News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#1966 Post by rubberman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 am

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:38 pm
What's it delivering?
The ego of {insert favourite politician's name here}.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#1967 Post by Allkai » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:38 pm
What's it delivering?
Anton, obviously.

"Is Antonov?

Yes he is Captain".

Sorry.

ChillyPhilly

#1968 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Not my photo, but here it is.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1969 Post by Goodsy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm

It was delivering an aircraft simulator for the RAAF

Why didn't it land at the RAAF base?

Llessur2002

#1970 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Goodsy wrote:It was delivering an aircraft simulator for the RAAF

Runway length? Customs requirements? Security restrictions?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1971 Post by rev » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Because it's not a RAAF aircraft?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1972 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am

Goodsy wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Saw part of it being transported along Tapleys Hill Rd when I was heading down to check out the Antonov.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1973 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 pm

From https://www.facebook.com/AdelaideAirport/

Adelaide, it's our lucky day! One of the world's largest freighters, the Antonov 124-100, will again be visiting Adelaide on Tuesday morning (December 19) – currently scheduled to arrive at 6:30am.

The direction of landing will depend on weather conditions and the advice of air traffic control. Apps and websites such as Flight Radar 24 and Flight Aware are a good way to track the arrival and see from which direction aircraft are landing.

We have been advised that the Antonov will be staying in Adelaide for a couple of days, so there’s plenty of opportunity to see it even if you’re not able to view the landing.

Please note that last minute changes to schedules for freighter services such as this are common, and that this flight could arrive before or after the advised time above. We will provide updates where possible.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#1974 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:00 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 pm
From https://www.facebook.com/AdelaideAirport/

Adelaide, it's our lucky day! One of the world's largest freighters, the Antonov 124-100, will again be visiting Adelaide on Tuesday morning (December 19) – currently scheduled to arrive at 6:30am.

The direction of landing will depend on weather conditions and the advice of air traffic control. Apps and websites such as Flight Radar 24 and Flight Aware are a good way to track the arrival and see from which direction aircraft are landing.

We have been advised that the Antonov will be staying in Adelaide for a couple of days, so there’s plenty of opportunity to see it even if you’re not able to view the landing.

Please note that last minute changes to schedules for freighter services such as this are common, and that this flight could arrive before or after the advised time above. We will provide updates where possible.
We have been advised that the Antonov will be leaving Adelaide tomorrow evening, at this stage scheduled for 1930hrs (a change from the previously expected longer stay). This time is subject to change.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#1975 Post by Thunderstruck » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:22 am

In again this morning, out again at 7:30pm tonight (subject to change)
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1976 Post by rev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 15a51a830f

Hindmarsh MP Steve Georganas defends Adelaide Airport curfew amid poll showing support for 24-hour operations
Paul Starick, Sunday Mail (SA)
December 30, 2017 7:46pm
Subscriber only

Why Adelaide must rethink its jet curfew

THE federal MP representing suburbs near Adelaide Airport is vowing to fight to protect the overnight curfew as an Advertiser.com.au poll shows overwhelming support for change.

Hindmarsh MP Steve Georganas, whose electorate includes the airport, cut his political teeth fighting for the curfew in the late 1990s. The ban on passenger-carrying jet flights between 11pm and 6am was implemented in 2000.

The Advertiser yesterday revealed Adelaide Airport chairman Rob Chapman is urging community discussion about the curfew, saying changing the passenger flight ban by as little as an hour could create a $500 million economic boost.

Late yesterday more than 80 per cent of more than 1500 respondents to an Advertiser. com.au poll backed curfew change: 47.7 per cent said Adelaide should be a 24-hour airport, while 36.27 per cent said the curfew should change to midnight to 5am. Only 16.03 per cent backed the status quo.
Hindmarsh MP Steve Georganas.

But Mr Georganas said it was not uncommon for airports in major cities to have curfews, citing Hong Kong and New York.

“The benefit that Adelaide Airport enjoys is that it is 6km from the CBD and, therefore, we need a good balance between the interests of the airport and its residents in and around the airport,” he said.

Mr Chapman highlighted reports by Deloitte and KPMG that make the economic case for greater flexibility to help attract more flights.

Federal authorities are proposing to bring the curfew into line with Sydney and Gold Coast airports, which could make it slightly harder for flights to get in and out.

Of course what the MP doesn't tell you is his house is under the flight path too

Patrick_27

#1977 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:09 am

rev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 15a51a830f

Hindmarsh MP Steve Georganas defends Adelaide Airport curfew amid poll showing support for 24-hour operations
Paul Starick, Sunday Mail (SA)
December 30, 2017 7:46pm
Subscriber only

Why Adelaide must rethink its jet curfew

THE federal MP representing suburbs near Adelaide Airport is vowing to fight to protect the overnight curfew as an Advertiser.com.au poll shows overwhelming support for change.

Hindmarsh MP Steve Georganas, whose electorate includes the airport, cut his political teeth fighting for the curfew in the late 1990s. The ban on passenger-carrying jet flights between 11pm and 6am was implemented in 2000.

The Advertiser yesterday revealed Adelaide Airport chairman Rob Chapman is urging community discussion about the curfew, saying changing the passenger flight ban by as little as an hour could create a $500 million economic boost.

Late yesterday more than 80 per cent of more than 1500 respondents to an Advertiser. com.au poll backed curfew change: 47.7 per cent said Adelaide should be a 24-hour airport, while 36.27 per cent said the curfew should change to midnight to 5am. Only 16.03 per cent backed the status quo.
Hindmarsh MP Steve Georganas.

But Mr Georganas said it was not uncommon for airports in major cities to have curfews, citing Hong Kong and New York.

“The benefit that Adelaide Airport enjoys is that it is 6km from the CBD and, therefore, we need a good balance between the interests of the airport and its residents in and around the airport,” he said.

Mr Chapman highlighted reports by Deloitte and KPMG that make the economic case for greater flexibility to help attract more flights.

Federal authorities are proposing to bring the curfew into line with Sydney and Gold Coast airports, which could make it slightly harder for flights to get in and out.

Of course what the MP doesn't tell you is his house is under the flight path too
80% of 1,500 respondents (of 1.3 million people living in Adelaide) voted in favour of such change, what The Advertiser doesn't tell you is that most of these people live in the plush suburbs of Adelaide and are not remotely disturbed by the noise of the flight path.

ChillyPhilly

#1978 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 am

I have an uncle who lived in Cowandilla just east of Marion Road for years. He had no issue.

Then there were my godparents, who lived a short distance north. They have both recently passed away but lived just off Henley Beach Road for at least thirty years (probably more) until late 2016 and plane noise was no problem for them either.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#1979 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:48 am

I'm smack bang under the flight path - no issues for me. In fact I like it sometimes, watching them go by. The noise isn't even concerning; it's part and parcel of what makes up an airport and aeroplane.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#1980 Post by rubberman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 am

I think it's fair to reconsider curfew hours as noise levels from aircraft drop.

What was reasonable for propellor and jet aircraft in the 60s is different with modern aircraft.

Perhaps a curfew based on aircraft type and noise level, rather than strictly time based? Maybe more restrictive for noisy aircraft say 2200hrs to 0700, and less restrictive for quieter aircraft, say 2400hrs to 0500hrs, down to zero curfew for really quiet aircraft.