News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3676 Post by Nathan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 am

Norman wrote:What an utterly redicilous way to launch this long awaited project. No decency and respect to the community. Was there even an official launch or did they just hit the start button?

However, it's good to finally see it in operation.
I assume they purposely wanted as little fanfare as possible, hence burying the announcement on a Friday night. Less than 12 hours notice is pretty ridiculous, especially when it has major timetable changes on the existing route.

The pedant in me also cringes that they left the name of the last stop as Botanic Gardens.

Waewick

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3677 Post by Waewick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 am

I can't see any benefit in a big launch, i think we are all well beyond that.

I'm curious to as why Nathan doesn't like the name Botanic Gardens?

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3678 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 am

Waewick wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 am
I can't see any benefit in a big launch, i think we are all well beyond that.

Yeah, it's gotta be better than 'OLD RAH'!

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#3679 Post by Jaymz » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:42 am

The Botanic Gardens are one of our most visited tourist attractions, so makes perfect sense to me.

rubberman

#3680 Post by rubberman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:44 am

Norman wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:51 am
What an utterly redicilous way to launch this long awaited project. No decency and respect to the community. Was there even an official launch or did they just hit the start button?

There were enough people on the first tram that the Channel 7 camera crew could shoot. That changes the story from "First Tram a Flop" to something more respectable. :banana: Imagine the story if there was only the camera crew there and no other passengers. :sly:

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#3681 Post by Haso » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:53 am

Norman wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:51 am
What an utterly redicilous way to launch this long awaited project. No decency and respect to the community. Was there even an official launch or did they just hit the start button?

I agree completely.

One more thing, "I like" this signage Botanic Garden – Adelaide or Festival Plaza – Adelaide. Just in case if somebody wake up in a morning and not sure where he/she is. :D

Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Nathan

#3682 Post by Nathan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 am

Waewick wrote:I can't see any benefit in a big launch, i think we are all well beyond that.

Because it should be Botanic Garden, no plural. Botanic Garden of Adelaide (under Botanic Gardens of South Australia, because there are three).

So I’m fine with naming stops after adjacent institutions, but when we do so, we should actually get their name correct.

Waewick

#3683 Post by Waewick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am

Nathan wrote:
Waewick wrote:I can't see any benefit in a big launch, i think we are all well beyond that.

Because it should be Botanic Garden, no plural. Botanic Garden of Adelaide (under Botanic Gardens of South Australia, because there are three).

So I’m fine with naming stops after adjacent institutions, but when we do so, we should actually get their name correct.
It is the Botanic Gardens of Adelaide, but now I'm intrigued.

At these times i wish i knew an English professor.

Nathan

#3684 Post by Nathan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am

Waewick wrote:
Nathan wrote:

Nope, I’ve done work for them previously and they made a point of getting that right. When referring to each individual garden the name is singular.

https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/botanicgardens/visit

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3685 Post by Norman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Fun fact: Flexity Trams have "Botanic Garden", Citatis have "Botanic Gardens" on their destination board :?

Also, there will be a live stream on our Facebook page shortly with the new East End section.

rubberman

#3686 Post by rubberman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am
Waewick wrote:
Nathan wrote:

Nope, I’ve done work for them previously and they made a point of getting that right. When referring to each individual garden the name is singular.

Then your head may well explode with at least one Flexity I saw bearing the destination "ROYAL HOSPITAL ADELAIDE"

Nathan

#3687 Post by Nathan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:17 pm

rubberman wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Waewick wrote: It is the Botanic Gardens of Adelaide, but now I'm intrigued.

Then your head may well explode with at least one Flexity I saw bearing the destination "ROYAL HOSPITAL ADELAIDE"
*eye twitch*

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#3688 Post by prometheus2704 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Nathan wrote:
rubberman wrote:
Nathan wrote:

*eye twitch*
What annoys me the most is the naming of the "Art Gallery" stop when the gallery is physically closer to the University stop!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nathan

#3689 Post by Nathan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Anyways, my pedantry on stop names aside, the service is quite good. Went for a ride with my son to the East End (and a sneaky ice cream from Steven ter Horst), then back again with a stop to visit the museum.

Art Gallery stop was quite busy, presumably for Mall access. Frequency seemed quite high and having to wait for a tram never a problem. Coming in there was a Glenelg tram waiting at the RAH stop for easy transfer.

Most people seemed pretty happy with it, other than one group of old people as we approached Entertainment Centre proclaiming it should have been a bus, and going on about people having to wait out in the rain and wind to change trams.

I maintain they’ve made the routes more complicated than they need to, resulting with lots of explanations over the speakers.

rubberman

#3690 Post by rubberman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 pm
Anyways, my pedantry on stop names aside, the service is quite good. Went for a ride with my son to the East End (and a sneaky ice cream from Steven ter Horst), then back again with a stop to visit the museum.

Art Gallery stop was quite busy, presumably for Mall access. Frequency seemed quite high and having to wait for a tram never a problem. Coming in there was a Glenelg tram waiting at the RAH stop for easy transfer.

Most people seemed pretty happy with it, other than one group of old people as we approached Entertainment Centre proclaiming it should have been a bus, and going on about people having to wait out in the rain and wind to change trams.

I maintain they’ve made the routes more complicated than they need to, resulting with lots of explanations over the speakers.
Actually, I was surprised just how busy it was. I did the trip 3 times, and each one dropped off about ten people per stop coming from the Adelaide Railway Station. Considering there was zero publicity, and less than 12 hours notice, imagine the numbers had there been some advertising. Monday morning peak loads from the Adelaide Railway Station with uni students will be interesting to observe.