News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#991 Post by Maximus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 am

Ho Really wrote:Now a couple of gripes re our Airport.
G'day Ho. Haven't heard from you in a while -- I wondered where you'd been. :)

I think it's safe to say that the new pickup/dropoff arrangements have been discussed 'to death' in the Carpark/Pedestrian Plaza thread. There are certainly some differences in opinion, but one common piece of ground does seem to be a collective :?: to the inability now to drop passengers off at the departures level. I don't wish to perpetuate the debate about the merits or otherwise of the remainder of the new arrangements however, because that really is a thorny topic...!

Agree with you re the international depatures arrangements. Hopefully with the carpark now finished, and also with the recent growth in international traffic, management can now turn its attention (and finances) towards improving this.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#992 Post by Vee » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Virgin has cemented its stake in the re-named, rebadged budget airline - Tigerair Australia.

Any thoughts on the implications for flights to/from Adelaide? Virgin and Tigerair.
Employment?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/br ... 6675963848

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#993 Post by Dazzeland » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Vee wrote:Virgin has cemented its stake in the re-named, rebadged budget airline - Tigerair Australia.

Any thoughts on the implications for flights to/from Adelaide? Virgin and Tigerair.
Employment?
On one hand it will have good implications for Adelaide, such as Virgin expanding the Adelaide base to accommodate tiger and even passing n their unused slots to Tiger during the off peak times to allow them to expand services out of Adelaide. On the other hand it could force Tiger to pull out of the Adelaide all together as their super-low fares would compete with Virgin too much (Adelaide is a price sensitive market, most tourists will use whichever airline is cheaper)

ruski17
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#994 Post by ruski17 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 am

Dazzeland wrote:
Vee wrote:Virgin has cemented its stake in the re-named, rebadged budget airline - Tigerair Australia.

Employment?
On one hand it will have good implications for Adelaide, such as Virgin expanding the Adelaide base to accommodate tiger and even passing n their unused slots to Tiger during the off peak times to allow them to expand services out of Adelaide. On the other hand it could force Tiger to pull out of the Adelaide all together as their super-low fares would compete with Virgin too much (Adelaide is a price sensitive market, most tourists will use whichever airline is cheaper)
I think that Virgin purchased a controlling stake in Tigerair to compete with Jetstar, and I cant see that clashing with Virgin Australia business plan. Virgin will compete with Qantas and Tiger Air will compete with Jetstar. In doing so Australian aviation has effectively reverted back to a duopoly, like we had back in the Ansett days, but Virgin is no Ansett and I think this will only put more pressure on Qantas/Jetstar. Which is a good thing for us travelling public, as this should reflect positively on airfare prices. Well lets hope so anyway.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/compani ... z2YhKXf134

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#995 Post by Maximus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:25 pm

A really interesting and positive article in InDaily today reporting on the first six months of daily Emirates services. Take-aways include:

* load factors (incl. cargo) above expectations;
* new SA logo working well overseas;
* some passengers are transiting through Adelaide on their way to Dubai (e.g. Canberra - Adelaide - Dubai); and
* possibility of a 2nd daily flight mentioned, most likely through Asia.
Adelaide delivers for Emirates
Kevin Naughton | 18 July 2013

Dubai-based airline Emirates says it couldn’t be happier with the first six months of its Adelaide operations, with passenger loads running almost a third above budget.

Bookings for the period July to September are already at 86 per cent capacity compared to a budgeted 66 per cent.

Emirates’ four flights per week out of Adelaide started in November and moved to daily services in February.

In the period January to June, Emirates carried 48,176 outbound passengers and 36,720 inbound.

Emirates SA/NT district manager Paul Jury told InDaily the above-expectations performance came from some unexpected areas.

continues...

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#996 Post by bm7500 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I just finished reading this article too. I'm very pleased that people are supporting this new service and if they put on an additional daily service via Asia, that will be the icing on the cake. :)

All we need now is for Qantas to increase their flights to/from Canberra and to get rid of the awful Dash-8 service between our two cities.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#997 Post by Uncle Monty » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Just saw a Singapore Airlines A380 take off from Adelaide Airport whilst on my lunch time stroll along the Torrens. Now that was a sweet surprise! Does anyone know if it was a diversion from Melbourne due to the stormy weather today?

