News & Discussion: Road Rules

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Re: SA rural roads reduced to 100kph

#61 Post by Hooligan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm

I have a conspiracy theory. I wonder if roads that are marked a 100kph require less maintenance than roads marked 110kph.

Just thinking about the dollars.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by Aidan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Wayno wrote:It makes no sense to set speed limits based on individual driver confidence levels. That's just asking for trouble. 130km/h is crazy. Stopping distance increases exponentially, not linearly, as speed increases.
Parabolically, not exponentially!
Factors working in the other direction (allowing higher speed) would include divided highways, crash/wire barriers to stop cars veering onto oncoming traffic, etc.
I think the rural speed limit should be raised to 120km/h on those roads. And I've had that opinion since there was only one of them!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by AtD » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:30 am

NSW does a few things I wish SA would adopt, because preventing speeding is better than punishing speeding. First, painting the speed limit on the road. Second, the massive speed camera signs that leave you in no doubt what speed you should be doing.

One thing I notice when coming back to SA is I never have any idea what the speed limit is. In NSW you're never in any doubt.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#64 Post by HeapsGood » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm also surprised that SA hasnt adopted the approach of NSW by marking roads and streets with the applicable speed limits painted onto the road.

I remember the SA State Government reviewed the decision a couple of years back and were against it, because of motorcycle driver concerns or something. In all, it was a cheap copout because the State Government loves to add to driver confusion about speed zones and catch people in radars = $$$.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by monotonehell » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Main North road (around Elizabeth) used to have speed markings painted on the road's surface.

But it was a long time ago, as a kid I remember the faded markings - all in miles per hour. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#66 Post by rev » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 pm

This whole idea of lowering speed limits is one the stupidest ideas ever.
It really is simply about revenue raising.

That car that lost control a month or two ago on Torrens road, burst into flames and killed one of the five occupants?
The driver was speeding and inattentive on a stretch of road that is badly in need of resurfacing.

While it was ultimately the speed of the vehicle which caused the accident to be so horrific, it's not the sole factor nor is it the defining reason.

Better driver education.
Better roads.

These two things will save lives.

Reducing speed limits, putting up fines, and introducing more cameras will NOT save lives. All that will do is raise more money for the government.

Instead of letting 16 year old kids get their P plates 6 months into driving, and then qualify for their P2's a year afer that, why not put them through proper driver education courses until they turn 19-20?
The first six months they are not allowed to drive on public roads, but can drive only at driver education centers were they learn the basics of handling a car in various situations.
The next twelve months they are on their L plates as well as attending more driver education.
Then the next twelve months they are on P1, with continued driver education courses followed by a driving test to qualify to P2. P2 for a year till they are 19 and a half and then full license.

This is obviously going to cost people a lot of money. Incentive to not do stupid things and lose your license because you'll have to fork that cash out again.
But the most important thing is that it will actually educate young people on how to actually drive properly.
There should not be any theory tests. It should all be practical assessments.
Any moron can memorize some laws.
But not any moron can actually handle a car in various conditions. We see this every day on our roads. The amount of morons on the roads is far too great.
These driver courses should not be easy. They should be as difficult as possible to ensure that only those mentally capable of controlling a vehicle end up being licensed to drive.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've actually seen car accidents were people have died because of some morons inability to drive.

Driving isn't simply being able to select the right gear, find the break and accelerator, look in your mirrors, indicate for the correct amount of time, which is the stupid shit you get tested on during driving tests now.

But with better drivers, the government wont make as much money from fines, court fees, administration fees, reissuing licenses etc etc etc.

Pressman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#67 Post by Pressman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:07 pm

AtD wrote:NSW does a few things I wish SA would adopt, because preventing speeding is better than punishing speeding. First, painting the speed limit on the road. Second, the massive speed camera signs that leave you in no doubt what speed you should be doing.

One thing I notice when coming back to SA is I never have any idea what the speed limit is. In NSW you're never in any doubt.

