News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide Airport & Airline News

#661 Post by bm7500 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:43 am

Ho Really, i agree with your thoughts that this will be a huge benefit for those passengers now having to travel to the East Coast of this country, so they can get on an Emirates flight.

Emirates President Tim Clark once criticised Adelaide as being sleepy (or words to that effect), so to bringing a Boeing 777ER service to Adelaide ultimately on a daily basis is a great vote of confidence in SA!

I personally can't wait to see the big triples here on a regular basis (and not just from diversions). The evening arrival time will compliment the later Singapore Airlines arrival and add even more vibrancy to the airport precinct.

It actually makes the thrice weekly Qantas, Singapore/Adelaide/Sydney service look even more pathetic. Our national flag carrier and this is the best it can do? It will be interesting to see if Qantas makes a counter move to increase the frequency or just sits on their hands whilst their market share continues to wither away....
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#662 Post by Maximus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Fantastic news, and a long time coming! However, a word of warning: note the arrival time -- 8:45pm. If the incoming flight is delayed by anything more than an hour, they will struggle to turn around in time to get back out of Adelaide before 11pm curfew. Hopefully, though, this should rarely, if ever, be a problem.

Bring it on. :banana:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#663 Post by adam73837 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:09 pm

This is FANTASTIC news. I'm curious though, given Emirates currently have a Dubai-Sydney-Auckland (or maybe it's Christchurch) route, I wonder if they'll substitute Adelaide for Sydney given I'm sure there's plenty more demand in Sydney.
It just seems a little odd that they'll be able to fill an entire 777 in Adelaide yet not in Sydney. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the way they operate the Dubai-Sydney-NZ service.
But anyway, it's fantastic news to hear!
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#664 Post by Maximus » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:30 pm

adam73837 wrote:This is FANTASTIC news. I'm curious though, given Emirates currently have a Dubai-Sydney-Auckland (or maybe it's Christchurch) route, I wonder if they'll substitute Adelaide for Sydney given I'm sure there's plenty more demand in Sydney.
It just seems a little odd that they'll be able to fill an entire 777 in Adelaide yet not in Sydney. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the way they operate the Dubai-Sydney-NZ service.
Mate, Emirates already has tonnes of capacity in Sydney -- they fly there four times a day! I think the services that continue onto NZ are more about: (a) servicing NZ, and (b) Dubai to Auckland direct is a distance that not very many planes can actually fly.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#665 Post by rogue » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Dubai - Auckland Direct = 14,204km
B777-300ER Max range = 14,690km

Not much room to play with

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#666 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Also of note is the way emirates operates is to start routes with the 777 as they mature and demand increases they shift them to the A380.

I wonder if that would ever end up happening in Adelaide or if the market is still too small.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#667 Post by adam73837 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Maximus wrote:
adam73837 wrote:This is FANTASTIC news. I'm curious though, given Emirates currently have a Dubai-Sydney-Auckland (or maybe it's Christchurch) route, I wonder if they'll substitute Adelaide for Sydney given I'm sure there's plenty more demand in Sydney.
Mate, Emirates already has tonnes of capacity in Sydney -- they fly there four times a day! I think the services that continue onto NZ are more about: (a) servicing NZ, and (b) Dubai to Auckland direct is a distance that not very many planes can actually fly.
Yeah I thought that was the case with there being a large number of flights to Sydney.
But my question was more focused on whether they would go from Adelaide to NZ rather than from Sydney, given I'm not sure how much demand there would be in Adelaide and whether they could instead opt to use the one aircraft to carry passengers going to/from Adelaide AND NZ. I'm sure they've done their research though and will see how it all pans out over the next year.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

tayser
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#668 Post by tayser » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:40 pm

This is FANTASTIC news. I'm curious though, given Emirates currently have a Dubai-Sydney-Auckland (or maybe it's Christchurch) route, I wonder if they'll substitute Adelaide for Sydney given I'm sure there's plenty more demand in Sydney.
The many flights a day to NZ from BNE, MEL and SYD are also about not having the aircraft sitting on the ground in those airports all day waiting for their return journey - it might as well be flying making -some- cash rather than just outlaying cash sitting on the apron doing nothing.

the timetable is just a stop and turn service:

EK440 DXB ADL 0155 2045
EK441 ADL DXB 2245 0545+1

EK406 DXB MEL arrives at 5:35am in the morning, departs for AKL around 8, EK407 returns to MEL around 8pm, then departs for DXB again around 10pm.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#669 Post by rev » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm

This will give Singapore a run for it's money imo.
Right now you can fly with Singapore, stop over in Singapore(8 hour wait there, and they no longer put you up in a complimentary hotel room), and then on to your destination.

