News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1171 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:50 pm

As I understand the current plan,trams will operate from West Terrace to East Terrace.Whilst it would be good to have a South Terrace to East Terrace shuttle as well,without purchasing more trams there are not sufficient to do both.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1172 Post by rubberman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:51 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Norman wrote:According to InDaily:
The Budget includes $58 million over the next three years to modernise South Australia’s diesel-powered trains, upgrade the City South tram station and improve “low-carbon” transport infrastructure, including cycling routes.
http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/07/07/f ... -a-glance/

Finally!
The whole tram track from Victoria Square to South Terrace needs renewing-it is a shocker.As well Jetty Road Glenelg has also deteriorated.What about;-
all the TSR's along the right of way tracks that slow down services.
the traffic lights in North Terrace and King William Street that do not give trams immediate access,that slow down services.
These need to be fixed by the time the new extension is ready to operate,so we can speed up services and release at least 1 or 2 trams for the new service.
The main problem with the track in those areas is that the thermit welded rail joints have worn faster than the rails they joined. Hence they bang loudly as a tram goes over. :banana:

It's relatively cheap to build those up with welding then grinding flush. It could be done between trams in a week or so. 8)

I'm sure the government knows that though. :hilarious:

PeFe

#1173 Post by PeFe » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:17 pm

I found this excellent article on the Parisian tram system (from an American transit site)
Not all relevant to Adelaide of course, but some tram "issues" are universal, the article is definitely worth reading

http://transitcenter.org/2016/07/07/par ... yper-cool/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1174 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 am

Ex-Transport chief Rod Hook says department officials sceptical that trams are a viable public transport option for suburban main streets
Michael McGuire, The Advertiser
August 9, 2016 9:55pm

THE former head of the Transport Department has cast doubt on the State Government’s plans for a suburban tram network, saying “very significant people within the department” have told him the project will never happen.

But the Government has labelled the claim as “absolute nonsense” and insists planning for the ADLink project is well under way.

Speaking as he presented his ambitious elevated Skyway public transport proposal to Unley Council on Tuesday night, Rod Hook said senior department officials were sceptical that trams were a viable public transport option for suburban main streets, including The Parade and Unley Rd.

A government spokeswoman on Tuesday night told The Advertiser that Mr Hook’s claims were “absolute nonsense”.

She said the Government had already committed $50 million to extend the North Tce tramline and last week called for expressions of interest from local companies to undertake “final detailed design elements”.
So what do we make of the comments? Truth or a comment made with a conflict of interest?

rubberman

#1175 Post by rubberman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:15 am

Norman wrote:
Ex-Transport chief Rod Hook says department officials sceptical that trams are a viable public transport option for suburban main streets
Michael McGuire, The Advertiser
August 9, 2016 9:55pm

THE former head of the Transport Department has cast doubt on the State Government’s plans for a suburban tram network, saying “very significant people within the department” have told him the project will never happen.

But the Government has labelled the claim as “absolute nonsense” and insists planning for the ADLink project is well under way.

Speaking as he presented his ambitious elevated Skyway public transport proposal to Unley Council on Tuesday night, Rod Hook said senior department officials were sceptical that trams were a viable public transport option for suburban main streets, including The Parade and Unley Rd.

A government spokeswoman on Tuesday night told The Advertiser that Mr Hook’s claims were “absolute nonsense”.

She said the Government had already committed $50 million to extend the North Tce tramline and last week called for expressions of interest from local companies to undertake “final detailed design elements”.
So what do we make of the comments? Truth or a comment made with a conflict of interest?
My gut feeling is that Mr Hook is correct.

Again going with a gut feeling, what would prove him wrong is an heroic scale of population density increase along those corridors, plus getting some more realistic construction costs for building the infrastructure. Looking not only at the costs proposed for Canberra and Sydney, but also the Sydney designs, I say the likelihood of reasonable costs is also an heroic assumption.

So, my gut feeling is that getting two heroic assumptions to line up is going to be a big ask.

However, there's a feasibility study coming up, so I'd reckon we should wait for that.

Ok, now let me put on my tinfoil hat. :mrgreen:

Just suppose he's right, and the government knows that. Getting an ex government insider to float the possibility it's not going to happen might just be softening us up for the release of a feasibility study that says...it's not feasible. Maybe with a sop of a small extension from the Entercentre to Hindmarsh Stadium and the North Terrace line extended to the Stag to interchange with the O-Bahn tunnel. Something that looks like an extension, but quietly dropping the whole big system idea.

Ok. *Takes off tinfoil hat* :P

ChillyPhilly

#1176 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:00 am

I just think it's a bit ironic for someone proposing a... Skyway...to come out and say this.

Also, you don't wait for density to increase. You put transport in first.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#1177 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:14 am

A day after spruking his Skyway system as a tram alternative?

Massive conflict of interest.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1178 Post by monotonehell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:20 am

Llessur2002 wrote:A day after spruking his Skyway system as a tram alternative?

Massive conflict of interest.
That tends to colour his statement somewhat.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#1179 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:33 pm

Norwood will happen within 3 years.

Labor want Marshalls seat so you can lock it in.

rubberman

#1180 Post by rubberman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Waewick wrote:Norwood will happen within 3 years.

If that were the case, and I don't discount it, then I see a couple of possibilities:

Announce it by Christmas this year, and have it complete in time for the March 2018 election, or announce it just before the next election with completion by 2022.

When's the feasibility report due?

Waewick

#1181 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:20 pm

rubberman wrote:
Waewick wrote:Norwood will happen within 3 years.

If that were the case, and I don't discount it, then I see a couple of possibilities:

Announce it by Christmas this year, and have it complete in time for the March 2018 election, or announce it just before the next election with completion by 2022.

When's the feasibility report due?
From what I understand, the NSP council is finalising it. Well their part anyway.

rubberman

#1182 Post by rubberman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:57 am

This just happened to rumble past a couple of days ago as I was loitering near the Central Market.
Attachments
20160909_132613_resized.jpg
20160909_132613_resized.jpg (413.64 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

Waewick

#1183 Post by Waewick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:38 am

What is that?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1184 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:04 am

Probably for the Shandong delegation.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#1185 Post by Alyx » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:47 pm

Waewick wrote:What is that?
One of the two H type trams retained and restored by Adelaide Metro. They were originally to be used on Sunday tourist services, but are now only available for charter.

The second tram, 351, looks like this.