News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3061 Post by claybro » Sun May 27, 2018 6:12 pm

I actually thought the stadium idea where the new hospital is was a good one. I have had to explain numerous times to people interstate, why the Northern end of Adelaide Oval is left undeveloped. I thought the one way expressway was a good solution to the commuter traffic problem for a state that at the time had been facing buncruptcy.. (it was only ever meant as a temporary measure you know ). I thought that finally fazing out of the Red Hens by purchasing enough 3000 series cars was a good thing. I think the Mt Barker Freeway and associated tunnels, which prevented one truck a month rolling over, was also a good thing... so rewrite history if you wish, and that the Liberals never bring any developement to the table. However one thing I do agree on, I like trams and light rail.. they make a city feel and look modern, are quieter, and smoother to ride than bushes, and on that point, the existing tram extension would never have happened had it not been for the Labor government. So for that, I thank them.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3062 Post by citywatcher » Sun May 27, 2018 6:53 pm

claybro wrote:I actually thought the stadium idea where the new hospital is was a good one. I have had to explain numerous times to people interstate, why the Northern end of Adelaide Oval is left undeveloped. I thought the one way expressway was a good solution to the commuter traffic problem for a state that at the time had been facing buncruptcy.. (it was only ever meant as a temporary measure you know ). I thought that finally fazing out of the Red Hens by purchasing enough 3000 series cars was a good thing. I think the Mt Barker Freeway and associated tunnels, which prevented one truck a month rolling over, was also a good thing... so rewrite history if you wish, and that the Liberals never bring any developement to the table. However one thing I do agree on, I like trams and light rail.. they make a city feel and look modern, are quieter, and smoother to ride than bushes, and on that point, the existing tram extension would never have happened had it not been for the Labor government. So for that, I thank them.
The current positioning of the oval is far superior
Putting a stadium on such a busy thoroughfare shows stupidity as in where the nrah is
Rolling stock is continually upgraded no matter who what where
The freeway was a federal project
Labor projects have reinvigorated the city

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Waewick

#3063 Post by Waewick » Sun May 27, 2018 6:56 pm

citywatcher wrote:Off topic but you'll get the gist
If the liberals were in power we wouldn't have this group
No oval hospital no medical precinct no kw tram festival plaza etc
They opposed it all they just don't seem to have a will to build infrastructure
It costs money and besides it doesn't benefit traditional Liberal voters
This tram is no different
It will be finished through gritted teeth

The whole river front precinct was a Liberal idea.

They have different plans. Honestly

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3064 Post by citywatcher » Sun May 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Any govt would have had plans
Waewick wrote:
citywatcher wrote:Off topic but you'll get the gist
If the liberals were in power we wouldn't have this group
No oval hospital no medical precinct no kw tram festival plaza etc
They opposed it all they just don't seem to have a will to build infrastructure
It costs money and besides it doesn't benefit traditional Liberal voters
This tram is no different
It will be finished through gritted teeth

The whole river front precinct was a Liberal idea.

They have different plans. Honestly
Any govt would have had plans for the area
It was a state wide strategic objective
Labor fulfilled the plans
I think making the footbridge out of metal and concrete rather than bamboo clinched it

rubberman

#3065 Post by rubberman » Sun May 27, 2018 7:01 pm

Text of an email from the tram project stakeholder team:

"Dear Stakeholder,

The City Tram Extension Project would like to provide an update on the progress of works.

The project is now in a commissioning phase.

Following this, tram driver training will be undertaken and it is anticipated passenger services will begin in mid July 2018.

Thank you for your patience. If you have any further queries, please contact the project team on [email protected] or 1300 030 919.

kind regards

The Stakeholder Engagement Team"

rubberman

#3066 Post by rubberman » Mon May 28, 2018 5:43 pm

For anyone wondering about service disruption about 5pm today. Citadis, meet small car...bump.
20180528_165654_resized.jpg
Ouch!
20180528_165654_resized.jpg (213.37 KiB) Viewed 2835 times

Apologies for the image quality, it was getting darkish..