So theoretically now we can fly straight to Dubai, then on to Athens or a connecting flight to wherever else. It will be interesting how long the wait for a connecting flight in Dubai will be.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#670 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

rev wrote:This will give Singapore a run for it's money imo.
Right now you can fly with Singapore, stop over in Singapore(8 hour wait there, and they no longer put you up in a complimentary hotel room), and then on to your destination.

So theoretically now we can fly straight to Dubai, then on to Athens or a connecting flight to wherever else. It will be interesting how long the wait for a connecting flight in Dubai will be.
1/2 of the Malaysia Airlines flights are timed for short stopovers to Europe, the other 1/2 are timed for short stopovers to SE Asia.
MAS has fairly competitive stopover times in KL.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#671 Post by Splashmo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Great news indeed! About time too. Slowly and surely we'll keep adding more flights. Now hopefully we'll see Qantas launch those rumoured Hong Kong flights, or maybe we'll get Jetstar international or Thai Airways going.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Adelaide Airport & Airline News

#672 Post by Aidan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Splashmo wrote:Great news indeed! About time too. Slowly and surely we'll keep adding more flights. Now hopefully we'll see Qantas launch those rumoured Hong Kong flights, or maybe we'll get Jetstar international or Thai Airways going.
What rumoured Hong Kong flights?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#673 Post by bm7500 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:31 am

EMIRATES AIRLINES TO FLY DIRECT TO ADELAIDE

The State Government and Adelaide Airport confirmed today that one of the world’s largest international
airlines will begin direct services between Adelaide and Dubai from 1 November 2012.
Acting Premier John Rau said Emirates would begin the service with four flights a week, linking Adelaide into
Dubai International Airport, one of the world’s major international hubs, providing access to Europe, the
Middle East and the east coast of the United States.

“Emirates flies to 100 destinations globally, including 29 European cities,” Mr Rau said.
“The agreement by Emirates to fly direct to Adelaide reflects the growing importance of South Australia as a
source of tourist and business travel.

“I am confident that the opening of this route will also encourage greater interest and investment from the
fast-growing markets of the Middle East and Europe.”

Managing Director of Adelaide Airport Limited (AAL) Mark Young also welcomed Emirates announcement
and said the new service would be the first ever operated by an international airline between Adelaide and the
Middle East.

“This service will open up a significant number of new and faster international connections for people
travelling to and from Adelaide,” Mr Young said.

“Emirates has indicated to us the new service will utilise the 354-seat Boeing 777-300ERs, which will be the
largest passenger aircraft to fly to and from Adelaide on a regular basis.”

Mr Young said the inbound flight from Dubai is scheduled to arrive at 2045 and leave Adelaide on the return
leg at 2245 thus offering international passengers a different travel option to the international airlines
currently flying in to Adelaide.

The Acting Premier said that as part of the agreement with the South Australian Government, Emirates will
maintain the direct flights through to at least the end of June 2016 and in return the Government has
negotiated a financial assistance and co-operative marketing package.

Mr Rau said that package has strict conditions attached on the service requirements. Since flying its first
routes out of Dubai with just two aircraft in 2005, Emirates has grown its fleet to more than 170 aircraft
servicing more than 120 destinations in more than 70 countries.

Emirates is currently the world’s largest operator of both the Airbus A380 and Boeing 777, flying one of the
youngest and one of the most modern fleets in worldwide commercial aviation.

Minister for Tourism Gail Gago said South Australia’s growing reputation for being a unique tourism
destination will be enhanced by easier access to Adelaide from the Middle East and Europe. “Kangaroo
Island, the Gateway to the Outback and our premium food and wine growing regions are draw cards that will
be even more accessible through direct flights,” she said.

http://www.premier.sa.gov.au
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

ghs

#674 Post by ghs » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Splashmo wrote:Great news indeed! About time too. Slowly and surely we'll keep adding more flights. Now hopefully we'll see Qantas launch those rumoured Hong Kong flights, or maybe we'll get Jetstar international or Thai Airways going.
From what I heard on the radio last night China is the next destination which is likely to have
direct flights to and from Adelaide. I am not sure which airline it would be but possibly Air Asia.

Aidan

Adelaide Airport & Airline News

#675 Post by Aidan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:16 pm

ghs wrote:
From what I heard on the radio last night China is the next destination which is likely to have
direct flights to and from Adelaide. I am not sure which airline it would be but possibly Air Asia.
China Southern is expected to be the nest airline to start services to Adelaide, as has been mentioned before on this thread. Bgeyond that there are quite a lot of airlines that Adelaide Airport is trying to attract, but no signs of success yet AFAIK.

Air Asia won't fly direct here from China because it's based in Malaysia, so if it flies to Adelaide it will be from there (or possibly as a tag route from Indonesia, though Indonesia's restrictive regulatory regime makes that unlikely).
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.