News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1231 Post by Aidan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:28 pm

What use is a DVD that big? It won't fit into a standard DVD player!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

vozdra
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1232 Post by vozdra » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Might interest some regarding the ramp to the check-in area and why it is not used
With the opening of our new multi level car park in August 2012 and the relocation of the drop off / pickup area, both the lower road and the upper road were closed to the general public vehicle traffic. This was part of the design criteria to both open up the face of the terminal and in compliance with current international security guidelines, to provide a 70 metre exclusion buffer for private vehicle access. These guidelines apply to any new major construction works around international airport terminals.

Currently there is considerable pedestrian traffic across the link bridge to and from the car park and any vehicle traffic would create pedestrian/vehicle conflict which was one of the design criteria in the new plaza development. The ramp is currently only used for emergency vehicle and Federal Police access.

In due course we will demolish the ramp access to the north. Future Terminal expansions to increase checkin areas will also encroach on this roadway area.

So, no, the roadway will not be reopened to the public.

ChillyPhilly

#1233 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:52 am

Wasn't the second-level terminal ramp (apparently) reserved for future light rail?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#1234 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:50 am

Aidan wrote:What use is a DVD that big? It won't fit into a standard DVD player!
Maybe it was a laserdisc?

My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1235 Post by AtD » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

alexczarn wrote:Isn't Adelaide the only major airport in Australia without a freeway connection? I hope when the North South Motorway gets connected between Torrens and Darlington that somehow there is provision for a freeway link to the airport..
Sydney Domestic isn't connected to a freeway. The traffic is awful.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1236 Post by fifty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:18 pm

monotonehell wrote:
alexczarn wrote:Isn't Adelaide the only major airport in Australia without a freeway connection? I hope when the North South Motorway gets connected between Torrens and Darlington that somehow there is provision for a freeway link to the airport..
What makes you think it needs one? Perhaps the reason the other Australian airports all have one is that they are in the middle of nowhere?

Any way the north south freeway by any other name will be close by when complete.
Why is it needed? Because the Master Plan's own figures show vehicular transport to be the overwhelming dominant current and future method of accessing the airport, and they are already planning upgrades to SDBD to cater for it. This is typical government short-term thinking. There is absolutely no future in SDBD upgrades given the zoning and width of that corridor.

Richmond Rd is the obvious corridor for upgraded non-stop vehicular access. You can see some thought has gone in this direction via the 'Airport Link' in the updated Master Plan, although it will only cater for controlled access for taxis, public transport, etc..). But surely this is how future fullscale access could occur with a direct link to a major intersection with N/S Freeway, continuing up Richmond Rd to an upgraded and non-stop Greenhill Rd/Glen Osmond rd to SE Freeway. The new freight terminal area in Airport East is another justification for all this, on industrial/commercial grounds, triggering Federal funding assistance.

Anyway, it's nice to dream...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1237 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 pm

fifty wrote:Why is it needed? Because the Master Plan's own figures show vehicular transport to be the overwhelming dominant current and future method of accessing the airport...
But one freeway? Freeways tend to go from one place to a linear number of places. Patrons of the airport will probably come from all over.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1238 Post by fifty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:47 pm

monotonehell wrote:
fifty wrote:Why is it needed? Because the Master Plan's own figures show vehicular transport to be the overwhelming dominant current and future method of accessing the airport...
But one freeway? Freeways tend to go from one place to a linear number of places. Patrons of the airport will probably come from all over.
I think the only reason people are even suggesting a freeway connection to the airport is to link it to the N/S Freeway (South Rd) whenever that will be done, as you say, in order to connect to airport patrons that will increasingly use such a road from all parts north and south of the city.

Upgrading Greenhill Rd/Glen Osmond rd is just my pie in the sky dreaming, but based on the same logic to connect patrons East of the city and the hills to the airport, and to finally provide the non-stop heavy transport route from north of the city to the major Eastern-states SE Freeway conduit that industry (and Portrush Rd residents) are crying out for.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1239 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 pm

A Qantas A380 was at the airport tonight around 9ish.