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#998 Post by bm7500 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:Just saw a Singapore Airlines A380 take off from Adelaide Airport whilst on my lunch time stroll along the Torrens. Now that was a sweet surprise! Does anyone know if it was a diversion from Melbourne due to the stormy weather today?
Not an A380, it was a Singapore Airlines 747 freighter.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#999 Post by Dazzeland » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:04 pm

bm7500 wrote:I just finished reading this article too. I'm very pleased that people are supporting this new service and if they put on an additional daily service via Asia, that will be the icing on the cake. :)

All we need now is for Qantas to increase their flights to/from Canberra and to get rid of the awful Dash-8 service between our two cities.
Hear Hear! I do hope that we get a daylight flight via Bangkok or somewhere that we don't already have flights to. Also we won't be seeing the end of the Dash 8's any time soon, Qantas needs to ferry them to Adelaide so that they can fly the Port Lincoln services because we don't have a Dash 8 base here, only 737s.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1000 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:47 pm

I reckon anyone going from Canberra to Dubai via Adelaide has rocks in their head.

Yes, transferring in Sydney is not nice, but the 10-across in economy Emirates 777 would have nothing on the Emirates A380 or Qantas A380 you get ex Sydney.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1001 Post by Stefan P » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Dazzeland wrote:
bm7500 wrote:I just finished reading this article too. I'm very pleased that people are supporting this new service and if they put on an additional daily service via Asia, that will be the icing on the cake. :)

Hear Hear! I do hope that we get a daylight flight via Bangkok or somewhere that we don't already have flights to. Also we won't be seeing the end of the Dash 8's any time soon, Qantas needs to ferry them to Adelaide so that they can fly the Port Lincoln services because we don't have a Dash 8 base here, only 737s.
The DHC8 that operates to Pt. Lincoln swaps in Melbourne when it operates the QF2066/2069 service 4x a week.
Stefan

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1002 Post by Maximus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 am

muzzamo wrote:I reckon anyone going from Canberra to Dubai via Adelaide has rocks in their head.

Yes, transferring in Sydney is not nice, but the 10-across in economy Emirates 777 would have nothing on the Emirates A380 or Qantas A380 you get ex Sydney.
Muzz, from my own personal Canberra perspective, I've been very surprised since I moved here at just how strongly anti-Sydney Airport some peoeple are. I know plenty of people who will try to avoid it at all costs. Just my own observation, of course. Also, I reckon there would be plenty of people who have no idea of the differences in amenity between various aircraft.
Dazzeland wrote:I do hope that we get a daylight flight via Bangkok or somewhere that we don't already have flights to.
Yeah, you'd think Bangkok would make a lot of sense for them, seeing as it's not currently serviced from Adelaide.

As for the Dash 8 from Canberra, I'm in two minds. Yes, they're noisy, slower and there's no in-flight entertainment system, but the seat pitch is actually better than a 737, it's only 2x2 seating, and you generally fly at a lower altitude, so the view out the window is better. Plus it feels more like REAL flying! :D

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#1003 Post by Dazzeland » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Stefan P wrote:
Dazzeland wrote:

The DHC8 that operates to Pt. Lincoln swaps in Melbourne when it operates the QF2066/2069 service 4x a week.
I stand corrected :)

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1004 Post by Splashmo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:44 am

muzzamo wrote:I reckon anyone going from Canberra to Dubai via Adelaide has rocks in their head.

Last night I flew in from Sydney on Qantas and there were passengers continuing to Dubai, so it's not just Canberrans making use of the service.

And this is despite an Emirates flight leaving Sydney at 9pm in the evening - it must be full or people just book through Adelaide because it's cheaper?

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1005 Post by bm7500 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:18 am

Adelaide Airport has become the second airport in the world (I'm not sure which was the first) to be added to the Google Maps indoor ‘Street View’ technology. :applause:

You can now wander through the terminal, down the aerobridges and even alongside the runway. The virtual tour consists of 2436 high-definition photos linked together into 203 panoramic images showcasing the two-level terminal and the pedestrian plaza.

Check it out now http://goo.gl/maps/lo5Bw