News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4486 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue May 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Adelaide Metro trams being trialled in the snow of Ploiești.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_uO6xNnczk

I know, I know, that's not literally an Adelaide Flexity, but it looks soooo close in the same livery. A brief amount of internet research has returned nothing on why they chose the same livery as Adelaide, apart from the fact that their city's coat of arms has the same colours: https://www.eurogunzel.com/2018/12/ploi ... -adelaide/ Does anyone know more about this story?

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4487 Post by Nort » Thu May 14, 2020 2:12 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:50 pm

I know, I know, that's not literally an Adelaide Flexity, but it looks soooo close in the same livery. A brief amount of internet research has returned nothing on why they chose the same livery as Adelaide, apart from the fact that their city's coat of arms has the same colours: https://www.eurogunzel.com/2018/12/ploi ... -adelaide/ Does anyone know more about this story?
Yellow, blue, and red are the paint primary colours, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of livery uses them.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#4488 Post by A-Town » Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:12 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Yellow, blue, and red are the paint primary colours, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of livery uses them.
Yes, but the livery is almost identical to ours.

PeFe

#4489 Post by PeFe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:48 am

Adelaide tram painted in indigenous colours

https://www.facebook.com/DPTISA/videos/201379577633682/

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#4490 Post by Haso » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:40 pm

As our transport minister does not like trams maybe during his "home away stay" he will start thinking about something like a new Brisbane fully electric bus. The city of Bern has something like that… (beside trams)

In a nutshell - Contracts awarded for Brisbane’s $1b all-electric Metro bus project and the Metro vehicles will be an Australian-first, using tried and tested European technology that will help future-proof Brisbane’s public transport network. Each vehicle will be 24.4 metres in length and 2.55 metres wide, with the capacity to carry 150 passengers in comfort and 180 passengers in event mode with flash charging in under six minutes at the end of route.

Link to the article and short video - https://thedriven.io/2020/06/09/contra ... -project/
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

claybro

#4491 Post by claybro » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:49 pm

$1 billion dollars seems extreme for what effectively is a bus, trying to be a light rail.

rubberman

#4492 Post by rubberman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:04 pm

It's basically a trolleybus without the overhead wires.

https://images.app.goo.gl/A7GX53ewCtiRHAU49

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4493 Post by SRW » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:41 pm

I don't know if we need these sorts of prototype vehicles, but our bus fleet should start transitioning to all-electric in the next 10 years, particularly the O-Bahn. Aside from the green credentials, the city will be far more pleasant without all the diesel engines thundering around.
Keep Adelaide Weird

PeFe

#4494 Post by PeFe » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 am

Moderators can we please move the bus discussion in this thread to the buses thread ?.....save another thread going totally off topic.

rubberman

#4495 Post by rubberman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 am

PeFe wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 am
Moderators can we please move the bus discussion in this thread to the buses thread ?.....save another thread going totally off topic.
They are trackless trams.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackless_tram

Not trying to troll you here. But they really aren't buses either. So, shouldn't really go to the buses thread.

Maybe a trackless tram subject needs to be started? Trouble is, it's probably likely that it won't have a lot of traffic, so will become lost, and peolle will continue to post in tram or bus threads.

:2cents:

PeFe

#4496 Post by PeFe » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:51 am

Trackless trams are buses.....all guided by technology buses or busways are buses.

No amount of hype will convince me otherwise.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#4497 Post by Haso » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:02 pm

These buses or whatever we will call them or classify, as far as I know are gaining good traction in Europe, particularly in Switzerland. Maybe we can call them – Ebus or Lightram like in Bern. In Switzerland they already running in three cities, and two cities are waiting for their delivery + big interest from another three. Looks like they are here to stay and spread around…not like Stephan Knoll. He is gone.
Last edited by Haso on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#4498 Post by Haso » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Haso wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:02 pm
These buses or whatever we will call them or classify, as far as I know are gaining good traction in Europe, particularly in Switzerland. Maybe we can call them – Ebus or Lightram like in Bern. In Switzerland they already running in three cities, and two cities are waiting for their delivery + big interest from another three. Looks like they are here to stay and spread around…not like Stephan Knoll. He is gone.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#4499 Post by Haso » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Haso wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:36 pm
Haso wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:02 pm
Not sure how this went on. Can admin please remove this post and that one above. Thank you.

PeFe

#4500 Post by PeFe » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:11 pm

Tap and Pay trial for trams.....credit card or app as payment method. No transfers allowed to trains or buses.

From Adelaide Metro
Tap and pay on trams

Introducing more ways to tap and pay on Adelaide trams
Below you can find more information on:

An easy new way to pay
Available on Adelaide trams
How does it work?
Who is it for?
FAQs
An easy new way to pay
Don’t have a metroCARD or Seniors Card?

From late September 2020, you can tap and pay for your trip with your Visa, Mastercard or (enabled) smart device on all Adelaide Metro trams.

This convenient new option enables you to pay and validate your fare in one quick, easy, contactless transaction – without a lot of forward planning.

Available on Adelaide trams
We’re introducing this new tap-and-pay option on our trams first, as step one of a staged upgrade of our ticketing system. The upgrade will help us make public transport simpler, safer and easier to use and bring Adelaide up to date with other capital cities across the world.

The tram pilot starts in late September 2020.

