News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2881 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm

sooo... Does anyone have any idea when the East End extension will open? I walk past it every morning and night, surely they can't be far away from finished now.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2882 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm

SuperEgz wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm
sooo... Does anyone have any idea when the East End extension will open? I walk past it every morning and night, surely they can't be far away from finished now.
Late April/Early May.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rubberman

#2883 Post by rubberman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:25 pm

SuperEgz wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm
They did almost no work on the stops for three weeks before the election, and have literally spent two weeks putting down pavers...and not finishing that even.

There's something very dodgy going on here. Almost two months to fit out a tram stop? Nah, something smells very fishy.

metro
Legendary Member!

#2884 Post by metro » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 pm

The slow work is annoying for the finishing touches after how quickly tracks went in, but i'm sure it wont be long and trams will be running.

At least it isn't the complete fiasco Sydney has been putting up with since 2014, still nowhere near finished, and it will be over-crowded from opening day. :roll:

Patrick_27

#2885 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 pm

And yet still no word on whether they intend on replacing the streetlamp/wire poles that are bending significantly inward to the roadway. Not only does it look tacky, provided the weather is bad enough or something were to clip it, it wouldn't take much for something to bring one down...

rubberman

#2886 Post by rubberman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:02 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 pm
And yet still no word on whether they intend on replacing the streetlamp/wire poles that are bending significantly inward to the roadway. Not only does it look tacky, provided the weather is bad enough or something were to clip it, it wouldn't take much for something to bring one down...
Unlike the old tram poles which were specifically dedigned for the job, these just look like light poles.

It's not merely the shitty look of the bend, it's whether they are safe. It's also one thing as they are, but what happens when trams go by and the pantographs bounce up and down a bit.

The thicker poles seem ok, but they are very obtrusive. The old poles, designed for trams were slimmer that the new thick poles, but did the job because of thicker steel.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#2887 Post by citywatcher » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:58 pm

They certainly don't look in a hurry either way
I reckon this is still weeks and weeks away

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

SBD

#2888 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm

rubberman wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:02 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 pm
Unlike the old tram poles which were specifically dedigned for the job, these just look like light poles.

It's not merely the shitty look of the bend, it's whether they are safe. It's also one thing as they are, but what happens when trams go by and the pantographs bounce up and down a bit.

The thicker poles seem ok, but they are very obtrusive. The old poles, designed for trams were slimmer that the new thick poles, but did the job because of thicker steel.
Do we have anyone from DPTI or Downer lurking here? Is it possible that the slowdown is because someone noticed the poles are not fit-for-purpose, and the delay is while someone designs and sources new ones?

rooshooter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2889 Post by rooshooter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:07 pm

I asked Dpti today, probably just a standard reply but anyway -

Hi, the City Tram Extension Project is expected to be completed by late April, when the commissioning of the line will occur, followed by driver training.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#2890 Post by SuperEgz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:48 pm

rooshooter wrote:I asked Dpti today, probably just a standard reply but anyway -

Hi, the City Tram Extension Project is expected to be completed by late April, when the commissioning of the line will occur, followed by driver training.
So the line won't actually be open to the public til mid May or so.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Waewick

#2891 Post by Waewick » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm

So its pretty clear that this was a last ditch effort by Labor to win the seat of Adelaide.

Given we are all fans of trams are we happy with this spur?

Given we know the Libs are only really keen on North Adelaide and the rubbish around the right hand turn. Do you think the money would have been better spent (and perhaps a better vote getter) just going up Oconnell?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#2892 Post by citywatcher » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Waewick wrote:So its pretty clear that this was a last ditch effort by Labor to win the seat of Adelaide.

Given we know the Libs are only really keen on North Adelaide and the rubbish around the right hand turn. Do you think the money would have been better spent (and perhaps a better vote getter) just going up Oconnell?
No
No
No

Waewick

#2893 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 am

citywatcher wrote:
Waewick wrote:So its pretty clear that this was a last ditch effort by Labor to win the seat of Adelaide.

No
No
No

So no to being driven by an election.
No to happy with spur
No to going up O'Connell?

(Just to clarify when i mean rubbish about RHT i meant it being an issue rather than it not being there).

rubberman

#2894 Post by rubberman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 am

Waewick wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm
So its pretty clear that this was a last ditch effort by Labor to win the seat of Adelaide.

The Adelink proposal has been out there for a couple of years now. If the Liberals do something, which is part of a bigger plan, before the next election, can we quote you?

I think the spur as it is has some defects. Bendy poles for one. Citadis for two. However, I would give completion of the Citylink a higher priority than the North Adelaide line. The Citylink route actually opens up the South East quadrant of the city to development. North Adelaide residents won't allow any development there. There's a huge difference in development potential in favour of Citylink. Then there’s the ability of people to get off the O-bahn at the tunnel entry and transfer to trams going to the RAH and Adelaide Railway Station in one way, and Hutt Street and King Wm Street South as well. North Adelaide has no such connectivity. Finally, I dislike the bits and pieces approach here. Why not do all of the Citylink, or all of the Prospect line, not bits of one and bits of another? With the bits and pieces approach, we end up with expensive crossovers at the end of each bit. What happens when we get to North Adelaide? Another scissors crossover? Or do we pull the one at Riverside out and move it? Same at East End. Messy.

Waewick

#2895 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 am

rubberman wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 am
Waewick wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:56 pm

The Adelink proposal has been out there for a couple of years now. If the Liberals do something, which is part of a bigger plan, before the next election, can we quote you?

I think the spur as it is has some defects. Bendy poles for one. Citadis for two. However, I would give completion of the Citylink a higher priority than the North Adelaide line. The Citylink route actually opens up the South East quadrant of the city to development. North Adelaide residents won't allow any development there. There's a huge difference in development potential in favour of Citylink. Then there’s the ability of people to get off the O-bahn at the tunnel entry and transfer to trams going to the RAH and Adelaide Railway Station in one way, and Hutt Street and King Wm Street South as well. North Adelaide has no such connectivity. Finally, I dislike the bits and pieces approach here. Why not do all of the Citylink, or all of the Prospect line, not bits of one and bits of another? With the bits and pieces approach, we end up with expensive crossovers at the end of each bit. What happens when we get to North Adelaide? Another scissors crossover? Or do we pull the one at Riverside out and move it? Same at East End. Messy.
quote me on what? I'm curious as to what people think.

personally I just want the tram to be extended somewhere as you say. my concern here is simply the spur line is it. had it been close to Oconnell there might have been more of a business case for the libs to extend it.

I wonder when this new infrastructure board is being setup and when they will make their first submission. You would hope someone is still working on something to submit to the feds for the May Budget.