[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#16 Post by bmw boy » Wed May 16, 2007 9:11 pm

the advertiser is always complaining about our transport system.... and now something which will improve public transport... theyre criticising...
:?: :?:

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#17 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:24 am

Will the Oaklands interchange replace the current Marion bus interchange (Just outside the shopping center) in terms of buses, or will they use both?

If it is then I guess a lot of buses will need to be re-routed to Oaklands train station. Also it will be a greater walk to the shopping center.

Will409
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#18 Post by Will409 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:35 am

I have a 'on the ground' report from about 3 weeks ago. Probably changed a bit since I last went down that way on the train.

The new concrete sleepered track has been laid and is dead straight. The result is a very tight curve from the current Oaklands Station and hence a tight TSR. The concrete sleepered track has been extended beyond the southern end of the new station under the Diagonal Road level crossing as per current TransAdelaide practise (concrete sleepers under level crossings).

A large pile of ballast was also noted at the southern end of the work site and well as old track bits and pieces. A couple of trees were also being felled while I was there.

As I have already said, it has been nearly 1 month since I was last present so I will have a look in when I can.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#19 Post by Norman » Thu May 17, 2007 7:14 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:Will the Oaklands interchange replace the current Marion bus interchange (Just outside the shopping center) in terms of buses, or will they use both?

If it is then I guess a lot of buses will need to be re-routed to Oaklands train station. Also it will be a greater walk to the shopping center.
I suspect only buses travelling along Morphett Road and Diagonal Road will be redirected (241, 244, 248, 110, J7, etc.)

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#20 Post by shuza » Thu May 17, 2007 9:40 am

What about a 'connector' bus to service the new interchange and the Marion bus interchange? Saves the efforts of re-directing buses everywhere.

urban
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#21 Post by urban » Thu May 17, 2007 11:55 am

Having seen the plan for the interchange and the land available the possibilities seem immense.

A little dream.

The Govt sells the rights to develop a shopping centre incorporating a supermarket etc around and above the interchange. Perhaps bus interchange, shops etc at ground level, car parking at first floor level, offices, residential and community facilities above. The Govt might even make money out of it.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#22 Post by Norman » Thu May 17, 2007 1:00 pm

shuza wrote:What about a 'connector' bus to service the new interchange and the Marion bus interchange? Saves the efforts of re-directing buses everywhere.
It's not really redirecting, it's more adding another stop to their route, maybe 1 minute extra if they have a stop right next to the station.

An extra bus means a bus and a few drivers are wasted when they could do other routes.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#23 Post by Cruise » Thu May 17, 2007 3:59 pm

shuza wrote:What about a 'connector' bus to service the new interchange and the Marion bus interchange? Saves the efforts of re-directing buses everywhere.
just walk from oakland park train station, how lazy are some people?

urban
Legendary Member!

[COM]

#24 Post by urban » Thu May 17, 2007 4:13 pm

One thing I learnt from working in a petrol station for 5 years is never underestimate the laziness or stupidity of the general public.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#25 Post by shuza » Thu May 17, 2007 4:24 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
just walk from oakland park train station, how lazy are some people?
I for one, am perfectly happy with walking the distance. But I was taking more notice for the aged and disabled people.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#26 Post by crawf » Thu May 17, 2007 5:30 pm

Cruise_Control wrote:just walk from oakland park train station, how lazy are some people?
Its a fair walk to the actual shopping centre especially for the elderly. Though I catch the train instead and walk to Westfield Marion as I hate buses and love trains. Plus I reckon its quicker on the train, than a bus which usually gets held up in traffic congestion.

James Renfrey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#27 Post by James Renfrey » Fri May 18, 2007 2:33 pm

I have only recently given up the 20 minutes' walk to Westfield Marion from the North due to advancing age (approaching 80) and immobility.
Even so I still walk a great deal more than most of today's car owners.

Pedestrian access to the shopping centre is both indirect and tortuous, making it a nightmare to negotiate.
The car is king and any other user of the centre comes off a distant second best. Pedestrians even have to give
way to vehicles at some marked crossings.

Laziness is NOT the reason for the reluctance of many to traverse indirect, dark and dangerous streets
from the existing station. Only the unthinking and arrogant young would say so.

The proposed re-direction of Morphett Road buses via Prunus Street and Diagonal Road to the Oaklands station
stop and then all buses from the North via that road to Warracowie Way and Milham Street back to Morphett Road
will greatly alleviate road traffic congestion in the area.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

[COM]

#28 Post by Cruise » Sat May 19, 2007 12:25 pm

I for one, am perfectly happy with walking the distance. But I was taking more notice for the aged and disabled people.
James Renfrey wrote:I have only recently given up the 20 minutes' walk to Westfield Marion from the North due to advancing age (approaching 80) and immobility.
Even so I still walk a great deal more than most of today's car owners.

Pedestrian access to the shopping centre is both indirect and tortuous, making it a nightmare to negotiate.
The car is king and any other user of the centre comes off a distant second best. Pedestrians even have to give
way to vehicles at some marked crossings.

Laziness is NOT the reason for the reluctance of many to traverse indirect, dark and dangerous streets
from the existing station. Only the unthinking and arrogant young would say so.

The proposed re-direction of Morphett Road buses via Prunus Street and Diagonal Road to the Oaklands station
stop and then all buses from the North via that road to Warracowie Way and Milham Street back to Morphett Road
will greatly alleviate road traffic congestion in the area.
I never thought of any of that. Thing is i dont learn these until im told.
Food for thought. :)

James Renfrey
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#29 Post by James Renfrey » Sun May 20, 2007 12:28 am

Thanks for your message and interest in the developments at Oaklands station, Cruise Control, but it wasn't you
who made the original crack about laziness. Your comment was a perfectly valid one.

Regards,

James Renfrey.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#30 Post by Bulldozer » Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 pm

They really should have spent the extra cash to move the rail line so that it goes through the "Westfield triangle" and then put the interchange there. That triangle is supposed to become the hub of Marion.

Yes, it would have cost millions more to acquire the properties but we'll probably find in 10 or 20 years that it should have been done. Oaklands station is too far from the actual destination there for rail to be an attractive option for shoppers to get there - and I say that as a mid-20's adult who doesn't think it's that far at all - except for when it's raining, summer, dark or you're carrying some shopping home. It's a poorly-lit and dodgy-feeling walk to Westfield at night. When moving the line you could also take the opportunity to eliminate Warradale station too.