News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2011 Post by Maximus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 am

HeapsGood wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:46 pm
I don't know how long the Adelaide Airport has had the upgraded bathrooms, but they are fantastic. They have ditched the disgusting horrible Dyson Airblades for an easy to use under the mirror soap, water and drying system. It is simply fantastic. WD to Adelaide Airport. I am a very happy man.
Since last year sometime. It's been a long time coming. You may (or may not!) recall I emailed the Airport about this several years ago.

They're certainly much improved. Aside from ditching the Airblades (which, incidentally, seem to be disappearing gradually from public toilets in general), I reckon the biggest improvement is also ditching the doors, which means no more touching a door handle that has been touched by thousands of others, including many who probably didn't bother washing their hands.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2012 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 am

AdelaideGold wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:38 am
Sir Tim said Emirates would likely replace its remaining 777s flying into Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide with A380s following its recent order.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... 4yz04.html
I'll be very impressed if Emirates are able to make a viable business case for daily flights in and out of Adelaide with an A380!

ChillyPhilly

#2013 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 pm

I'd love to see regular A380s in Adelaide.

Well, any A380s.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2014 Post by rev » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Surprised nobody posted this. Its behind the paywall, and couldn't get to it the usual google way, but surprisingly the facebook link took me to the actual article.
Adelaide Airport’s original international terminal to be demolished for new taxi drop-off zone, hotel forecourt
Brad Crouch, The Advertiser
February 11, 2018 6:43pm
Subscriber only

ADELAIDE Airport’s original “tin shed” international terminal building will be demolished this week to make way for new developments.

A dedicated taxi drop-off zone will ease congestion in the current drop-off area for all users. The demolition will also create space for a forecourt for the new seven-storey Atura Hotel and make room for future terminal expansions.

The old international terminal building was opened in 1982 and replaced by the current terminal in 2005.

Passengers had something of a love-hate relationship with the terminal, thrilled that it finally brought international flights to Adelaide but lamenting the basic facilities.

A Qantas jet parked at the then-new international terminal at Adelaide Airport, in October 1982.

Since 2005, it has solely been used for Rex arrivals, who from Tuesday will be bussed to the northern entrance of the main terminal and collect luggage in the main baggage hall.

Adelaide Airport managing director Mark Young said the old international building held fond, and not-so-fond, memories for many travellers.

“It was always meant to be a temporary facility with just the one aerobridge and was variously described as ‘utilitarian’ and ‘a tin shed’,” he said.

Another artist’s impression of the Atura-branded Adelaide Airport hotel.

“It quickly outgrew itself but it took another 23 years before it was replaced by the current terminal. It has played a key role in South Australia’s aviation history but we’re excited that we’re moving on to bigger and better things for our customers.”

Mr Young said the new facilities would improve the customer experience for passengers and hotel guests.

“We’ve spent more than $8 million on taxi facilities over the past decade and we’re now investing a further $4 million,” he said, adding many customers wanted an airport hotel to make catching early morning flights easier.

The hotel will have a restaurant and bar, business centre, function and meeting spaces, and a walkway linking it with domestic and international check-in areas.

Passengers arriving at Adelaide first international flight in 1982 used shopping trolleys as luggage carriers.

Adelaide’s original international terminal

■ May 31, 1982: Construction started

■ November 2, 1982: Opened by Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser and Premier David Tonkin

■ November 2, 1982: First international arrival — Qantas QF18 (Boeing 747B) en route to Melbourne from London and Singapore. Passengers used grocery trolleys for luggage

■ November 4, 1982: First international departure — Qantas flight to Auckland

■ Number of aircraft bays: 2

■ Number of aerobridges: 1

■ October 7, 2005: New terminal opened
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6a88278d49

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#2015 Post by Pistol » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Qantas international flight in Adelaide - now that's history!
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2016 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 am

5 months to construct the old International Terminal. No wonder it was a tin shed!

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2017 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pm

It probably was a big Ikea project :lol:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#2018 Post by Listy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:40 pm

At least in the old terminal you didn't have to fight your way through a duty free shop just to escape the building after 24 hours of no sleep with piles of bags and grumpy kids in tow ...

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2019 Post by muzzamo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am

Listy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:40 pm
At least in the old terminal you didn't have to fight your way through a duty free shop just to escape the building after 24 hours of no sleep with piles of bags and grumpy kids in tow ...
Our duty free shop is modest compared to the obnoxious mazes that have been built as part of any international terminal upgrades from the past 5 years or so. I came through Sydney international airport this week and it is massive, obnoxious, in your face and not even remotely subtle.

Heaps-legit
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2020 Post by Heaps-legit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Anyone know what’s going in next to Aldi at the airport? Fences have gone up around an empty lot this week!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2021 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:48 am

Heaps-legit wrote:Anyone know what’s going in next to Aldi at the airport? Fences have gone up around an empty lot this week!
I believe it will be a Kennards Storage.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2022 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Hotel update from Saturday

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2023 Post by how good is he » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 am

Curious if anyone knows if the hotel is built with a higher level of acoustic engineering/sound proofing for the airplane noise? I expect windows are commercial grade, double glazed but what other things did/could they do?

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#2024 Post by Westside » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:10 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 am
Curious if anyone knows if the hotel is built with a higher level of acoustic engineering/sound proofing for the airplane noise? I expect windows are commercial grade, double glazed but what other things did/could they do?
Why? It's not under or near the flight path...

Llessur2002

#2025 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Westside wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:10 pm
how good is he wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 am
Why? It's not under or near the flight path...
There's a fairly constant drone at the airport - presumably from the auxiliary power units and the turboprop planes. Not sure how much this would penetrate standard glazing and insulation though - I've never lived that close to an airport before. Presumably the curfew would make this less of an issue at the hours guests are likely to be sleeping.