News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1186 Post by TooFar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:57 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Image
As someone who passes through Adelaide Airport regularly, I don't see these plaza based amenities being very successful.

When I'm arriving, I want to get through security as quick as possible, so I would prefer more amenities in the secure zone. When I'm leaving, I want to get out quickly and it would be extremely unlikely I would stop for a subway.

I agree with the other posters who think these plaza based amenities are an afterthought and not part of any original master plan.

DaveAdl
Gold-Member ;)

#1187 Post by DaveAdl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:30 am

TooFar wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Image
As someone who passes through Adelaide Airport regularly, I don't see these plaza based amenities being very successful.

When I'm arriving, I want to get through security as quick as possible, so I would prefer more amenities in the secure zone. When I'm leaving, I want to get out quickly and it would be extremely unlikely I would stop for a subway.

I agree with the other posters who think these plaza based amenities are an afterthought and not part of any original master plan.
I have to say the vendors outside the airport strike me as quite odd I agree with everyone else surely there would be a greater success for these vendors after security in the airport I don't know why o why they have vendors in the plaza

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1188 Post by Aidan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:17 am

Presumably because outside it's low rent, inside it's high rent, and airside is even higher rent.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1189 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Even if unsuccessful the Subway and any other stores that open on or around the plaza can at least add some semblance of life.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1190 Post by Stefan P » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 am

Evening all,

Just a little piece of history to share...

On the 31st of March 1984 Singapore Airlines operated its 1st service to Adelaide. Initially operating every Saturday Singapore-Adelaide-Melbourne-Adelaide-Singapore. Over the years frequencies have varied, many aircraft types such as the B747, A310, A340, B777-200 have been used. Today, 30 years later Singapore Airlines operates 12 flights a week to Adelaide (Currently 9 a week until March 28th).
Last edited by Stefan P on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#1191 Post by Maximus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Not a massive announcement, but nice to see this little snippet from Air Asia...
Qantas chief Alan Joyce playing a 'dangerous' game: Air Asia CEO
Date March 26, 2014 - 8:11AM
Bianca Hartge-Hazelman

Embattled Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce has been given some free advice from the outspoken head of Malaysia’s Air Asia; get on with the job and stop trying to do deals with government.

“I think the national carrier needs to re-evaluate its whole business,” Air Asia group chief executive Tony Fernandes told the Australian Financial Review...

<snip>

“We have a big presence in Australia, which is growing.

“Adelaide was a recent addition and we will continue to add flights and grow in that market."

Full article
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1192 Post by Paulns » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Does anyone know what's happening at the airport right next to IKEA?? Looks like there's a lot of earth moving going on there? Is IKEA expanding?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1193 Post by bm7500 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:01 pm

They are building a Masters hardware store.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#1194 Post by alexczarn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:19 pm

bm7500 wrote:They are building a Masters hardware store.
That's the Woolworths/Lowe's co-operations store right?

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1195 Post by bm7500 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 am

That's the one.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1196 Post by Vee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:42 pm

More jobs at Adelaide Airport as Jetstar sets up its Adelaide base.
Jetstar Adelaide base welcomed by SA Government
The South Australian Government says a new Jetstar base in Adelaide means the airline's total SA workforce is now more than 170. Employment Gail Gago says it is a vital boost for local jobs.

"The transfer of aircraft from Darwin has seen Jetstar hire 85 new customer service staff in a range of flying and ground operations roles, along with the relocation of five cabin crew from interstate and more than 40 pilots," she said.

Jetstar has increased services through Adelaide Airport, but cut nearly 100 jobs from Darwin.
Ms Gago has welcomed the additional Adelaide roles.

"Jobs are absolutely fundamental to our economic and social wellbeing and this is great news for South Australia to see these additional 130 jobs being placed here and it's built on the back of growing business here in South Australia which is a great confidence booster," she said.

Jetstar Australia and New Zealand CEO David Hall says the Adelaide base will support more inbound tourism.

"Services operating from Auckland into Adelaide and of course Adelaide up into Denpasar as well and the additional flights we've been able to offer underpinned by having four aircraft now based here in Adelaide means that people can travel more often to Melbourne and Sydney," he said.
ABC News:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-07/j ... nt/5372024

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1197 Post by muzzamo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:02 pm

What does it mean when an aircraft is based somewhere?

Does this mean that this is where it "sleeps" at night?

does this reflect the home state of the cabin crew for that aircraft?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1198 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:02 pm

muzzamo wrote:What does it mean when an aircraft is based somewhere?

Does this mean that this is where it "sleeps" at night?

does this reflect the home state of the cabin crew for that aircraft?
Yes to both of those.

DaveAdl
Gold-Member ;)

#1199 Post by DaveAdl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:28 pm

An interesting little note travelled Jetstar for the first time for a business day trip (usually Qantas or Virgin) and their welcome to Adelaide is signed off with "thanks from your Adelaide based aircraft and crew"

markleslie
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1200 Post by markleslie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:17 pm

ALERT!

Singapore airlines online (and on the phone) are not offering any day flights to Adelaide after mid August - only the ones leaving Singapore around midnight.

What is happening - they just increased to 5 of the second flights per week? Unless they are going to try bringing Scoot in to compete with AirAsia X? I would have thought they would have had a bit of an increase after MH370, and Cathay reducing their daily flights.