[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3544
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 147 times

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#46 Post by Waewick » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:14 pm

I agree, get it done and then sought out the rest of it later.

I think everyone is aware that some parts of South Road are in needs of repair and that will surely occur in the next 10 or so years.

Westside
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 4:30 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 58 times

[U/C] South Road Upgrades - Discussion thread

#47 Post by Westside » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:57 pm

baytram366 wrote:I'm all for it fixing the Grand Junction Road intersection -that can be quite fun at peak hour (joking of course) but the Grange Road to Torrens Road section needs more attention due to it being very thin and a lot more dangerous than other parts that the Superway will improve.
A think a simple quick fix for the time being (which I know the government loves) would be to get rid of the stupid NO RIGHT TURN rule at the Manton Street / South Road intersection between the hours of (I think) 7am - 9:30am weekdays. Not only does this intersection provide a right turn arrow at other times, its a safe intersection if used properly (although I have seen many accidents there during the moring peak due to careless drivers).
I have been caught out many times driving to work in the morning with this no right turn rule. If you can't turn right there, the next option is to drive up further to the Port Road / South Road intersection and wait for there to be no on-coming traffic and speed across the intersection to get onto Port Road - there is no right turn arrow there at all.
If you could turn right onto Manton Street during peak hours, I am sure this would take SOME of the stress of the skinny South Road section and make traffic flow better just by allowing people to use a green arrow in the mornings - SIMPLE.
Any questions?
Use Adam Street, that is why they increased the length of the right-turn lane to over the Torrens River bridge. Even in peak hours, there is plenty of time to get a number of cars around between the Grange Rd light sequence.

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#48 Post by AtD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:27 pm

I've found with turning onto Adam Street, often there's a queue of stationary traffic. Usually good semaritans leave a gap and let you though.

User avatar
baytram366
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Western Adelaide
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#49 Post by baytram366 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Adam St is no good for those of us who drive from homes on the opposite side of the Torrens. I don't get to worked up about it, but I just thought it was a common sense solution that could ease the stress on the section from Grange Road to Torrens Road. I have found that do a right turn from South onto Port Roads can be a bit daughting without an arrow at some times of the morning... and yet there is a perfectly good right turning lane onto Manton St that no one is allowed to use when its needed the most.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#50 Post by AtD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:14 pm

They probably found that right turns took to long such that the queue blocked though traffic. You could try taking three lefts

fabricator
Legendary Member!
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:13 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#51 Post by fabricator » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 072871.htm
A truck has hit a pole and brought down powerlines on South Road at Ridleyton in Adelaide.

Police say the road, which is usually clogged with traffic, will be closed for most of the day.

The truck hit a stobie pole which fell between a building and a vacant block, pulling down the lines and starting a grass fire.

The impact also pulled the stobie poles out of alignment on both sides of the crash.

Screen printer Chris Moseley, who works nearby, said he quickly put the fire out.

South Road was closed off between Port and Torrens Roads after the accident.

Power company ETSA says thousands of properties in the area lost their supply.

It says some will not have power restored until the end of the day at best, but others have their supply back.

Lines carrying 66,000 volts came down onto other power lines carrying 11,000 volts.

ETSA general manager Sue Philby said it would be a long repair process.

"[It] took out the power for 2,500 customers in the western suburbs," she said.

"The crews have worked really hard and we've only got about 200 customers now ... off supply and they will probably remain without supply until the early hours of the morning."

Another pole was hit in Adelaide's south, cutting power supplies to hundreds of customers in parts of Colonel Light Gardens, Daw Park, Melrose Park, Pasadena and Saint Marys.

That accident was in Goodwood Road at Pasadena.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 073498.htm
The Transport Department says it expects diversions around a stretch of South Road to be removed at about 3am (ACDT) on Tuesday.

The section between Port and Torrens Roads has been closed since late on Monday morning after a truck hit a pole, which fell between a building and a vacant block.

The impact brought down power lines which started a small grass fire and cut electricity to more than 2,000 homes.

ETSA says power supply would not be returned to the remaining 50 customers until about 6am on Tuesday.

ETSA general manager Sue Philby said it would be a long repair process.