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3067 Post by how good is he » Mon May 28, 2018 8:22 pm

It’s about 10 weeks since the election. Does the forum think more should have been announced (or proposed) by the Libs by now? I know they had a plan for there first 100 days in office (only 30 days away), do we think more action is coming soon?

ChillyPhilly

#3068 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 28, 2018 9:27 pm

how good is he wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:22 pm
It’s about 10 weeks since the election. Does the forum think more should have been announced (or proposed) by the Libs by now? I know they had a plan for there first 100 days in office (only 30 days away), do we think more action is coming soon?
For a government that waited 16 years to return to power, I'm really not seeing any sign of urgency. Then again, I don't expect it either. I'm also really disappointed that they haven't stood up to the Federal Government for screwing us over with the Budget.

Here's Marshall speak for 'we've got the job, now we don't have to do anything': https://indaily.com.au/news/politics/20 ... fident-sa/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#3069 Post by Bob » Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm

This may already be old news to some, but...

I believe the Mayor of NPSP Council has received final confirmation from the new State Government that the originally Labor proposed Tram down Norwood Parade will definitely not be going ahead under the new State Liberal Government. We all know that was stated at Election time, but apparently it's now confirmed.

As such NPSP have/will be releasing their Masterplan for The Parade redevelopment out to public consultation this week on the basis NO future tram line has to be catered for.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#3070 Post by Bob » Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm

I believe the Mayor of NPSP Council has received final confirmation from the new State Government that the originally Labor proposed Tram down Norwood Parade will definitely not be going ahead under the new State Liberal Government. We all know that was stated at Election time, but apparently it's now confirmed.

As such NPSP have/will be releasing their Masterplan for The Parade redevelopment out to public consultation this week on the basis NO future tram line has to be catered for.
Sorry - I have been catching up on the online news and just noticed the media release has already gone out about the above, I should have checked before posting!

On another note, for the sake of your own well being, please don't read the Comments in The Advertiser on the recent article regarding the City Tram Extension delay's. I just made the mistake of reading them - the ongoing brainwashing of the masses against Trams is alive & well and is depressing.

Nathan

#3071 Post by Nathan » Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm
On another note, for the sake of your own well being, please don't read the Comments in The Advertiser on the recent article regarding the City Tram Extension delay's. I just made the mistake of reading them - the ongoing brainwashing of the masses against Trams is alive & well and is depressing.
The print edition actually recycled the 'tram to nowhere' bit for the headline. :toilet:

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3072 Post by citywatcher » Tue May 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Nathan wrote:
Bob wrote:
The print edition actually recycled the 'tram to nowhere' bit for the headline. :toilet:
It will be a tram to nowhere under this govt

SBD

#3073 Post by SBD » Tue May 29, 2018 2:18 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:12 pm
Nathan wrote:
Bob wrote:
It will be a tram to nowhere under this govt
I thought they have so many ideas for what to do with the former RAH site that it might be a squeeze to fit it all in. Combined with the east end of Rundle Street, Botanic Gardens and Rundle Park it's certainly not "nowhere". And the terminus station is essentially irrelevant anyway - tram destinations east of King William Street include the museum, art gallery, two university campuses, Rundle Mall and Street etc.

claybro

#3074 Post by claybro » Tue May 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Well is it any wonder why the general population is not sold on trams when their local councils just immediately run up the white flag, and propose a master plan, without any provision for a tram long term?-How ridiculous. The moment Labor get back in, be it 3 years or 10 years, they will re-commence the tram rollout. I can almost hear the sigh of relief from NPSPC not having to confront their nimbys about chopping down trees on the Parade median. Re the tram to nowhere comments, well, the former government kind of allowed that perception by not having its own master plan for how the whole thing would be rolled out. Cudos to Labor for getting trams off the ground, but the whole tram thing has been poorly executed. The slow tram ride to Hindmarsh, and no apparent development that people can see along Port road, also lead the general public to assume that whole extension has been a waste, together with the dithering on OH light rail, and city loop or suburban arguments. No clear vision.

English Electric
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3075 Post by English Electric » Tue May 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Has anyone seen the two "new" Citadis 207 & 209 out and about yet?

While I don't go out of my way to look out for particular trams, I have seen 208 in service a good few times but never noticed 207 or 209 yet.