[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will409
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Oaklands Park Interchange

#46 Post by Will409 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:15 am

Those with a keen eye to the system will notice that the stations along each line have been painted in different colours along parts like external steel frames (maroon for the Gawler Central line, blue for the Noarlunga Centre/Tonsely lines and dark green for the Belair line) and so on. The name/lightboard at Mawson Lakes that runs along the roof is painted in traditional maroon for the Gawler Central line. if this practise is followed, then the name/lightboard at the new Oaklands Interchange would be blue for the Noarlunga line.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by AtD » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:04 am

Nice pics Will409. It already looks better than the old one. :D

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#48 Post by Shuz » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:23 am

Oooh that looks very nice. Is it common now for all new stations to have those glass cubes? What are they for?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by AtD » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Well at Mawson Lakes, the 'glass cubes' are actually toilets, an enclosed waiting room, and a kiosk.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:37 pm

Looking good so far, this will make Public Transport a lot more inviting for people. I'm glad it's going ahead.

Now, if only they could do the same for the rest of the stations... :lol:

Did I mention the walkways under Oaklands smell like Urine 24/7? :x

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by rhino » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:00 pm

AtD wrote:Well at Mawson Lakes, the 'glass cubes' are actually toilets, an enclosed waiting room, and a kiosk.
Hmmm ... a toilet in a glass cube .... interesting concept.
cheers,
Rhino

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#52 Post by Tom » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:46 pm

normangerman wrote:Did I mention the walkways under Oaklands smell like Urine 24/7? :x
I also think some people fail to see the differance :|
Garno!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by jk1237 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:11 am

Nice updates. At one stage I thought this project was gonna be mothballed. Does anyone know if DTEI are thinking of the future and will make the platforms 6-car length at Oaklands rather than what they did at Mawson Lakes and made the platform long enough for only 4 car train. Surely they will make it long enough for 6-cars like evry other station on that line.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#54 Post by Cruise » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:59 pm

rhino wrote:
AtD wrote:Well at Mawson Lakes, the 'glass cubes' are actually toilets, an enclosed waiting room, and a kiosk.
Hmmm ... a toilet in a glass cube .... interesting concept.
i think having a waiting room in the toilet is even more interesting....

Will409
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Will409 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:43 pm

Sorry for the slack posting but I have some more updated photos taken on Friday.

New platforms starting to take shape. I was rather suprised by the construction method used here. Back when Mawson Lakes was being built a couple of years ago, they simply packed the platform full of earth. Here it appears that they are going for concrete and rebar, something I wasn't planning on. Also, they are not planning of making the station capable of 4 tracks incase you were wondering by the use of platform facing panels on both sides. Instead, it appears that the earth is being built up so roughly 15-20cms below the top of the panel forming the new bus lane. However, being so early in the life of the project, I cannot be certain.

Grader stabled between duties. That pile does give you and indication of the amount of earth moved for this project already.

The platforms from the Diagonal Road end.

Stack of concrete sleepers which will be put in when the old station is removed and the track alignment rearranged.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Thanks for the update Will. Too bad there is already some graffiti on those congrete blocks :(

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by ReallyBad » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:18 pm

Will409 wrote:New platforms starting to take shape. I was rather suprised by the construction method used here. Back when Mawson Lakes was being built a couple of years ago, they simply packed the platform full of earth. Here it appears that they are going for concrete and rebar, something I wasn't planning on.
They still will be earth filled - the reo you are seeing is for cross members - sort of like a group of boxes joined together and then filled.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#58 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:51 pm

While the current Oaklands station is in appalling condition, I think this project is ill-conceived. The line should have continued to Marion Shopping Centre. This could have been achieved together with Westfield when Marion is extended in 2008.

Despite my gripes, all platforms on every line need upgrading to this standard.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by Will409 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:35 pm

The line from Goodwood Junction to Brighton was built in 1915, I think Marion Shopping Centre was the last thing on anyone's minds back then.

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#60 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:03 pm

Will409 wrote:The line from Goodwood Junction to Brighton was built in 1915, I think Marion Shopping Centre was the last thing on anyone's minds back then.
That actually wasn't what I was implying. The interchange should be at Marion, which is absolutely achievable given the land available.