Another pole was hit in Adelaide's south, cutting power supplies to hundreds of customers in parts of Colonel Light Gardens, Daw Park, Melrose Park, Pasadena and Saint Marys.

That accident was in Goodwood Road at Pasadena.
Video
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/11/22/3073531.htm

Can anyone watch the above video then honestly say we need to Superway more ? :sly: :wallbash:

2000+ people loose power, road blocked off for the entire day, huge pole misses falling on a building by centermeters, wires everywhere including draped over a metal roof. I'd understand if the government took the plans and only paid for the underground of the power lines part, but to do nothing at all is just putting lives at risk.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#52 Post by AtD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:54 am

fabricator wrote:Can anyone watch the above video then honestly say we need to Superway more ? :sly: :wallbash:
You can whinge all you want about the Superway being in the wrong place, but until you can table your own comprehensive study on what the future freight task will require the most, just get over it. As stated earlier in this thread, the Federal Govt threw a lot of dollars at a study into the future freight task. The result was that the section of road that was most important for the future freight task is the section between the Port River Expressway and Regency Park (the major freight terminal). The Federal Government threw something like half a billion dollars to the state to go towards this particular piece of infrastructure. It was not to be spent on another project, and it was a "Use it or lose it" offer. Do you think the state government should have ignored the money and carried on as you see fit because that's what suits you? (I'm not pointing the finger at any particular individual here). Just get over it, it will get fixed in due course.
What part of this do you not understand? You're the 100th person in this thread to have that bitch. We get the point.

Image

mattblack
Legendary Member!
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:20 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#53 Post by mattblack » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:39 am

Even a semi educated view is nice occasionally :)
This was beautifully illustrated by Fabricator on the very next post :wallbash:
Can anyone watch the above video then honestly say we need to Superway more ?


LOOK AT THE CONGESTION SUVEY FOR SOUTH RD

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... r_2009.pdf

User avatar
Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:31 pm

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#54 Post by Jim Boukas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05 am

mattblack wrote:
Even a semi educated view is nice occasionally :)
This was beautifully illustrated by Fabricator on the very next post :wallbash:
Can anyone watch the above video then honestly say we need to Superway more ?


LOOK AT THE CONGESTION SUVEY FOR SOUTH RD

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... r_2009.pdf
South road is congested because people don't use public transport, induced demand people, if we build better roads people will be encouraged to use them and the congestion will continue. We should stop spending money on any road improvements to force people to use public transport. We are in harsh economic times and we need to spend our money on getting people out of cars and into public transport. Don't spend anymore money on road improvements please!!! :cheers:

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades - Discussion thread

#55 Post by AtD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:28 am

I've split the last couple of pages of the thread, Adelaide Oval style, between actual news and general ranting. :)

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3544
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 147 times

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#56 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 am

Jim Boukas wrote:
mattblack wrote:
Even a semi educated view is nice occasionally :)
This was beautifully illustrated by Fabricator on the very next post :wallbash:
Can anyone watch the above video then honestly say we need to Superway more ?


LOOK AT THE CONGESTION SUVEY FOR SOUTH RD

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... r_2009.pdf
South road is congested because people don't use public transport, induced demand people, if we build better roads people will be encouraged to use them and the congestion will continue. We should stop spending money on any road improvements to force people to use public transport. We are in harsh economic times and we need to spend our money on getting people out of cars and into public transport. Don't spend anymore money on road improvements please!!! :cheers:
I understand what you are saying, I just don't like the logic.

Personally, I think you need to make public transport viable alternative, but ensure roads are up to standards that encourage encomic activity.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#57 Post by monotonehell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:South road is congested because people don't use public transport, induced demand people, if we build better roads people will be encouraged to use them and the congestion will continue. We should stop spending money on any road improvements to force people to use public transport. We are in harsh economic times and we need to spend our money on getting people out of cars and into public transport. Don't spend anymore money on road improvements please!!! :cheers:
You and another forum irregular Camaro68 should get together. You're like polar opposites. lol (unless you're him trolling? I'm assuming good faith though) He's always pumping on about how he wants to drive his Camaro on a freeway where ever he goes. Which as you pointed out isn't a great idea due to induced demand.

