News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: Doesnt surprise me

#31 Post by Edgar » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:53 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:... one of the best in the world........
mate, dont put this site to shame :? you haven't seen a better one yet, just because it is new and is using a later technology does not mean it has to be one of the best. The best airport has top class retails shops, top class lounge area, top class restaurants and food court, do we have those?> :D

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Ho Really » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:16 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:
mate, dont put this site to shame :? you haven't seen a better one yet, just because it is new and is using a later technology does not mean it has to be one of the best. The best airport has top class retails shops, top class lounge area, top class restaurants and food court, do we have those?> :D
What Adelaide got is a new combined domestic and international terminal with better technology, not a new airport. In my opinion it has deficiencies. Especially in two areas: public transport and car parking. It would have been great if it were serviced by a high-speed train to a CBD central train/bus station and a multi-level undercover car park. There are also passenger issues. Some travellers and commuters have to endure long walking distances. The terminal also lacks a true central meeting area with all the amenities. If it could only have been built further south in a shape of a horse shoe, it would have been more compact and the distances between domestic and international terminals shortened. Of course it could have been better, but we would have had to spend more money. I guess we have to be happy with what we've got. It's definitely a huge improvement. Well done Adelaide.

Cheers

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by AtD » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:24 pm

In the half dozen times I've had to use the airport, I've had no problems at all with parking and have got a spot closer to the door than I would get at TTP. That's the ST parking anyway. PT there is rather good with the JetBus.

And as for walking, well, that's to be expected at any airport, really.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Edgar » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Ho Really wrote:
edgar_raphael wrote:
What Adelaide got is a new combined domestic and international terminal with better technology, not a new airport. In my opinion it has deficiencies. Especially in two areas: public transport and car parking. It would have been great if it were serviced by a high-speed train to a CBD central train/bus station and a multi-level undercover car park. There are also passenger issues. Some travellers and commuters have to endure long walking distances. The terminal also lacks a true central meeting area with all the amenities. If it could only have been built further south in a shape of a horse shoe, it would have been more compact and the distances between domestic and international terminals shortened. Of course it could have been better, but we would have had to spend more money. I guess we have to be happy with what we've got. It's definitely a huge improvement. Well done Adelaide.

Cheers
omg, if you are already complaining in such a rather 'small' scaled airport, :shock: imagine how it would be for you in the larger airports :lol:

The current carpark is efficient enough for that scale of our airport, I have no complains with that except for you know, the parking fees which are ridiculous, disadvantaged if you are picking someone from international flight, as you know our super extremely strict customs check outs that takes another extra hour before you finally walked off the arrival exit after you landed :cry:

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#35 Post by Maximus_Marc » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:01 pm

Passenger numbers hit 5.8 million in the first financial year (05-06) since the new terminal opened, that’s a growth of roughly 7.5% on the 04-05 financial year which numbers stood at 5.4 million.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:27 am

It's been a while i know, but i thought i'd put it up on the front page for visitors to read this.

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#37 Post by littledyl16 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:55 pm

its great to hear that it is a success. Its also great that it is Australias best airport now, according to Wikipedia (dont know wether accurate tho), especially after all the problems we had with it after it was completed. i thought it would never open with the contaminated fuel supply.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Will » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:14 pm

I am very happy with our new airport, however I am terribly dissapointed by the amount of negative comments that are published in the letters to the editor of the Advertiser regarding the new airport. I sometimes wonder whether these negative people would make the same criticisms if the airport was in another state?

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Al » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm

Looks like Royal Brunei may fly into Adelaide in the future. (From travelweekly.com.au)

2 February 2007
Royal Brunei eyes Melbourne, Adelaide

Royal Brunei Airlines is keen to expand operations to Adelaide as well as Melbourne to complete a clean sweep of major Australian gateways.

The carrier already operates from Sydney, Perth, Darwin and Brisbane.

Discussions are believed to have taking place with the airports although details of frequencies and schedules are some way off.

National sales manager Paul Lim confirmed the carrier was keen to expand operations but was unable to set a timeframe.

