million – is allocated in the final year of the forward estimates, in 2022-23.

The balance of the new money is promised for an undefined year beyond the forward estimates – two federal elections away.
Last edited by how good is he on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 59 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4331 Post by how good is he » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:56 pm

And this from the Fed Govt $100b infrastructure programme website -

The Australian Government has committed up to $4.5 billion to critical projects on the North-South Corridor.

Timetable

The Torrens Road to River Torrens project began August 2015 and is complete. The Darlington and Northern Connector projects are currently under construction and work is expected to commence on the Regency Road to Pym Street project in 2020. Planning is underway on the North-South Corridor future priorities.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 394 times
Been thanked: 95 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4332 Post by SBD » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 am

SRW wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm
SBD wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 pm
Waewick wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 pm
The absurdity of the planning on the route is becoming more evident every day.

You fly through Darlington only to hit a bottle neck the moment it finishes.

In one direction the Daws rd/Goodwood road intersection is going to help, a bit, until the bottle neck turns into goodwood/cross roads. But all that traffic flows onto Goodwood rd through Goodwood proper, which is a shocker in its own right.

In the other they need to hurry the hell up with the bit on South Road underpass to avoid two under developed roads becoming parking lots.
What's wrong with the route? The problem sees to be that no political party wants to be responsible for the construction phase/ They all want it finished, but fear the voter backlash of actually building it.

This is one of the consequences of deliberately setting up a "fair" electoral system. Drastic changes of the scale that occurred under Playford can't be done in a way that fits the electoral cycle and the system is deliberately marginal so any small negativity results in a change of government. New government means it gets to reassess the priorities.
I think you're overselling the backlash locals will cause (presuming a tunnel proposal) and underselling the overwhelming desire of everyone else to see it done.
My evidence is the front-page photo of Tom Koutsantonis with his arms crossed a few months ago about building the next section south of the Torrens RIver, rather than him telling us how wonderful the Labor plan was and Liberal should just get on and follow his plans. His electorate will bear the pain of the construction phase while he is seeking re-election. Electorates further west (and north, south, everywhere else) will benefit from the project being completed. The assumption is that voters can't/won't look beyond the next election or the boundaries of their own seat to see the bigger long-term benefits.

Saltwater
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm
Location: Inner West
Been thanked: 8 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4333 Post by Saltwater » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:44 am

People in the inner west just want something done, and are prepared to put up with construction knowing any end result will be better than the current situation. The preference is obviously for a tunnel. I say this as someone that lives just off South Road at Mile End.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1568
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 521 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4334 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:55 am

how good is he wrote:I think the bottom line is money is the issue. The Govt make open ended promises of billions but with no defined start or end date. Funding could be 8-10 years away... this article after the Federal budget last year explains it -

The Federal Government has again declined to fund the North-South Corridor in the budget’s forward estimates, undermining Premier Steven Marshall’s infrastructure pitch for a second year in a row.

South Australian Treasurer Rob Lucas has blamed Labor a delay in receiving infrastructure funding for the North-South Corridor.

However, the SA Treasurer Rob Lucas argues funding for the project had to be placed beyond the forward estimates – the four-year budgeting period – because the former Labor Government failed to produce business cases for the project.

Earlier this week, Marshall and Lucas were spruiking a combined $5.4 billion “on the table” from state and federal governments for the final 10.5 kilometre stretch of the North-South Corridor roads project, described as the largest infrastructure project in the state’s history.

In last night’s budget, federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg announced $1.5 billion in new funding for the project.

However, only about one per cent of that figure – $15 million – is allocated in the final year of the forward estimates, in 2022-23.

The balance of the new money is promised for an undefined year beyond the forward estimates – two federal elections away.
Good to see that instead of sticking up for SA, Rob Mucus just blames Labor for 'not having a business case'. Mate, you've been pulling the strings for virtually two years - more than enough time to do these mystical business cases.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 649 times
Been thanked: 305 times

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#4335 Post by SRW » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:10 am

SBD wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 am
SRW wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm
SBD wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:09 pm

What's wrong with the route? The problem sees to be that no political party wants to be responsible for the construction phase/ They all want it finished, but fear the voter backlash of actually building it.

This is one of the consequences of deliberately setting up a "fair" electoral system. Drastic changes of the scale that occurred under Playford can't be done in a way that fits the electoral cycle and the system is deliberately marginal so any small negativity results in a change of government. New government means it gets to reassess the priorities.
I think you're overselling the backlash locals will cause (presuming a tunnel proposal) and underselling the overwhelming desire of everyone else to see it done.
My evidence is the front-page photo of Tom Koutsantonis with his arms crossed a few months ago about building the next section south of the Torrens RIver, rather than him telling us how wonderful the Labor plan was and Liberal should just get on and follow his plans. His electorate will bear the pain of the construction phase while he is seeking re-election. Electorates further west (and north, south, everywhere else) will benefit from the project being completed. The assumption is that voters can't/won't look beyond the next election or the boundaries of their own seat to see the bigger long-term benefits.
I don't see how your 'evidence' supports your conclusion. Bear in mind the context and convention of the arms-crossed visual in news media, and also the role of the 'opposition' at this point of the electoral cycle. Again, providing a tunnel option, I suspect any NIMBYism will be minor and muted. This project has been a long time coming for too long a time, and people's attitudes will have appropriately adjusted and accepted the ultimate outcome.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests