News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#961 Post by Stefan P » Fri May 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Yes, I am aware of that but it says 'subject to government approval'. My opinion is they didn't get the approval for the direct service, so their only other option was to start it via DRW.
Stefan

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#962 Post by Dazzeland » Sat May 25, 2013 10:58 am

Stefan P wrote:Yes, I am aware of that but it says 'subject to government approval'. My opinion is they didn't get the approval for the direct service, so their only other option was to start it via DRW.
I suppose so, I guess we will have to wait and see :cry:

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#963 Post by Shahkar » Fri May 31, 2013 8:15 pm

For the month of March, a total of 628,167 passed through ADL(highest for March was in 2011 with 632,227) compared to 610,966 last year, a total increase of 2.82%. An increase of 18.56% internationally, an increase of 1.92% domestically and a decrease of 4.23% regionally. While Perth had a total increase of 4.02% for March.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#964 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:07 pm

South Australia keen to secure direct China-Adelaide flights

The South Australian Government said it was in discussions with two airlines China Southern and China Eastern to fly direct to Adelaide, as it worked to tap the potential of the growing Chinese tourism market.

The Government said international visitor numbers to SA grew by 5.5 per cent in the year to March.

Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said the Chinese market was the key to South Australia boosting international visitors.

"We've brought the Chinese travel agents and journalists down and we've taken them over to Port Lincoln and to Kangaroo Island, down the Limestone Coast and the Riverland and other places and they're really excited about what we have to offer in South Australia," he said.

"I think now it's a matter of doing the marketing and we're going to work with our existing airlines and we're also trying to attract a Chinese airline to fly direct into Adelaide.

"It took eight years to get Emirates here so we're not going to say we're going to have someone here overnight, but we had very good discussions with both those airlines and we'll keep talking with them and other airlines throughout Asia."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-06/s ... section=sa

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#965 Post by Dazzeland » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Norman wrote:
South Australia keen to secure direct China-Adelaide flights

The South Australian Government said it was in discussions with two airlines China Southern and China Eastern to fly direct to Adelaide, as it worked to tap the potential of the growing Chinese tourism market.

The Government said international visitor numbers to SA grew by 5.5 per cent in the year to March.

Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said the Chinese market was the key to South Australia boosting international visitors.

"We've brought the Chinese travel agents and journalists down and we've taken them over to Port Lincoln and to Kangaroo Island, down the Limestone Coast and the Riverland and other places and they're really excited about what we have to offer in South Australia," he said.

"I think now it's a matter of doing the marketing and we're going to work with our existing airlines and we're also trying to attract a Chinese airline to fly direct into Adelaide.

"It took eight years to get Emirates here so we're not going to say we're going to have someone here overnight, but we had very good discussions with both those airlines and we'll keep talking with them and other airlines throughout Asia."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-06/s ... section=sa
Brilliant news! A direct flights to Guangzhou or Shanghai would be awesome :)

ruski17
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#966 Post by ruski17 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:23 pm

There has been talk of China Southern flying to Adelaide for a while now. This is from an article dated August last year:

"Tan Wangeng, the airline’s amenable president and chief executive,
who is highly regarded in the Chinese political hierarchy,
flagged Adelaide as the 6th port but remained coy on the 7th."

http://www.travelweekly.com.au/travel-t ... hina-south

Although its starting to look more promising, lets just hope it doesnt take 8 years, like it did with Emirates.

I still think AirAsiaX will be the next international addition. Hoping for an announcement soon.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#967 Post by Dazzeland » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:06 pm

ruski17 wrote: Although its starting to look more promising, lets just hope it doesnt take 8 years, like it did with Emirates
Fingers Crossed :wink:

ruski17
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#968 Post by ruski17 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Dazzeland wrote:
Stefan P wrote:Yes, I am aware of that but it says 'subject to government approval'. My opinion is they didn't get the approval for the direct service, so their only other option was to start it via DRW.
I sent an inquiry to Jetstar customer service a while back, just got a phone call back from them. What they told me was that they are definatly looking at ADL-DPS direct flights and are currently waiting on regulatory approval to come through, once they get that they are good to go.
Couldnt give me a time frame on when that might be. With a bit of luck soon.

mikey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#969 Post by mikey » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey guys, first post, long time reader/lurker on S-A
was having a look on the internet when I stumbled upon this article. Hopefully we might see something this year:
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian long-haul carrier AirAsia X said on Monday it plans to use funds of up to US$418 million from a public listing to more than triple its Airbus fleet and expand routes to meet demand in Asia-Pacific.

The budget carrier founded by aviation tycoon Tony Fernandes hopes to raise the proceeds in an initial public offering (IPO) ahead of its July 10 debut on the Malaysian bourse.

"The estimated amount based on the 1.45 ringgit (US$0.47) per issue share is between 1.1 billion ringgit and 1.3 billion ringgit," Nazir Razak, head of banking group CIMB which is running the IPO, told reporters after the prospectus launch.

AirAsia X had earlier cited a conservative amount saying the IPO could raise RM859 million (US$277 million) from the sale of 592.6 million new shares for between 1.15 to 1.45 ringgit each.

Analysts have said with last month's general election over, investors are looking for a wide range of stocks in Southeast Asia's third largest economy, sparking a fundraising fever in Malaysia.

AirAsia X chief executive Azran Osman Rani said the proceeds from the IPO would finance fleet and route expansion to cement its position in its core markets in Australia and Asia.

The carrier will take delivery of 23 Airbus A330-300 planes over the next four years beginning in July, while it has also placed a firm order for 10 A350-900s.

Detailing the airline's strategy, Azran said it will bolster its position in lucrative markets like Australia, China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan.

It would be followed by adding frequencies to current routes, opening new destinations including to Adelaide in Australia, Nagoya and Fukuoka in Japan and Busan in South Korea.

More info here: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/bus ... 03568.html

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#970 Post by Dazzeland » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:27 pm

ruski17 wrote:
Dazzeland wrote:
I sent an inquiry to Jetstar customer service a while back, just got a phone call back from them. What they told me was that they are definatly looking at ADL-DPS direct flights and are currently waiting on regulatory approval to come through, once they get that they are good to go.
Couldnt give me a time frame on when that might be. With a bit of luck soon.
Great news! You have no idea how great your timing was. I am booking a family holiday to Bali and was looking at this forum JUST before heading to VA to book! I might just wait a little bit now :P

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#971 Post by Uncle Monty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:39 am

I noticed in the Business liftout section in the Advertiser on Tuesday that tenders have been called to develop a 'water feature and rooftop garden' at the Adelaide Airport.

Does anyone have any info on these?

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#972 Post by bm7500 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 am

Adelaide Airport is a complete white out this morning as a sea fog has rolled in and has settled over the airport.

Some flights arrived & departed before 8am but there have been only a few movements since then.

Most aircraft that were scheduled to arrive here have diverted to either Melbourne, Mildura or Sydney.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#973 Post by Nort » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:45 pm

bm7500 wrote:Adelaide Airport is a complete white out this morning as a sea fog has rolled in and has settled over the airport.

Some flights arrived & departed before 8am but there have been only a few movements since then.

Most aircraft that were scheduled to arrive here have diverted to either Melbourne, Mildura or Sydney.
The fog this morning was insane. I was meant to fly out of Parafield this morning but after clearing and giving blue skies the fog actually reversed and came back.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#974 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:41 am

Uncle Monty wrote:I noticed in the Business liftout section in the Advertiser on Tuesday that tenders have been called to develop a 'water feature and rooftop garden' at the Adelaide Airport.

Does anyone have any info on these?
Would seem this is the plan for the remaining former vehicle departure bridge. What kind of a stupid re-development goes ahead and has no clear vision for the future of an ugly road bridge? Should have been removed complete prior to upgrades.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#975 Post by Splashmo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:32 am

The layout is just bizarre now - I can't think of any airport in Australia where the check-in area is on a different level from the methods of transport used to get to the airport. Every passenger departing Adelaide has to use an escalator or lift to get to check-in, unless they park on level two of the carpark. And although we've got a beautiful welcoming plaza, after being dropped off it's better to get in the carpark lifts than try and use the cramped ones in the terminal building.