I always laughed at the fixed speed cameras in NSW, you'd have to be absolutely stupid to get caught!
One location I remember well was on the Hume Hwy between Gundagai and Albury in a 100kph limit area there were NO LESS than seven (Yes 7) extra large warning signs before you reached the camera, yet the camera was the one of the highest money earners in the state!! :roll:
(This camera is now gone as the Hume is finally Dual Carriageway 110kph limit for it's entire length - except for through the town Holbrook, but a bypass is currently under construction)

One thing that you don't hear publisised in NSW is the "Western Region" speed limit which is 110kph (points west of Dubbo & Narrandera)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#68 Post by rev » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Meanwhile Bulgaria is raising their speed limits to 140kph.

Amused
Gold-Member ;)

#69 Post by Amused » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:34 pm

As an emergency worker, there was not a single motor vehicle accident I went to where speed was the deciding factor. It was usually alcohol, inattention, fatigue, hooning (deliberate loss of traction more than the speed component) or sudden braking. Less commonly was road conditions, ie, animals, poorly maintained roads, etc.

I have seen first hand the carnage that motor vehicles can do but one will have great difficulty in convincing me that lowering speed limits, or increasing fines or increasing cameras will save lives. Nothing makes me laugh more than the 'stop creeping' signs. To focus on the very few people who were unlucky enough or in some cases stupid enough to wrap their car around another object, we conveniently forget the thousands of motorists who safely navigate all segments of our road networks daily without consequence. Whether we 'accept' it or not, it does not change the fact that with millions of people operating motor vehicles on our roads regularly, and considering that some of them appear to have a lower iq than they do years of driving experience, then it is expected that there will be the odd collision. That is a fact of nature, science and the law of large numbers.

Two things will always remain true however:
-The only way to abolish road fatalities is to abolish roads and all that currently traverse them, and
-The state government will continue to do everything in its power to reap cash from the tax payers in what ever form and under whatever guise.

james07
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Common sense on the roads of Adelaide

#70 Post by james07 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:21 pm

I just had the pleasure (not) of being tailgatted for about 30 kms in each direction from Tea Tree Gully to Birdwood. I don't experience the tailgatting in the metro area or on major highways - only on windy single lane roads. Sure I was taking it easy, it is Easter Sunday, but does it really matter whether we get to our destination a little earlier or later. It was nice to cruise along and enjoy the scenery. The tailgatting behaviour is common in this State - it is all about them - a lack of consideration for other motorists. Typical of an economic backwater.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by Will » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:24 pm

james07 wrote:I just had the pleasure (not) of being tailgatted for about 30 kms in each direction from Tea Tree Gully to Birdwood. I don't experience the tailgatting in the metro area or on major highways - only on windy single lane roads. Sure I was taking it easy, it is Easter Sunday, but does it really matter whether we get to our destination a little earlier or later. It was nice to cruise along and enjoy the scenery. The tailgatting behaviour is common in this State - it is all about them - a lack of consideration for other motorists. Typical of an economic backwater.
There are d#ckheads in every state.

Only a backwater individual will attest the behaviour of one person to that of an entire state.

Happy easter!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by AG » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Will wrote:
james07 wrote:I just had the pleasure (not) of being tailgatted for about 30 kms in each direction from Tea Tree Gully to Birdwood. I don't experience the tailgatting in the metro area or on major highways - only on windy single lane roads. Sure I was taking it easy, it is Easter Sunday, but does it really matter whether we get to our destination a little earlier or later. It was nice to cruise along and enjoy the scenery. The tailgatting behaviour is common in this State - it is all about them - a lack of consideration for other motorists. Typical of an economic backwater.
There are dickheads in every state.

Only a backwater individual will attest the behaviour of one person to that of an entire state.

Happy easter!
I currently live in Gladstone in Queensland and there are hoons and tailgaters everywhere. Gladstone definitely isn't an economic backwater...

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by Hooligan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:11 pm

In the hills though if you are just enjoying the scenery you should use the courtesy lanes and allow others to pass you

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#74 Post by ac83 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm

What the hell has tailgating got to do with an economic backwater? What an uneducated comment

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by mooshie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Sure you were enjoying the scenery so why not pull over and let the other car past? Then to equate your experience with the economics of an entire state is simply ridiculous!

Stopped to think what the other person might be thinking about your actions?