News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2401 Post by rubberman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm
A case of damned if you do, damned it you don't. The right-hand turn 'fiasco' is the result of a long-term city loop plan, but if the State Government were to release this blueprint, the Libs would argue that it's merely another pipe dream that needs to be funded. But if the Stete Government were to fund it then the Libs would argue at the extra $20m being spent to make it happen. People just need to take a look at how much the footpaths have been buried by the current works, imagine if the right-hand turn was implemented?

Face it, the Libs are f*cking hypocrites. They have literally no PT agenda or foresight for that matter and yet they want to sit there and take shots at the government for actually getting certain projects underway, even if it's conveniently close to election.
Considering no Public Transport plans have yet been announced by any parties your comments are a bit far-fetched to say the least-uninformed!
I think that what Patrick had in mind was something like this:

ALP announces tram extension to East End.

THEN

Liberals say either, we support trams but think for the same money we could deliver trams to the East End AND Adelaide Oval for the same money, OR we think trams are a waste of money and we would spend it on alternatives x,y, or z. Or even "Wait for our campaign and a brand new shiny plan."

Saying that right turns into North Terrace by trams is a good thing, flies into the face of evidence that such turns caused massive tram jams in King William Street in the 1950s. If all Mr Pisoni has got is that, he hasn't done his homework. That apparent laziness worries me more than anything else. This guy should have been all over the project. Especially this close to an election.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2402 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 pm
Even the most self-centred Liberal voters would be able to recognise that their personal drive to work would be improved if "everyone else" was on a few buses and (grade-separated) trains instead of in cars in front of them.
I think you overestimate, not only Liberal voters but the vast majority of road users, who think that the bus in front of them is slowing things down.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rubberman

#2403 Post by rubberman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Last night, they put up the overhead for the curve on the North-East curve. It's not tensioned properly yet. I presume that tensioning, plus more pans at the crossing and the final South-East curve will come next week. The points direction indicator signal for the North-East curve is also in, but not working.

Waewick

#2404 Post by Waewick » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:52 am

monotonehell wrote:
SBD wrote:
Even the most self-centred Liberal voters would be able to recognise that their personal drive to work would be improved if "everyone else" was on a few buses and (grade-separated) trains instead of in cars in front of them.
I think you overestimate, not only Liberal voters but the vast majority of road users, who think that the bus in front of them is slowing things down.
I think you were being unfair to Liberal voters. Id suggest the vast majority of South Australians hold that view, and likely anti bikes too.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2405 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:52 am
monotonehell wrote:
SBD wrote:
I think you were being unfair to Liberal voters. Id suggest the vast majority of South Australians hold that view, and likely anti bikes too.
Sadly I think Waewick is 100% on the money here :(
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2406 Post by monotonehell » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:48 pm
Waewick wrote:
monotonehell wrote: I think you overestimate, not only Liberal voters but the vast majority of road users, who think that the bus in front of them is slowing things down.
Sadly I think Waewick is 100% on the money here :(
Hey! I said it first. ;P

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2407 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Driving along the Southern side of North Terrace this afternoon(or should I say crawling) from East Terrace and looking at the amount of work still needed to be done both tram stops and track and surrounds as well as overhead etc. there still seems to be a lot of work before it is completed and ready for trams to test.
At the present rate that will almost certainly stretch well into March-maybe Weatherill won't get to cut the ribbon before election day!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2408 Post by monotonehell » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 pm
Driving along the Southern side of North Terrace this afternoon(or should I say crawling) from East Terrace and looking at the amount of work still needed to be done both tram stops and track and surrounds as well as overhead etc. there still seems to be a lot of work before it is completed and ready for trams to test.
At the present rate that will almost certainly stretch well into March-maybe Weatherill won't get to cut the ribbon before election day!
They've certainly been busy overnight. Every weekday-night I can hear them working. Daytime they pack it all away and move the traffic restrictions back into place.

SBD

#2409 Post by SBD » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:06 pm
They've certainly been busy overnight. Every weekday-night I can hear them working. Daytime they pack it all away and move the traffic restrictions back into place.
What are the limitations on who is allowed to cut ribbons between when the election writs are issued (17 Feb) and returned (after 26 March)?

rubberman

#2410 Post by rubberman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm
monotonehell wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:06 pm
What are the limitations on who is allowed to cut ribbons between when the election writs are issued (17 Feb) and returned (after 26 March)?
Agencies are not supposed to do anything to promote one party over the other. Therefore Adelaide Metro have to be very careful. (As does the contractor). Too big a deal over the opening, it favours Labor. No opening, it favours the Liberals. Either way, if a departmental head gets it wrong, it's a quick trip out the door.

The safest might be a soft opening with no fanfare. Say, trams running "experimentally" on "test runs", but no ribbon or sausage sizzle till after the election.

Patrick_27

#2411 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:19 am

What I've noticed about this whole process is how sloppy some of the finishes are, when you compare to the extension of Victoria Square to City West. I'd rather the disruptions and it open in May then the whole process be rushed to meet a pre-election deadline...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2412 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 am

Even though the trams might start running in March, that does not mean that the project is done. There will be a lot of finishing works after it's been opened.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2413 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:26 am

Waewick wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
SBD wrote:
the vast majority of Adelaide drivers are distracted, ignorant, angry, aggressive, entitled dangers to themselves and other road users :(
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2414 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 am
Even though the trams might start running in March, that does not mean that the project is done. There will be a lot of finishing works after it's been opened.
excellent. The Advertiser can dust off its articles decrying the O-bahn tunnel as "already broken" when it was shut on a couple of weekend evenings for finishing works and just change "obahn tunnel" for "Controversial Tram extension" :wallbash: :wallbash:

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#2415 Post by Haso » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 am

Looking at some old photos I can see that some trams have a line number and others don’t.
Anyone willing to share some knowledge about the tram line numbering in Adelaide... until they sort out North Terrace.
Where I came from... all trams had a destination and a line number. Always.
For example, some photos taken in St. Kilda by Nathan.

Thank you.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.