“Melbourne and Adelaide are the missing links,â€

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Al wrote:Royal Brunei eyes Melbourne, Adelaide...
Royal Brunei have limited destinations compared to MAS, SIA and CPA. Wonder how they'll compete? An interesting addition to Adelaide just the same.

Cheers

bva
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by bva » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 pm

maybe something to do with better tourism numbers?? found this article in yesterday's advertiser

SOUTH Australia has easily exceeded the national growth in international tourism which for the first time is bringing in half a billion dollars a year to the state.

Latest figures from Tourism Research Australia (the 12 months ended September 30) also show the 350,700 international arrivals in the 12 months in SA was 8 per cent above the previous corresponding period.
More international flights direct into Adelaide are helping. Singapore Airlines which now flies here every day says its passenger mix now has a majority of overseas visitors.

Visitor nights in SA grew a considerable 38 per cent to 7.5 million in the 12 months to September 30.

Australian arrivals for 2006 were up only 1 per cent, but still a record 5.5 million international visitors.

The UN World Tourism Organisation this week reported a 4.5 per cent growth in international tourism to 842 million trips in 2006, "exceeding expectations".

It seems wars, terrorism, high fuel prices and bird flu are not stopping growth in the desire to travel.

Tourism infrastructure expansion - especially hotel building in Asia, notably China and India - is flat out.

"Asia and the Pacific, up 7.6 per cent, were able to maintain an extraordinary growth level," says the UNWTO travel report.

State Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith believes a concentration on events in SA is paying off, the summer figures to be helped by the Ashes cricket Test and the Tour Down Under bike race.

Nationally, there is little panic about an increase of only 1 per cent in international visitor numbers - because they are staying longer and spending more.

It has now reached $18.9 billion a year nationally making tourism a key money earner. International visitors on average spend $2665 each while in Australia. The UNWTO forecasts 2007 global growth of 4 per cent.

"Oil prices have shown a tendency to remain less volatile and do not pose the risk to economic stability they did a year ago," it said.

Travel and tourism are among the biggest businesses in the world.

A challenge in SA is to get international tourism to spread through the regions, with consequent economic benefit. The Eyre Peninsula is one region that is reporting more overseas visitors this summer.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Adelaide base hope for Tiger Airways

#42 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:16 am

From Adelaide Now:

Adelaide base hope for Tiger Airways

GREG KELTON, STATE POLITICAL REPORTER

February 15, 2007 01:15am

ADELAIDE Airport authorities will meet budget airline Tiger Airways about flights into Adelaide and the possibility of setting up its base here.

The low-cost airline, which already operates between Asia and Darwin, wants to extend its reach in Australia.

The Singapore-based airline has already caused a stir by suggesting it could sell some seats for as low as $10 plus fees and taxes.

Tiger has set up a poll on its website, asking Australians where they want it to fly, including smaller destinations.

Adelaide Airport management are speaking to the State Government about a joint approach to attract Tiger.

Managing director Phil Baker said the airport was very keen on getting another carrier into Adelaide for flights and possibly as a base.

A State Government spokeswoman said it was yet to be approached by Tiger about setting up a base here. Tiger has said it could create up to 1000 new direct and indirect jobs once it is established in Australia.

Opposition tourism spokesman Michael Pengilly said the Government should act swiftly to get Tiger to base its operations here. Melbourne Airport has had preliminary discussions with Tiger Airways chief executive Tony Davis.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Howie » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:39 am

Sounds great.. especially with Royal Brunei airlines looking to expand in Australia also.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#44 Post by Redback20 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:47 am

Vote for Adelaide here http://www.tigerairways.com/oz/ozwelcome.php

Altho there's only Oz destinations to vote for? Whereas I'd have rather voted for a low cost Adl-singapore route or Adl to another asian dest eg, bangkok, which it appears Perth has as well as darwin.

But still, good news that european style low fares could be coming to SA.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Howie » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:51 am

Is it time for vote-a-matic again ? :P