News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2116 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:40 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm
how good is he wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:57 am
Anyone know/suggest where the light rail stop could or would go? I have seen video renders (on you tube) showing the stop/station just before the new hotel...but seems a bit pointless unless it gets closer to the terminal?
The stop will go in the allocated easement just before the hotel, it might look out of the way but it's not that far out of the way when you consider that it's right next to the private car drop off area.
probably wishful thinking, but It would be great for it to go directly under the terminal in a tunnel. Station at the Airport, one at Harbor town and loop down Tapleys Hill Road to join the Glenelg line. Create a giant loop
...Why would that be necessary for trams? Simple, just allocate space for a ground level tramway which I'm fairly sure has already been done. If you want to spend hundred millions of dollars more (completely unnecessary considering how many people will likely use the system) then what you're talking is suited for heavy rail. But rather than unnecessarily throw money around just to have some over-the-top system, why not just build what is required? A tram will do at ground level will do.

Nathan

#2117 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm

As much as I advocate for connections between retail precincts and good public transport, I really don't think an underground tram to Harbortown is a worthwhile pursuit.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Adelaide Airport expansion

#2118 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Major development starting straight away.

Not quite sure what to make of it yet myself, but will certainly be very interesting.

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/corp ... n-project/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide Airport expansion

#2119 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

My only reservation is the airport may lose its light, spacious and relaxing feeling. That to me is what makes it such a pleasant airport compared to most others.

Hopefully not!

Ho Really

#2120 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Since Gate 18 will be permanent for international use will there be an aerobridge upgrade for the Airbus A380? A question not answered in the press release and fact sheet.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#2121 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:48 pm

There's no need for a tram to go underground anywhere at the airport. We're not Changi. And surely not to Harbour Town. There is room to fit a tram stop above ground somewhere. It all depends how close you want to get to the main terminal. That's the only question.

Cheers

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2122 Post by Brando » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Since Gate 18 will be permanent for international use will there be an aerobridge upgrade for the Airbus A380? A question not answered in the press release and fact sheet.

Cheers
Good point and I haven't seen anything yet.

I do remember A380 capacity in the initial future plan a few years back.

Patrick_27

#2123 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 pm

I think Gate 18 already allows for A380 use...

For those of you curious of the layout of the extension, you'll find one here... Having now seen the layout, I'm seriously concerned with this development being a bandaid fix to a much larger problem which is space. Even with this exertion, it's as if they're just trying to cram international flights into whatever spare space they can find... I'd rather see International flights isolated to the east of the terminal rather than domestic having to work around an international area plonked right in the middle.
https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/corp ... re_Web.pdf

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#2124 Post by Haso » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 pm

For those of you curious of the layout of the extension, you'll find one here... Having now seen the layout, I'm seriously concerned with this development being a bandaid fix to a much larger problem which is space. Even with this exertion, it's as if they're just trying to cram international flights into whatever spare space they can find... I'd rather see International flights isolated to the east of the terminal rather than domestic having to work around an international area plonked right in the middle.
I agree with you. It should be as one separate part of the building.
If I am not mistaken, firstly we will have to go on the second level, (boarding pass. luggage). After that we will have a nice walk toward (International) stairs and go down to the first level (passport control). Once done we will go up again on the second level… and at the end you will go down toward the bridge. With this ups and downs, I can’t see any elevator or provisio for elderly people and people with disabilities. Of course my comment is based on what I see and I might be wrong.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Ho Really

#2125 Post by Ho Really » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
But there's no mention of an extra aerobridge for the upperdeck.
Patrick_27 wrote:
The layout isn't very clear. That's why I said earlier I couldn't make a full-on comment. But from what you see here it looks convoluted. I think the terminal was not designed properly from the start now that we see this. Separating International and Domestic on opposite ends of the terminal building would have been best and when needed to be expanded move the Domestic further along the building southwest where I think it will be extended anyway. At some point the Check-in Hall will also be extended in that direction.
Haso wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am
I agree with you. It should be as one separate part of the building.
If I am not mistaken, firstly we will have to go on the second level, (boarding pass. luggage). After that we will have a nice walk toward (International) stairs and go down to the first level (passport control). Once done we will go up again on the second level… and at the end you will go down toward the bridge. With this ups and downs, I can’t see any elevator or provisio for elderly people and people with disabilities. Of course my comment is based on what I see and I might be wrong.
If we need to go down and up this will become a joke. Sure the elderly and people with disabilities will have access to lifts but why make a simple process into something difficult? It is possible the architects/designers have factored in another change in future when this part of the terminal actually becomes 100 percent International. Then things will be smoothed over.

I would also like to know about the international lounges. I use the SilverKris Lounge everytime I depart Adelaide as I have status with Star Alliance. Where is it in respect to the new expanded International Lounge? Is it a common user lounge? Will that make things confusing and overcrowded? I'll find out in October when I'm off again unless someone else can give me an answer earlier.

One good thing about the new International Lounge will be it will have windows and natural light.

Cheers

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2126 Post by rev » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:20 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:58 pm
It's a better architectural result than the Parkroyal at Tullamarine in Melbourne.

The Park Royal at Tulla was built two decades ago. And it actually is built on top of a car park.

Algernon

#2127 Post by Algernon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
Maybe not required unfortunately. The A380 is an amazing aircraft. As a passenger I just love them to bits. But it appears they're a dead duck with no new orders for the last 1-2 years, or at least not enough to sustain production.

Ho Really

#2128 Post by Ho Really » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Algernon wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:27 pm
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
Maybe not required unfortunately. The A380 is an amazing aircraft. As a passenger I just love them to bits. But it appears they're a dead duck with no new orders for the last 1-2 years, or at least not enough to sustain production.
Yes orders have dried up. Emirates have said they'll consider an A380 for Adelaide, but even if they don't I think there should still be one dedicated gate just in case.

I too love the A380, but only if I can get seats on the upper deck at the rear. I fly exclusively on SQ and depending on the configuration that is the best spot in Economy. Otherwise sitting anywhere else on an A380 (except in the higher classes) is not much different than any other widebody aircraft. Though it can be quieter and does handle turbulence better because of its size.

Cheers

Ho Really

#2129 Post by Ho Really » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 pm

What are the chances Indian airlines will fly to Adelaide now that a new bilateral air services deal granting unlimited access to the state capitals has been signed?

Cheers

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2130 Post by AG » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 pm

They are barely 10 years in service, but several A380 planes are already up for scrapping. Singapore Airlines recently got rid of a couple, and other airlines may follow suit. The airlines are more in favour of the smaller and more energy efficient 787 Dreamliners and A350s. It will be interesting to see if this continues, particularly as more of the major Asian hubs hit their operational capacities.