News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1156 Post by claybro » Wed May 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I'll agree with you on The Parade, but have you been down Prospect Road during peak hour? It's a nightmare... I'm all for trams along Prospect Road by the way, but they'd need to widen Churchill Road to allow for four lanes as opposed to two.
I've driven along prospect road around 4pm a few months back. Yes it is a single file run. Yes the average speed was probably only about 20-30km/...but it was moving. most folk seem to be moseying along just looking for a park or the next side street. Not sure if a tram with sensibly placed stops would be too much of a problem, particularly if it replaces buses.
Have to agree with you re Churchill Road though. I think it was a mistake to make it single lane since it is such a through route. I know it is earmarked for higher density, but there is still a lot of commercial and heavy vehicles along there. Trams on Prospect road would significantly increase traffic along Churchill road.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1157 Post by Norman » Wed May 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Wouldn't the North-South corridor alleviate some of that traffic?

claybro

#1158 Post by claybro » Wed May 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Yes and also once the N/S motorway is finally up and running will also take some traffic off of Churchill.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1159 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:01 am

Has anyone else seen Kate Ellis' "standing up for adelaide" mail out? It contains a large map showing what she'll be pushing for including the AdeLink network. The proposed tram extensions are however...different.

City Loop runs west from KWS along Currie street and continues along Henley Beach Rd as the WestLink,
and runs east from KWS along Rundle Mall and Street and continues out to the parade as the EastLink,
the eastern north-south runs along Pulteney continuing to Unley Rd for the UnleyLInk,
the western north-south runs along Morphett between Currie and the bottom of Whitmore Sq before heading east along Sturt St.

ProspectLink follows KWS to Nth Adelaide, but deviates to run along Margaret Street instead of O'Connell?!

PortLink? A mysterious tramline begins at Chief St in Brompton and runs towards the Port along a somewhat imaginary alignment roughly following Cedar Ave.

I checked her site which says
The State Government is currently preparing a detailed business case for the construction of the AdeLINK tram network...
details also include the old
EastLINK – extending east through Kent Town to The Parade.
WestLINK – following Henley Beach Road to Henley Square, with a branch line to Adelaide Airport. The existing tram line to Glenelg also forms part of WestLINK.
ProspectLINK – following O’Connell Street to Prospect Road.
UnleyLINK – following Unley Road and Belair Road to Mitcham.
CityLINK – following a continuous loop around the city with transfers at other tram lines and the Adelaide Railway Station.
PortLINK – using the existing Outer Harbor line with additional services to Port Adelaide, West Lakes and Semaphore.
I would assume therefore the map is much more visual in nature than what they would actually fund...I hope.

[Shuz]

#1160 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 am

Probably the office intern produced the map, and being in the middle of an election campaign none of the senior staffers could be arsed double checking the content of what they send out.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#1161 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:21 am

fishinajar wrote:A mysterious tramline
I like the sound of this one. Something different - like that train off Harry Potter.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1162 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:14 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
fishinajar wrote:A mysterious tramline
I like the sound of this one. Something different - like that train off Harry Potter.
lol. That would be good actually.

Patrick_27

#1163 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:31 pm

What's the state government's contingency for the tram network expansion (and Gawler electrification) if federal Labor aren't elected into power today? There's obviously no negotiating on the matter of PT with the Coalition, and we can't fund it entirely on our own. Could the state government possibly go after the Coalition for a larger slice of funding for future South Road projects to ease up their own accounts to finance these PT projects?

rubberman

#1164 Post by rubberman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:What's the state government's contingency for the tram network expansion (and Gawler electrification) if federal Labor aren't elected into power today? There's obviously no negotiating on the matter of PT with the Coalition, and we can't fund it entirely on our own. Could the state government possibly go after the Coalition for a larger slice of funding for future South Road projects to ease up their own accounts to finance these PT projects?
The present feasibility study and public consultation after it is published might take a year.

Then, there's the detailed planning, gaining of approvals, dealing with the NIMBYs. That has to take two to three years.

Considering all the administrative and planning hoops a project like this has to jump through, there won't possibly be much spent before 2019.

So, the obvious plan is to get the administrative and design details out of the way over the next three years.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1165 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:19 pm

According to InDaily:
The Budget includes $58 million over the next three years to modernise South Australia’s diesel-powered trains, upgrade the City South tram station and improve “low-carbon” transport infrastructure, including cycling routes.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/07/07/f ... -a-glance/

Finally!

PeFe

#1166 Post by PeFe » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 am

With the promise of the new tram line down the eastern part of North Terrace (meaning that there will be 2 tram lines, the exact configuration yet to be announced) I think it is time to install electronic destination/timing boards at all the tram stops.
This is standard practice in the rest of the western world and will be needed in Adelaide.
The signs only need to say 2 things : destination and how many minutes till the next tram arrives.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1167 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:01 am

Norman wrote:According to InDaily:
The Budget includes $58 million over the next three years to modernise South Australia’s diesel-powered trains, upgrade the City South tram station and improve “low-carbon” transport infrastructure, including cycling routes.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/07/07/f ... -a-glance/

Finally!
The whole tram track from Victoria Square to South Terrace needs renewing-it is a shocker.As well Jetty Road Glenelg has also deteriorated.What about;-
all the TSR's along the right of way tracks that slow down services.
the traffic lights in North Terrace and King William Street that do not give trams immediate access,that slow down services.
These need to be fixed by the time the new extension is ready to operate,so we can speed up services and release at least 1 or 2 trams for the new service.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1168 Post by Norman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:27 am

So Stephen Mulligan said that there will be a 10 minute frequency on the new line. In that case, I think the following will be the schedule:

Peak:
Glenelg to Hindmarsh - Every 10 Mins
Glenelg to East End - Every 10 Mins
This maintains the current 5 minute frequency on the line.

Off-peak:
Glenelg to Hindmarsh - Every 10 Mins
South Terrace to East End - Every 10 Mins

That's my best guess anyway.

Nathan

#1169 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:45 pm

Even if they don't do Hindmarsh <-> East End, surely they'd have to at least have a shuttle between East End & West Tce. I'm sure they'd want to connect the line up with the Railway Station, the new RAH, and between the two uni campuses.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1170 Post by fishinajar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:47 pm

Nathan wrote:Even if they don't do Hindmarsh <-> East End, surely they'd have to at least have a shuttle between East End & West Tce. I'm sure they'd want to connect the line up with the Railway Station, the new RAH, and between the two uni campuses.
It does seem strange not too. Maybe they're worried of having empty trams?