News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1966 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm

rubberman wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:55 pm
For those that missed it, this was on reddit. Posted there by u/SwissArmyBumpkin

https://i.redd.it/msdknnww4wxz.jpg
oops.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1967 Post by AG » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:08 pm

timtam20292 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 pm
Its been reported in the news tonight that cracks have already occurred in the concrete that is part of the extension. The state government says its nothing to worry about. What does everyone think?
Nothing unusual - concrete often does have surface cracking when it cures. Small surface cracks aren't structurally significant.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: Trams

#1968 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 pm

AG wrote:
timtam20292 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 pm
Its been reported in the news tonight that cracks have already occurred in the concrete that is part of the extension. The state government says its nothing to worry about. What does everyone think?
Nothing unusual - concrete often does have surface cracking when it cures. Small surface cracks aren't structurally significant.
It wouldn’t be Adelaide if the local media didn’t try to turn something innocuous like surface cracks into
a “cant we do anything right?” StoryImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

rubberman

#1969 Post by rubberman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 am

There was some discussion a while back about the tram works causing problems for the pageant. From what I can see, there are less barriers up than some predicted, but more up than the lady in the DPTI booth said. So, I would be interested to hear how it went from any pageant goers here.

The Scooter Guy

#1970 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 am

Will the 2018 Fringe Opening Parade be held on North Tce?
The grooves in the rails could be filled with temporary 'spacers' for safety.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1971 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 am

rubberman wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 am
There was some discussion a while back about the tram works causing problems for the pageant. From what I can see, there are less barriers up than some predicted, but more up than the lady in the DPTI booth said. So, I would be interested to hear how it went from any pageant goers here.
IIRC some hysterical clown wrote that the North Terrace tram works and eventually the catenary wires would mean that the Pageant would have to be cancelled in an attempt to be the no1 whiner in an AdelaideNo comments section :hilarious: :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#1972 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 am

DPTI did postpone any works on building the platforms until after the pageant (they were scheduled to start prior).

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1973 Post by timtam20292 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Probably best to wait until after the pageant. It has been quiet for a while.

rubberman

#1974 Post by rubberman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 am
rubberman wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 am
IIRC some hysterical clown wrote that the North Terrace tram works and eventually the catenary wires would mean that the Pageant would have to be cancelled in an attempt to be the no1 whiner in an AdelaideNo comments section :hilarious: :wallbash:
I was held ip in a Citadis at Nth/West Tce intersection, waiting for the pageant floats to return. Obviously the pageant organisers are on to it.
Attachments
20171118_124822.jpg
20171118_124822.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 2951 times

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1975 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Work on completing the new North Terrace extension will take place over the next 3 weekends between Friday night and early Monday am. Traffic along North Terrace will be restricted to 1 lane in each direction.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1976 Post by how good is he » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:39 am

On last nights news, there is a last ditch attempt to get the main tram junction on King William and North Tce to turn right (rather than taking 2 trams to get to the ORAH/new extension). Labors reasons against is it was it would create a huge bottleneck and bring traffic to a standstill. (Also it will add $20m to rip it up and re-instate the current system). Further they said the reason the tram wasnt extended to Adelaide Oval (yet) is the KW bridge would need $10m first to re-enforce it for the weight of the trams.
Last edited by how good is he on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1977 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 am

how good is he wrote:On last nights news, there is a last ditch attempt to get the main tram junction on King William and North Tce to turn right (rather than taking 2 trams to get to the ORAH/new extension). Labors reasons against is it was create a huge bottleneck and bring traffic to a standstill. (Also it will add $20m to rip it up and re-instate the current system). Further they said the reason the tram wasnt extended to Adelaide Oval (yet) is the KW bridge would need $10m first to re-enforce it for the weight of the trams.
Is that what that was? Thanks I caught the very last sentence of that report about the bridge having switched over after the news started. Very frustrating. So is the work now the work at the north tce/KW intersection?

rubberman

#1978 Post by rubberman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 am
how good is he wrote:On last nights news, there is a last ditch attempt to get the main tram junction on King William and North Tce to turn right (rather than taking 2 trams to get to the ORAH/new extension). Labors reasons against is it was create a huge bottleneck and bring traffic to a standstill. (Also it will add $20m to rip it up and re-instate the current system). Further they said the reason the tram wasnt extended to Adelaide Oval (yet) is the KW bridge would need $10m first to re-enforce it for the weight of the trams.
Is that what that was? Thanks I caught the very last sentence of that report about the bridge having switched over after the news started. Very frustrating. So is the work now the work at the north tce/KW intersection?

I wonder what tram axle load that bridge was designed for? I mean, it could take coupled H cars, and likely had some safety margin over that.

Nort

#1979 Post by Nort » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am

rubberman wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:49 am
Kasey771 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 am

I wonder what tram axle load that bridge was designed for? I mean, it could take coupled H cars, and likely had some safety margin over that.
Whatever it was, I imagine it didn't predict potentially having multiple heavy vans and buses on the bridge at the same time as those trams.

[Shuz]

#1980 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Honestly, the Government should just bite the bullet and spend the extra $30m on these two improvements. Get it done now and out of the way and lock it in, on the off-chance that the Liberals get into government next March, because we all know nothing will ever be done while they are in power.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.