News & Discussion: Regional Transport

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Bob
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Regional Transport

#586 Post by Bob » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:18 pm

SA rail lobby group push for return of a Barossa commuter tourist train

https://www.barossaherald.com.au/story/ ... st-return/

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#587 Post by SBD » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 am

Bob wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Hmm: "...rail freight company Genesee Wyoming Australia (GWA) indicated they would be prepared to surrender their lengthy lease to 2047, should a suitable 'alternative' use for the line be identified." I'm sure they'd be happy to give it back if it is going to be rendered inoperable by those two road projects anyway. The Altona Bridge upgrade is necessary to permit B-double operation. ( https://pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... _-_web.pdf )

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#588 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:09 am

Yes, did I read correctly or has the EOI basically been set up to determine there’s no use for the line and provide cover for the Government to not incorporate it into two road upgrades? I hope there’s a high level of outrage if so.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ho Really

#589 Post by Ho Really » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:37 pm

Bob wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:18 pm

They should also make the point that during the cruise ship season (October to April) trains with tourists can go from Outer Harbor to the Barossa through Rosewater. Important they reinstate that section of rail line.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SBD

#590 Post by SBD » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:25 pm

SRW wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:09 am
Yes, did I read correctly or has the EOI basically been set up to determine there’s no use for the line and provide cover for the Government to not incorporate it into two road upgrades? I hope there’s a high level of outrage if so.
I wonder if the timelines match up for someone to propose to operate the Gawler rail service as part of rail privatisation, and extend the service to Lyndoch or Nuriootpa. That would potentially make a difference on something other than cost and service cuts.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#591 Post by SRW » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:25 am

Not my normal viewing, but the regional rail people managed to get a piece up on Today Tonight about the impending dismantlement of the Barossa railway:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=522246301666452
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#592 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Hopefully the corridor is retained at least, and not flogged off for crappy housing or the latest OTR.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#593 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:34 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:25 am
Not my normal viewing, but the regional rail people managed to get a piece up on Today Tonight about the impending dismantlement of the Barossa railway:
The locals say they want the railway, but will they actually use it? The population in the Barossa is low and virtually everyone drives everywhere. The only way to open the railway again is if the mine at Angaston opens again. By the time that happens, the tracks would be relaid as standard gauge anyway.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#594 Post by Eurostar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 am

If the train ran from Adelaide it'll need to be squeezed in with suburban trains, on weekdays during the day there is minimum 4 trains per hour. In peak there is already a tight window for trains between Gawler and Gawler Central. I think cost wise it'll be cheaper to run a bus from Gawler Station to the Barossa Towns.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#595 Post by rogue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:57 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:34 pm
SRW wrote:
The locals say they want the railway, but will they actually use it? The population in the Barossa is low and virtually everyone drives everywhere. The only way to open the railway again is if the mine at Angaston opens again. By the time that happens, the tracks would be relaid as standard gauge anyway.
The mine / quarry at Angaston never closed.

SBD

#596 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:34 pm

rogue wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:57 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:34 pm
SRW wrote:
The mine / quarry at Angaston never closed.
The mine at Penrice (near Angaston) was owned by Penrice Soda Products. Its main customer was the Penrice Soda factory at Osborne, so ore was transported by train operated by GWR. Penrice Soda went bust, and sold the mine to its next largest customer, Adelaide Brighton Cement. Adelaide Brighton use trucks to transport the ore to the factory off Stockwell Road at Angaston. GWR now has no reason to keep the line open so has offered to give up the lease that requires it to maintain the tracks for no cost.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#597 Post by Spotto » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am

SBD wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:34 pm
The mine at Penrice (near Angaston) was owned by Penrice Soda Products. Its main customer was the Penrice Soda factory at Osborne, so ore was transported by train operated by GWR. Penrice Soda went bust, and sold the mine to its next largest customer, Adelaide Brighton Cement. Adelaide Brighton use trucks to transport the ore to the factory off Stockwell Road at Angaston. GWR now has no reason to keep the line open so has offered to give up the lease that requires it to maintain the tracks for no cost.
If we were thinking ahead we could try and include the line to Kapunda in the lease cancellation, or even all of their mid-north broad gauge posessions which aren't being used. The others won't find any realistic rail use, but Gawler to Roseworthy could be rebuilt in tandem the proposed Roseworthy Township Expansion which is estimating 12k people over the next 20 years; the first development of St Yves is projecting 800 homes and 2k people plus a new school.

Victoria is a very different state to ours, but they've shown that if you invest in regional rail, it will be used. Especially if you develop stations alongside new housing projects. We absolutely won't be able to rebuild to the extent that we used to have because the population just isn't there, but a select few corridors have rail potential.

SBD

#598 Post by SBD » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 am

Spotto wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 am
SBD wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:34 pm
If we were thinking ahead we could try and include the line to Kapunda in the lease cancellation, or even all of their mid-north broad gauge posessions which aren't being used. The others won't find any realistic rail use, but Gawler to Roseworthy could be rebuilt in tandem the proposed Roseworthy Township Expansion which is estimating 12k people over the next 20 years; the first development of St Yves is projecting 800 homes and 2k people plus a new school.

Victoria is a very different state to ours, but they've shown that if you invest in regional rail, it will be used. Especially if you develop stations alongside new housing projects. We absolutely won't be able to rebuild to the extent that we used to have because the population just isn't there, but a select few corridors have rail potential.
Which other routes does GWR still control? I noticed that the level crossing on the Horrocks Highway just north of Roseworthy is now signed as "crossing not in use". I assume that means they are no longer required to make/keep it usable.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#599 Post by Alyx » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:20 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 am
Which other routes does GWR still control? I noticed that the level crossing on the Horrocks Highway just north of Roseworthy is now signed as "crossing not in use". I assume that means they are no longer required to make/keep it usable.

If I am not mistaken, Genesee & Wyoming Australia (or whatever they will be known as in the near future) control all remaining broad gauge lines north of Gawler (to Balaklava, Burra, and Kapunda); the now-dormant Murray Mallee branch lines (to Apamurra, Loxton, and Pinnaroo); the partly-closed Eyre Peninsula narrow gauge network; and the Whyalla narrow gauge network.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#600 Post by Spotto » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Alyx wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:20 pm
SBD wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 am

If I am not mistaken, Genesee & Wyoming Australia (or whatever they will be known as in the near future) control all remaining broad gauge lines north of Gawler (to Balaklava, Burra, and Kapunda); the now-dormant Murray Mallee branch lines (to Apamurra, Loxton, and Pinnaroo); the partly-closed Eyre Peninsula narrow gauge network; and the Whyalla narrow gauge network.
Adding on to that, it seems the narrow gauge Whyalla Iron Ore lines are owned by SIMEC Mining (previously Arrium Limited) and GWA is simply contracted to run the trains.