PRO: CBD Tram Loop

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: PRO: CBD Tram Loop

#76 Post by rubberman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:04 pm

'Shovel ready' means that the surveys, geotechnical work, detailed designs and drawings and tender documents have been drawn up. We would also know the number and types of trams required, as well as detailed design drawings of where they are to be accommodated.

Do these really exist? If so, I would be interested in a link to wherever they are just out of interest to see the exact alignments.

As for the council bit. It is not really anything to do with them, other than as stakeholders. Fair enough of course, but the days of a Municipal Tramways Trust are well over methinks. (Not trying to downplay the importance of council agreement or involvement as stakeholders, but way way early on a timescale for progressing actual work).

But as an example of what I mean by planning. If there was an overall plan, then we would, for example have a depot design showing how that depot would be expanded to accommodate the number of trams required for each system extension. Does such a depot plan exist? Again, if so, I would be most interested to see it. As, I suspect, would all of us interested in trams and transport. A link to and discussion of such a depot would be of great interest to those of us on the Sensational Adelaide forums, if such depot planning existed, of course....and it would be if the projects are 'shovel ready'. Extend this concept to routes, vehicle types, pole, feeder and converter station locations, and I could see a lot of public interest. Lead us to it!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#77 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:15 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Wrong.

The City Loop, Port Adelaide, Semaphore, West Lakes and Grange tram lines are all pretty much shovel-ready, bar the fine details like station design and vegetation choices. They just need the funding.

Prospect and Norwood tram lines are very much being discussed and planned for by their respective local councils. But local councils don't have the money and resources to go it alone and will wait on State Government support and funding.
I think you'll find that the Coast to Coast light rail proposal is still pretty hamstrung by the need to find a suitable tram-train and the expertise to operate it. Moreover, as much as local government can (and probably should) try to accommodate any potential tram line in their main street planning (eg, utilities location, streetscaping), not only do they not have the resources to go it alone, neither do they have the authority. The councils of Prospect and NPSP, as well as Port Adelaide Enfield, are left simply to lobbying at this point.

I suppose what rubberman was hinting at is the absence of a Strategic Transport Plan, something which the government was initially supposed to deliver on as part of their State Strategic Plan almost a decade ago. We have a Strategic Infrastructure Plan now, but that doesn't get down to the nitty-gritty of urban transport. It would be great if we could have a masterplan with all the future transport projects we need itemised by priority, but it seems there's some cynical political impediment to such straight-forwardness.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#78 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm

I cant really say anymore than I already have, rubberman. There are plans and drawings but they are not publicly available. Once funding has been committed to the project and an official announcement made by the State Government, then I assume the plans and detailed drawings will be made available thhereafter.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Henry
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#79 Post by Henry » Tue May 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Hey guys,

I am a big fan of the trams! Thought you all might be interested in seeing this:

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/document/show/67

and this too:

http://pictureadelaide.com.au/

:banana:

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by Shahkar » Tue May 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Henry wrote:Hey guys,

I am a big fan of the trams! Thought you all might be interested in seeing this:

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/document/show/67

and this too:

http://pictureadelaide.com.au/

:banana:
That is from October 2011. The latest map released by the ACC was in "The City of Adelaide Integrated Movement Strategy 2012-22." The preferred routes for PT for the ACC are shown in this map.