I got some photos which I'll post tomorrow.

ChillyPhilly

#1240 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:38 am

fifty wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
I think the only reason people are even suggesting a freeway connection to the airport is to link it to the N/S Freeway (South Rd) whenever that will be done, as you say, in order to connect to airport patrons that will increasingly use such a road from all parts north and south of the city.

Upgrading Greenhill Rd/Glen Osmond rd is just my pie in the sky dreaming, but based on the same logic to connect patrons East of the city and the hills to the airport, and to finally provide the non-stop heavy transport route from north of the city to the major Eastern-states SE Freeway conduit that industry (and Portrush Rd residents) are crying out for.
Why not Cross Road in that case?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1241 Post by fifty » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:31 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Why not Cross Road in that case?
Offtopic, but here goes....

I have often thought the same. There are difficulties with both. Aside from the simple airport extension, my thinking is that Richmond/Greenhill/Glen Osmond is better due to i) the presence of parklands along much of the corridor allowing flexibility with design and cheaper additional width*; ii) land value and zoning around Richmond Rd is maybe easier to accommodate a large flyover-type intersection with Sth Rd, compared to Cross Rds which has already been partly developed, iii) Glen Osmond Rd and Cross Rd residents and businesses will both put up a hell of a fight, but Glen Osmond Rd is yet to see any development and is really overdue compared to Cross Rd and is shorter in length; and iv) perhaps most importantly a freeway going down Greenhill Rd can include at least one off/on ramp directly to the city, adding a major economic justification to its case.

*Assuming the parkland nazis can be overcome

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#1242 Post by ac83 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:25 pm

crawf wrote:A Qantas A380 was at the airport tonight around 9ish.

Any idea why?

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#1243 Post by Alyx » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 pm

ac83 wrote:
crawf wrote:A Qantas A380 was at the airport tonight around 9ish.

Any idea why?
Diverted en-route to Melbourne due to fog.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#1244 Post by alexczarn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:15 am

fifty wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Why not Cross Road in that case?
Offtopic, but here goes....

I have often thought the same. There are difficulties with both. Aside from the simple airport extension, my thinking is that Richmond/Greenhill/Glen Osmond is better due to i) the presence of parklands along much of the corridor allowing flexibility with design and cheaper additional width*; ii) land value and zoning around Richmond Rd is maybe easier to accommodate a large flyover-type intersection with Sth Rd, compared to Cross Rds which has already been partly developed, iii) Glen Osmond Rd and Cross Rd residents and businesses will both put up a hell of a fight, but Glen Osmond Rd is yet to see any development and is really overdue compared to Cross Rd and is shorter in length; and iv) perhaps most importantly a freeway going down Greenhill Rd can include at least one off/on ramp directly to the city, adding a major economic justification to its case.

*Assuming the parkland nazis can be overcome
Kind of doing the same purpose the Hills Freeway did in the MATS plan.

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#1245 Post by Stefan P » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Evening all,

Air Asia X look set to change their Adelaide schedules from 1/5/15. They will be reshuffling flights to introduce 2 night flights...

From May 1st 2015 to June 30th 2015

D7246 Dep KUL 2325 Arr ADL 0845
D7247 Dep ADL 1000 Arr KUL 1525
(Operates Monday, Wednesday, Thursday)

D7242 Dep KUL 1015 Arr ADL 1945
D7243 Dep ADL 2125 Arr KUL 0425
(Operates Friday and Saturday)

From July 1st 2015 to October 24th 2015

D7246 Dep KUL 2325 Arr ADL 0845
D7247 Dep ADL 1000 Arr KUL 1525
(Operates Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday & Friday)

D7242 Dep KUL 1015 Arr ADL 1945
D7243 Dep ADL 2125 Arr KUL 0425
(Operates Friday and Saturday)
Note: there will be 2 flights on Friday's from July 1st.
Stefan