But I can't agree with either of you. He's too far one way and you're too far the other. Both of you need to look at a situation with a bit more reason. Personally I don't use a car at all, I get everywhere I want using PT. But that's not practical for everyone. PT also runs on roads, so we do need roads. We need the roads to be not congested, so putting people on PT is a good idea, where its practical.

There's a use for all modes of transport, public or private. It's a matter of finding a workable, sustainable balance and integrating all those modes so they are used.

So screaming "induced demand!" without demonstrating your case is not useful. But neither is screaming "I wana freeways!"
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

User avatar
Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:31 pm

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#58 Post by Jim Boukas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:55 pm

monotonehell wrote:You and another forum irregular Camaro68 should get together. You're like polar opposites. lol (unless you're him trolling? I'm assuming good faith though) He's always pumping on about how he wants to drive his Camaro on a freeway where ever he goes. Which as you pointed out isn't a great idea due to induced demand.

But I can't agree with either of you. He's too far one way and you're too far the other. Both of you need to look at a situation with a bit more reason. Personally I don't use a car at all, I get everywhere I want using PT. But that's not practical for everyone. PT also runs on roads, so we do need roads. We need the roads to be not congested, so putting people on PT is a good idea, where its practical.

There's a use for all modes of transport, public or private. It's a matter of finding a workable, sustainable balance and integrating all those modes so they are used.

So screaming "induced demand!" without demonstrating your case is not useful. But neither is screaming "I wana freeways!"
MTH who i am is not important, what infuriates me though is the double standards that many of the people have on this issue, on one hand as you know many people have wanted a Nth/Sth Freeway for years and the said individuals knock it back quoting induced demand public transport considerations etc. Then the same ones support fixing south road up at either end and it bemuses me as to why the induced demand/public transport arguments don't apply then or does it only apply to projects they do not support :bow:

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 189 times

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#59 Post by Nort » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:
monotonehell wrote:You and another forum irregular Camaro68 should get together. You're like polar opposites. lol (unless you're him trolling? I'm assuming good faith though) He's always pumping on about how he wants to drive his Camaro on a freeway where ever he goes. Which as you pointed out isn't a great idea due to induced demand.

But I can't agree with either of you. He's too far one way and you're too far the other. Both of you need to look at a situation with a bit more reason. Personally I don't use a car at all, I get everywhere I want using PT. But that's not practical for everyone. PT also runs on roads, so we do need roads. We need the roads to be not congested, so putting people on PT is a good idea, where its practical.

There's a use for all modes of transport, public or private. It's a matter of finding a workable, sustainable balance and integrating all those modes so they are used.

So screaming "induced demand!" without demonstrating your case is not useful. But neither is screaming "I wana freeways!"
MTH who i am is not important, what infuriates me though is the double standards that many of the people have on this issue, on one hand as you know many people have wanted a Nth/Sth Freeway for years and the said individuals knock it back quoting induced demand public transport considerations etc. Then the same ones support fixing south road up at either end and it bemuses me as to why the induced demand/public transport arguments don't apply then or does it only apply to projects they do not support :bow:
It has been said a thousand times, but I'll say it again very clearly since you still seem confused.

The South Road Superway is NOT being built for COMMUTER traffic.

The South Road Superway is being built for INDUSTRIAL traffic.

No amount of public transport will help companies shifting goods back and forth.

User avatar
Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:31 pm

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#60 Post by Jim Boukas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Nort wrote:It has been said a thousand times, but I'll say it again very clearly since you still seem confused.
The South Road Superway is NOT being built for COMMUTER traffic.
The South Road Superway is being built for INDUSTRIAL traffic.
No amount of public transport will help companies shifting goods back and forth.
Fantastic, and if I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times how's is that going to help industrial traffic from the south eastern freeway to the cnr of days road and south road were the new super way starts approx a 23 km journey????
Huge trucks will still have to commute past the most populated suburbs of Adelaide to get to it, considering most freight comes from the eastern states?????.
Start the upgrade from cross roads intersection and finish it at the cnr of regency and sith road, that way industrial traffic only travels 7 kms along cross road to a new freeway. :cheers:

Spend money on the part of south road that will benefit both industrial and commuter traffic!!!! :bow:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests