News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will409
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2851 Post by Will409 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 pm
That looks like three grand union junctions down King William Street? (it's hard to tell as the street directory does not show two tracks), and also Wakefield/Pulteney/Hanson Streets?

Did the trams run both ways on one side of Whitmore Square, or did that section only go northbound? It looks like that end of Sturt Street fed into West Terrace to Currie Street as part of a city loop (no straight on drawn in West Terrace at Currie or Sturt Streets.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 92709&z=11

If you have a look at the photos for Whitmore Square, you will see both UP and DOWN tracks were located on the one side of the square.

The only full grand union in Adelaide was at the King William Street/North Terrace intersection. Three quarter unions were located in Hindmarsh Square and the intersection of Wakefield Street/Pulteney Street.

KWS/Grenfell/Currie Street intersection was an interesting case as before 1952, the tracks on KWS were the only tracks running straight across the intersection. Grenfell Street and Currie Street weren’t directly connected with tracks running straight across and instead had double track curves running in every direction. After 1952, tracks were laid across King William Street connecting Grenfell and Currie Streets directly. The double track curves were all reduced to a single track curve (think of the current eastern side of the new King William Street/North Terrace Junction mirrored).

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2852 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:06 am

Article in today’s paper saying Atleast another month of work. It’s been delayed due to adelaide 500 and fringe. Yep those events came out of nowhere and we’re totally unexpected...

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2853 Post by rubberman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:46 am

Ben wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:06 am
Article in today’s paper saying Atleast another month of work. It’s been delayed due to adelaide 500 and fringe. Yep those events came out of nowhere and we’re totally unexpected...

I'd agree with you there. The three weeks before the election saw almost zero work on the stops. This is simple concrete and assembly work. Yet for three weeks they did nothing. It's almost as if the Contractor was on strike...just before an election.

Working night and day for months, and then zero for 3 weeks before the election. Hmm. I wonder if they had kept up with the number of workers on the job, night and day, as promised, then it might now be finished.

Then there's the traffic control people. They were still working round the stops. It's almost like the traffic control people were supposed to be protecting people who didn't turn up.

It couldn't be that the contractors were hoping that a Liberal Government might be more receptive to their expensive airport tram rort? Nah. Impossible.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2854 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 pm

I thought the extra money was being spent so that the works could be completed on time, not for work to come to a halt for three weeks and now an extra month of work is now needed. What a joke.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2855 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Haso wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:35 pm
Nathan wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm
Ben wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:06 pm
Apparently the government failed to submit a proposal to infrastructure Australia in time for the May budget deadline.
The article implies they did, but that it didn't make Infrastructure Australia's list of priority projects.
I also couldn’t make it past the paywall but the summary sound somehow triumphant… maybe the article is a bit different...hope so.

airport tram.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the airport tram a private, unsolicited bid.

Imagine if Weatherill took that up - Marshall would be up in arms quicker than you can say Gillman

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2856 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:35 pm

Ben wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:06 am
Here is the article

SBD

#2857 Post by SBD » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Will409 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 pm
That looks like three grand union junctions down King William Street? (it's hard to tell as the street directory does not show two tracks), and also Wakefield/Pulteney/Hanson Streets?

Did the trams run both ways on one side of Whitmore Square, or did that section only go northbound? It looks like that end of Sturt Street fed into West Terrace to Currie Street as part of a city loop (no straight on drawn in West Terrace at Currie or Sturt Streets.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 92709&z=11

If you have a look at the photos for Whitmore Square, you will see both UP and DOWN tracks were located on the one side of the square.

The only full grand union in Adelaide was at the King William Street/North Terrace intersection. Three quarter unions were located in Hindmarsh Square and the intersection of Wakefield Street/Pulteney Street.

KWS/Grenfell/Currie Street intersection was an interesting case as before 1952, the tracks on KWS were the only tracks running straight across the intersection. Grenfell Street and Currie Street weren’t directly connected with tracks running straight across and instead had double track curves running in every direction. After 1952, tracks were laid across King William Street connecting Grenfell and Currie Streets directly. The double track curves were all reduced to a single track curve (think of the current eastern side of the new King William Street/North Terrace Junction mirrored).
Thank you. From the positions of the parked car and the trailer in the photos for the Sturt Street/Whitmore Square stop, I see that Whitmore Square at the time was a two-way street, rather than the oversized roundabout formation it has now, so having trams run both ways would not have seemed odd.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2858 Post by Norman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:45 pm

From yesterday

Festival Centre Stop

Lights are starting to be installed again. About 80% are back in.

Gawler Place stop

Wilson Par Park intersection

Pulteney Street intersection

Pulteney Street stop
Tiling remains to be done on the ramp

Frome Street intersection

East End stop

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2859 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 pm

Great pics Norman, though what the hell is going on with this?. I pass this daily and I've hardly seen any work being done.

It's seem since the election work is now being done at snail pace. It's beyond ridiculous now.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#2860 Post by Haso » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:56 pm

crawf wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:02 pm
Great pics Norman, though what the hell is going on with this?. I pass this daily and I've hardly seen any work being done.

It's seem since the election work is now being done at snail pace. It's beyond ridiculous now.
Thanks Norman for the photos… I am avoiding that area, otherwise I will become depressed… I need a plum brandy now.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2861 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:36 am

crawf wrote:

They do the bulk of the work overnight, then pack it all away for the day traffic.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2862 Post by adelaide transport » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:10 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:36 am
crawf wrote:

They do the bulk of the work overnight, then pack it all away for the day traffic.
Its like they are on a "Go Slow" campaign.It looks like only a minimal amount is done each night?

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2863 Post by adelaide transport » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Citadis Tram 208 had its first day in service today.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#2864 Post by Tonsley213 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Surely can’t be too long before we see test teams running on the extensions could it?

The Scooter Guy

#2865 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:47 pm
Surely can’t be too long before we see test teams running on the extensions could it?
Most Likely! :D
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/