How does it work?
Just tap/wave your Visa, Mastercard or (enabled) smart device on the new validator at the centre doors when you board your tram. When the validator screen confirms that the transaction was successful:

your account will be charged for one regular metroCARD fare (peak $3.84 or interpeak $2.11)
your credit/debit card will be your proof of purchase: if an inspector asks to see your ticket, you can provide the last four digits of your credit card as verification.
your fare will be valid for two hours (just like a regular MetroTicket). During this time you can transfer from tram to tram free of charge: just tap the same credit card again as you board your next tram. The system will recognise that you’ve already paid and will not charge you again.

Who is it for?
This new tap-and-pay option is ideal for people who:

don’t have a metroCARD or Seniors Card
don’t take the tram very often
would like try taking the tram but haven’t yet bought a metroCARD
might ordinarily buy a single regular MetroTicket
have a tap-and-pay-enabled Visa, Mastercard or smart device.
Remember, at this stage, the new tap-and-pay option:

is only available on trams: you won’t be able to transfer free of charge within two hours to other modes (buses or train) or access the Tea Tree Plaza Car Park
is cheaper than a regular MetroTicket, but doesn’t enable you to buy a concession fare.
If you already have a metroCARD, Seniors Card or a 14-Day or 28-Day Pass, you are best off continuing to use it – especially if you usually pay a concession fare.

To see which fare options offer you the best value, check our full range of Tickets & Fares or call the Adelaide Metro InfoLine on 1300 311 108 (7am to 8pm every day).

FAQS
What type of credit or debit cards can I use?

You can use your Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card regardless of which bank you bank with, as long as it has the tap-and-pay function.

At this stage we cannot accept American Express (AMEX). Our range of accepted cards may expand as we continue with our ticketing upgrade.

Can I use my mobile phone or wearable device to pay?

Yes. You can use any mobile or wearable device that is linked to your Visa or Mastercard account with a tap-and-pay app (eg, Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay etc).

What will I be charged?

Your account will be charged for one regular metroCARD fare (peak $3.84 or interpeak $2.11). This is considerably cheaper than a single regular MetroTicket (peak $5.70 or interpeak $3.80).

You will not be charged any banking fees for this transaction.

How do I prove I’ve paid for and validated my tram trip?

If an inspector asks to see your ticket, you will just need to provide the last four digits of your credit card. The inspector can verify your fare with that information. Your privacy is protected during this process: the inspector cannot see the rest of your credit card number, your name or any other personal details.

The payment will be listed in your bank statement.

Can I transfer to another public transport service within two hours, free of charge?

At this stage you can transfer, free of charge, from tram to tram within two hours of paying your fare. You will not be able to transfer to buses or trains because they do not yet have the new validators.

If you need to transfer from a tram to a bus or train, another fare option could offer better value. Explore our full range of Tickets & Fares or call the Adelaide Metro InfoLine 1300 311 108 (7am to 8pm every day).

Can I still use my metroCARD or Seniors Card?

Yes. This new tap-and-pay option doesn’t replace your metroCARD or Seniors Card: it’s just an additional way for people to pay and validate their fare. It will make catching the tram easier for people who don’t have a metroCARD, Seniors Card or a 14-Day or 28-Day Pass.

If you have a metroCARD, Seniors Card or a 14-Day or 28-Day Pass, ignore the new validator and just keep validating your trips the way you usually do.

Will this affect my metroCARD or Seniors Card balance?

No. This is a completely separate system.

Can I get a concession using this tap-and-pay option?

No. If you choose this tap-and-pay option, you will be charged the same amount as a regular metroCARD fare (peak $3.84 or interpeak $2.11).

If you are eligible for a concession, this is probably not the best option for you.

To see which fare options offer you the best value, check our full range of Tickets & Fares or call the Adelaide Metro InfoLine 1300 311 108 (7am to 8pm every day).

Which validator do I use now?

If you have a metroCARD, Seniors Card or MetroTicket, just continue to use our regular validators. These cards and tickets will not work on the new validator.

If you’d like to tap and pay with your Visa, Mastercard or (enabled) smart device, use the new validator, located at each tram’s centre doors. The new validator has a larger digital screen that displays your card validation results when you tap.

Where else is this system used?

People now have the option to use a credit/debit card to pay for public transport in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth and in a growing number of overseas cities including London, New York and Singapore.

Will my credit information be secure?

It will be completely secure, just like all other credit/debit card tap-and-pay systems.

Will I activate the validator by standing near it on a crowded tram?

No. This is no more likely to happen on the tram as it is in a shop or café.

However, if you believe you have been accidentally charged for a fare, you can contact us at the Adelaide Metro InfoLine 1300 311 108 (7am to 8pm every day) for prompt action.

What if I don’t have a credit/debit card?

If you don’t have a credit/debit card, there is a great range of other fare options available.

To see which fare options offer you the best value, check our full range of Tickets & Fares or call the Adelaide Metro InfoLine 1300 311 108 (7am to 8pm every day) for advice.

What should I do if I experience problems?

Check you’re using the right validator. At this stage we have one new validator on each tram (at the centre doors). This is the only validator that can read your Visa, Mastercard or (enabled) smart device.
Check whether there’s a problem with your Visa, Mastercard or smart device. Is it tap-and-pay enabled? Does it have the tap-and-pay symbol? Do you use it to tap and pay for other things (eg, in shops or restaurants)? Do you have enough money available in your account? You may wish to contact your bank and check.
Contact us via the Adelaide Metro InfoLine 1300 311 108 (7am to 8pm every day) and let us know what happened. We are happy to help.
You’ll find more Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on our FAQs page.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Ticket ... y-on-trams