News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#556 Post by Nathan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Vjkdigital wrote:I'm all for preserving the Old H cars, but why are they bothering to track test trams they have no intention of placing into service?!
Did you read the article? 351 is going back into service, with two runs each Sunday during August as a trial, and see how goes from there.

Vjkdigital
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#557 Post by Vjkdigital » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Ahh, completely missed it, and can't even find it now that I went hunting for it. :-(

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#558 Post by BillD » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Here are some shots from the first tourist run. Friends on-board said that many people couldn't get on the first rum.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#559 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 pm

I think it's fantastic that some of the H-Class trams are being restored and are back running again. One thing is bugging me though..

Why did they paint the front window frames brown?? They should have left them the yellowy colour they were before so that they match the window frames on the side. Or is there a reason for the colour scheme they've chosen?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Will409
Legendary Member!

#560 Post by Will409 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:33 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:Why did they paint the front window frames brown?? They should have left them the yellowy colour they were before so that they match the window frames on the side. Or is there a reason for the colour scheme they've chosen?
H 351 has been repainted in to a representation of its original 1929 livery which didn't have the windshield frames painted cream. H 360 at St Kilda has been restored in this manner as well. The cream windshield frames didn't happen until the 1930s/1940s. The standee windows above the main windows are treated in the same manner.

Xaragmata

#561 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:31 pm

351 at Thebarton:

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#562 Post by BillD » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Here's a shot of H-Type 367 heading off to the workshops.
Unfortunately I couldn't wait for the departure but in the shot, the trailer was about to reverse into position.

Waewick

#563 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 pm

http://indaily.com.au/news/2013/09/24/p ... inal-stop/
Adelaide | The long-touted Port Adelaide tram extension looks like a dead proposition with the Transport Department approving a plan to build a café at the end of the Entertainment Centre tram stop.

A $520 million plan to extend the tram down to Semaphore and West Lakes was put on the agenda by Premier Mike Rann in 2010 – but it was later scrapped in the 2012 Budget.

On Thursday state public transport head Bill Fragoulis hinted the café proposal signified the extension might never be put on the agenda again.

“We’ve just given approval to build a cafe right at the end of the Entertainment Centre, so I don’t know what that means in terms of continuing that tram line,” said Fragoulis, the executive director of Public Transport Services at the Department of Planning, Transport, and Infrastructure.

Asked at a public transport forum whether the department had any plans to extend the tram line, Fragoulis said he personally would like to see the service extended but the café probably meant that wouldn’t happen.

“With the tram network, that’s why I was really careful in saying we’ve just given approval at the Entertainment Centre to build a cafe right at the end.

“I don’t know what that says. I’d like more extensions to the tram network, and we’re still evaluating whether tram is the way to go all the way out to Outer Harbour, to Port Adelaide.

“I’ve heard tram to North Adelaide, I’ve heard tram up to Norwood Parade, but at the moment nothing concrete has come of it.”

Port Adelaide Mayor Gary Johanson described the café decision as woefully short-sighted.

“Anyone that would consider putting a cafeteria against the end of a tram track, to me that would be just ridiculous,” he said.

“That’s so short-sighted it doesn’t even hardly rate a comment.

“They’ve gone completely quiet on the whole thing. Mike Rann had such a passion to create this for the Port. I can remember the launch of it down at Semaphore.

“With them (Rann’s administration) out of the equation effectively, there just appears to be no interest at all in it.”

Entertainment Centre management told InDaily they were unaware of the café proposal and they not involved in the plans.

The Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure did not respond to questions from InDaily before deadline.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#564 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:02 pm

A cafe can easily be demolished in the future......

Waewick

#565 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:38 pm

that is what I thought to.

still I'd prefer one up the parade first (only because I'm moving to the Eastern Suburbs and have 2 crappy bus routes to chose from.)

[Shuz]

#566 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:34 pm

I am kind of surprised to hear of this development, because I am aware that there had been quite extensive planning already done into extending the tram line to Port Adelaide / Semaphore. It was essentially shovel-ready - just needed the funding.

However, it's kind of a blessing in disguise as by allowing the development of this café (I'm surprised one has even been approved in middle of the Port Road median) it's a clear signal that the next tram extension will be the CBD Loop or go someplace else like Norwood, North Adelaide, etc. Most likely CBD Loop first (of which detailed planning has already been done also) and then North Adelaide - which concept drawings have been drafted but to my knowledge, detailed investigation has not gone any further.

Going forward, DPTI are focusing on two key areas of project delivery - basically the two biggest infrastructure priorities in Adelaide - the North-South Motorway, and the continuation of the Rail Revitalization program - underground CBD tunnel, station upgrades, etc.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#567 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Waewick wrote:that is what I thought to.

still I'd prefer one up the parade first (only because I'm moving to the Eastern Suburbs and have 2 crappy bus routes to chose from.)
Don't be silly, Waewick. There's plenty of cafe`s up the Parade. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Patrick_27

#568 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Why not do all proposed tram extensions together? Make a large one-off investment...

I can see why they have stalled with the tram to the Port, it's almost expected that if you're to build a tram-line down the middle of Port road, that upgrades must be done to the road as a whole which would easily cost another couple of hundred million. I hope it does happen, I hope with on-going interest for investment at the Port that the government fork out the money. Semaphore and Port Adelaide deserve better connection to the CBD.

Waewick

#569 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:06 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:that is what I thought to.

Don't be silly, Waewick. There's plenty of cafe`s up the Parade. ;)
:applause:

claybro

#570 Post by claybro » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:14 pm

It would seem the tram extension to the Port/Semaphore/west Lakes is dead in the water. Without any plans for this extension, it does now seem a waste that it was extended to hindmarsh at all. Given there is a train station just across the road at Bowden, access to the Ent Cent by PT was hardly an issue, so this now appears to be a complete white elephant. A shame really, because the NW suburbs really lend themselves to a light rail network using the existing outer harbour corridor. The potential of this line has never been realised, even given the CWT is baulking at more density along Port road etc. I would say any further tram extensions will be at least 10 years off now as it appears the current government has been spooked by the anti tram brigade.. (or longer if the Libs win the next state election).