[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: PRO: Oaklands Rail Underpass

#616 Post by how good is he » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 am

I still think it’s a wasted opportunity they couldn’t design it to be closer to the SA Aquatic Centre & Westfield. Also there is bigger potential for a park n ride. Add to that the centres future expansion it would be a no brainer to go that extra 500m-1km to make the stop/station there. Westfield could/should have been offered the opportunity to chip in $$$ to have it extended.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#617 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 am

how good is he wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 am
I still think it’s a wasted opportunity they couldn’t design it to be closer to the SA Aquatic Centre & Westfield. Also there is bigger potential for a park n ride. Add to that the centres future expansion it would be a no brainer to go that extra 500m-1km to make the stop/station there. Westfield could/should have been offered the opportunity to chip in $$$ to have it extended.
What they should have done, given that we often talk about the big picture here, is 20 years ago via a land swap or otherwise expanded westfield marion towards the train station instead of towards the beach.

:-(

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#618 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:04 am

I'm sure they do manage to wrap around the platform somehow. In haven't been to Berlin for a decade now so I'm not sure exactly how they managed to do it, but the gap is certainly an issue at curved stations like Belair.

Another curved station, Edwardstown, has speed restrictions for express trains because of the narrow gap at the pinch point between the train and the platform.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#619 Post by claybro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:04 am
I'm sure they do manage to wrap around the platform somehow. In haven't been to Berlin for a decade now so I'm not sure exactly how they managed to do it, but the gap is certainly an issue at curved stations like Belair.

Another curved station, Edwardstown, has speed restrictions for express trains because of the narrow gap at the pinch point between the train and the platform.
Agree Norman it is not ideal, but it is doable to place a platform on a curve-particularly as the main curve in this case occurs after the bridge. I guess the main point is, that given the large change and subsequent expense to this precinct, more of an effort could have been made to better integrate it to its surroundings, instead of just plonking the new station, pretty much where the old one was, which is useless as a connection to Westfield, the bus interchange, and also a massive waste of space in a prime location. The stations on Adelaide's train network rarely land commuters where they need to go as it is, and there seems to be not much effort to change that despite the multi millions being spent.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#620 Post by how good is he » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 pm

What they should have done, given that we often talk about the big picture here, is 20 years ago via a land swap or otherwise expanded westfield marion towards the train station instead of towards the beach.
Muzzamo, it would be nice but we cant change things that happened 20+ years ago but we can still change something which has yet to happen/be built.

claybro

#621 Post by claybro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm

how good is he wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 pm
Muzzamo, it would be nice but we cant change things that happened 20+ years ago but we can still change something which has yet to happen/be built.
It would still be possible to reclaim a small isolated group of relatively new homes along Diagonal WAY and with the station relocated further west, to create a high street style plaza with apartments above, to link the station to the Aquatic centre/civic centre and Westfield. The bus interchange could be moved to the northern side of Westfield from the current location to better interchange with the train.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#622 Post by RetroGamer87 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 am
Looks like the underpass is in a slightly different location to the current track.

This is a screenshot of what is there currently:

This is their new render with the track moving towards the left of the image and the new station eating into what is the current larger car park:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct me if I'm wrong, but many years ago Morphett Road went straight with with Diagonal Road branching off before the modified the level crossing some time in the middle of last century. Since the crossing will now be grade-separated, wouldn't it make more sense to return Morphett Road to a state when you can drive straight through rather than having it feed directly into Diagonal Road?

rhino

#623 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:02 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but many years ago Morphett Road went straight with with Diagonal Road branching off before the modified the level crossing some time in the middle of last century. Since the crossing will now be grade-separated, wouldn't it make more sense to return Morphett Road to a state when you can drive straight through rather than having it feed directly into Diagonal Road?
A quick look at Google Earth (satellite view) will show you that Diagonal Road is a lot wider than Morphett Road - I would assume from this that it carries the bulk of the traffic that goes through that intersection. Remember that prior to the 1950s Adelaide Airport did not exist, and neither did the Marion Road bridge over the Sturt River. Morphett Road was a much more important thoroughfare back then, as Marion Road users had to use Finniss St (where the bridge was), Township Road, and Norfolk Rd to get through, but since then Morphett Road's importance has diminished somewhat.
cheers,
Rhino

Llessur2002

#624 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am

I don't think these have been posted before - from Stephen Mullighan's Facebook:

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#625 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:50 pm

are they going to be able to keep the railway line open during the rebuild, or it will it be months and months of bustitutes again
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#626 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:are they going to be able to keep the railway line open during the rebuild, or it will it be months and months of bustitutes again
That will be part of the detailed design work of the construction process. You can ask the team at the open day if they have a final decision on that.

Either way, they will definitely be some closure at some point of the construction.

[Shuz]

#627 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:49 am

I think they're going to reroute the rail line to one side during construction so the line will remain open for the majority of construction works but of course there will be some weekend and night closures.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#628 Post by Benm16 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am

I sort of feel like this is a waste of money and time. I use the seafood line everyday and I would hate to have to go back to buses just to improve the car traffic on the roads. With the enirvoment issues we are facing these days, we shouldn’t be spending so much money on making car travel better but focus on better public transport as that is way of a greener future. Spend the money on improving our tram network or electric trains to Gawler, don’t improve an intersection that won’t do anything for the trains but make car travel more appealing, that’s the last thing we need.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#629 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:56 am

Benm16 wrote:I sort of feel like this is a waste of money and time. I use the seafood line everyday and I would hate to have to go back to buses just to improve the car traffic on the roads. With the enirvoment issues we are facing these days, we shouldn’t be spending so much money on making car travel better but focus on better public transport as that is way of a greener future. Spend the money on improving our tram network or electric trains to Gawler, don’t improve an intersection that won’t do anything for the trains but make car travel more appealing, that’s the last thing we need.
What you say makes sense from an environmental and city mobility point of view, but fails the political test. Far more voters drive than catch public transport. Easy to see the motivation behind it now eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#630 Post by Mr Smith » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 am

Benm16 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am
I sort of feel like this is a waste of money and time. I use the seafood line everyday and I would hate to have to go back to buses just to improve the car traffic on the roads. With the enirvoment issues we are facing these days, we shouldn’t be spending so much money on making car travel better but focus on better public transport as that is way of a greener future. Spend the money on improving our tram network or electric trains to Gawler, don’t improve an intersection that won’t do anything for the trains but make car travel more appealing, that’s the last thing we need.
Benm16's frustration as a rail user is understandable, however these issues are always seen thru the personal perspective of the user.

People who work in the CBD and can catch trains invariably want the focus to be on the rail network at the expense of the road network, however the simple reality is that the Adelaide rail network is fairly pathetic and for many people rail travel is simply not an option because they are not travelling to/from the CBD.

Ergo our 3rd rate road network needs significant upgrading to remove at level crossings which are rampant.