[COM] Bald Hills Road Interchange

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Bald Hills Road Interchange

#1 Post by rhino » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:11 pm

The Bald Hills Road Interchange with the South Eastern Freeway has finally been announced! Great news for me!

Fly-through available here (not sure how to embed it):

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 6990157736

TRAVEL times for Adelaide Hills motorists will be slashed by up ten minutes when a new freeway interchange at Mt Barker is completed.

Work will begin on the $27 million infrastructure project by November and is expected to be completed in mid-2016, according to plans to be released by the federal and state governments.

The plans include the first images and a computer-generated “drive through’’ of the interchange.

A new roundabout will also be built at the Old Princes Highway to complement the project, which includes a new South East Freeway interchange built at Bald Hills Road to reduce traffic congestion in the rapidly growing Mt Barker region.

The Commonwealth will provide $16 million to build the interchange, while the State Government will contribute $8 million and the Mt Barker Council a further $3 million.

The interchange is expected to carry up to 8000 vehicles a day.

Assistant Minister for Infrastructure and local Federal MP Jamie Briggs said productivity and road safety would also be improved by the multi-million project, which was promised by both major parties in the lead up to this year’s state election.

“The interchange will reduce traffic congestion through Littlehampton and Mt Barker, meaning motorists will spend less time stuck in traffic and more time being productive at work or at home with their families,” Mr Briggs said.

“The first stage of works will involve the construction of an off-ramp and an on-ramp to and from Adelaide to support the high volume of commuter traffic during peak periods.’’

State Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the new interchange and upgrade to the Old Princes Highway and Bald Hills Road junction will be constructed over two years.

“These important works are going to make a noticeable improvement in safety and travel times for commuters as well as visitors and tourists travelling through the area,’’ he said.

“Early works including service relocation are expected to begin before the end of 2014 and major

works starting at the Adelaide-bound ramp will be done during the 2014/2015 summer.’’

Mt Barker mayor Ann Ferguson said the new interchange would allow some motorists to avoid driving through Mt Barker to access the freeway and “would take off five to ten minutes travelling time — or more — depending on the time of day’’.

“We have a growing population and this project will facilitate our community to be able to move about more easily which will be wonderful.’’

Meanwhile, work is beginning on another major infrastructure project to build a tunnel for the O-Bahn bus service at Hackney. Road users have been warned to expect traffic delays this month as survey work begins on the $160 million job.

The Transport Department is urging road users to follow the directions of the traffic control staff and all construction and detour signs. Work will occur at night, weekends and outside peak times to minimise inconvenience to commuters, the department said.
cheers,
Rhino

mshagg
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Mt Barker / Nairne freeway interchange

#2 Post by mshagg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Been a long time since i drove in mt barker during peak hour but must be pretty crazy these days.

Bald Hills Rd also serves littlehampton/nairne pretty well... been a fair amount of growth in those parts, too (young families who are strongly devoted to motor vehicle transport lol).

Dont suppose they've thought about throwing some money at public transport options out that way?

ChillyPhilly

#3 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:49 pm

mshagg wrote:Been a long time since i drove in mt barker during peak hour but must be pretty crazy these days.

Bald Hills Rd also serves littlehampton/nairne pretty well... been a fair amount of growth in those parts, too (young families who are strongly devoted to motor vehicle transport lol).

Dont suppose they've thought about throwing some money at public transport options out that way?
Sadly no. But as the article points out, $160 million is being poorly spent on saving a miniscule four minutes for O-Bahn passengers.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:02 pm

They just opened a massive new Park and Ride at Dumas Street, can't say that nothing is being done!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Which is the second Park and Ride in Mt Barker.

Compared to other places it's size, Mt Barker has been well looked after.

rhino

#6 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:04 am

The Hills are actually served quite well by public transport. It's all busses, but given the round-about route of the railway, to reach the hills, busses are much quicker and make more sense. Frequency is pretty good these days too.

Having said all that, this new freeway interchange is still going to save time, as a lot of people use the park and rides, and this new interchange will help with that.
cheers,
Rhino

ChillyPhilly

#7 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:04 am

rhino wrote:The Hills are actually served quite well by public transport. It's all busses, but given the round-about route of the railway, to reach the hills, busses are much quicker and make more sense. Frequency is pretty good these days too.

Having said all that, this new freeway interchange is still going to save time, as a lot of people use the park and rides, and this new interchange will help with that.
Rail to Mt Barker is a no-go for sure. I used to be in favour of the idea but unless a new route is built from scratch, it's just not feasible. Maybe one day, who knows.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54 am

The SE Fwy really needs a motorway service centre. There's no servo between Glen Osmond and Talem Bend.

SBD

#9 Post by SBD » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:29 pm

AtD wrote:The SE Fwy really needs a motorway service centre. There's no servo between Glen Osmond and Talem Bend.
I Guess OTR/Peregrine hasn't seen enough demand yet. Not sure if anyone else would be likely to try to build one in SA. Who runs them interstate?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by neoballmon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 pm

I know the ones just outside of Ballarat are BP, on both sides of the road, with a McDonalds and KFC incorporated.

I also recall going to a 7/11, can't remember where exactly that was.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 pm

neoballmon wrote:I know the ones just outside of Ballarat are BP, on both sides of the road, with a McDonalds and KFC incorporated.

I also recall going to a 7/11, can't remember where exactly that was.
The 7/11's are on the Western Ring Road

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 pm

AtD wrote:The SE Fwy really needs a motorway service centre. There's no servo between Glen Osmond and Talem Bend.
I'm surprised the Peregrine Group haven't jumped on this yet.

Though I guess the terrain is very hilly and quite restricted.

Aidan

#13 Post by Aidan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:30 pm

crawf wrote:
I'm surprised the Peregrine Group haven't jumped on this yet.

Though I guess the terrain is very hilly and quite restricted.
Once it reaches Callington it's a lot flatter. And Callington's the best place to put it IMO.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by Hybrid » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 am

OTR is being built next to bunnings in Mt Barker as we speak. Apparently designed for trucks.

So prob the cloest thing to freeway service centre we will get.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by mshagg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

It's only 90km from Mt Osmond to Talem Bend so not really an issue for cars, but the last fuel stop for trucks would be somewhere on the A1 north of the city?