[COM] Torrens Junction Underpass

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Torrens Junction Underpass

#16 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Norman wrote:Regarding the trench, it is not possible to make this a tunnel at this stage as diesel trains will be using the trench. One day hopefully it will be covered when the line is electrified, but for now it will remain a trench.
Nothing to do with diesel trains. I'm told it is entirely down to cost. The money given by the feds covers the grade separation, and nothing more. The state government would have to start digging cash out of their own pockets to enclose it, and they're not going to.

I do wonder where the parklands protesters are though. A covered tunnel for the O-Bahn has them completely up in arms, but a trench through Bonython park, and they haven't let off so much as a peep.

Llessur2002

#17 Post by Llessur2002 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Nathan wrote:I do wonder where the parklands protesters are though. A covered tunnel for the O-Bahn has them completely up in arms, but a trench through Bonython park, and they haven't let off so much as a peep.
Because it's too far to walk to Bonython park from North Adelaide.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by ml69 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Nathan wrote:I do wonder where the parklands protesters are though. A covered tunnel for the O-Bahn has them completely up in arms, but a trench through Bonython park, and they haven't let off so much as a peep.
Because at the moment the train line is at-grade through Bonython Park, anything else would surely be an improvement on that.

claybro

#19 Post by claybro » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Because Anne Moran plans to fill the trench with water and turn it into a moat protecting North Adelaide from the peasants in the west.

Nathan

#20 Post by Nathan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:50 pm

ml69 wrote:
Because at the moment the train line is at-grade through Bonython Park, anything else would surely be an improvement on that.
Not really sure how it would be an improvement for the park. It certainly won't allow for additional crossing points for people using the park, and will take up more space than the current at grade line.

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Thunderstruck » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:54 pm

The best thing about this is that it will get rid of that bloody level crossing on Park Terrace so that in itself is a big win for mine.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#22 Post by rev » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:19 pm

rubberman wrote:
Waewick wrote:
rubberman wrote:This is a lot of money to spend. Is there a real problem with congestion at this point?

The money spent could do a lot of other things.
There is always something else to spend money on.
Yep, agree 100%.

And there's never enough money to spend on things people want. Hence the question: Is this the best investment of the money, or is there something else that would give a better bang for the buck?

I have no doubt whatsoever that it will provide benefits, but could that same money be spent better elsewhere? Or is that our top priority? Accelerating South Road upgrades, trams, electrification of Gawler line? Higher or lower priority?

I have no fixed opinion, if there's nothing better to spend the money on, sounds good to go. However, if there's higher priority stuff to do, let's do that instead.

Did anyone do a benefit cost?
What, didn't you get the memo last week to send through your expert cost benefit analysis?

Seriously must South Australians have a whinge about everything even when something positive and productive is being done that's a benefit to the state and nation? Christ all mighty.

Just like I told the whingers about south road go take a drive through the area, try catch a freight train going through and see how badly needed this is.
Not only should this be done ASAP, they should also be doing the Torrens road crossing, but this should have been done years ago!

Sorry but anyone who disagrees obviously isn't right in the head.

rubberman

#23 Post by rubberman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:39 pm

rev wrote:
rubberman wrote:This is a lot of money to spend. Is there a real problem with congestion at this point?

(Snip)

And there's never enough money to spend on things people want. Hence the question: Is this the best investment of the money, or is there something else that would give a better bang for the buck?

I have no doubt whatsoever that it will provide benefits, but could that same money be spent better elsewhere? Or is that our top priority? Accelerating South Road upgrades, trams, electrification of Gawler line? Higher or lower priority?

I have no fixed opinion, if there's nothing better to spend the money on, sounds good to go. However, if there's higher priority stuff to do, let's do that instead.

What, didn't you get the memo last week to send through your expert cost benefit analysis?

Seriously must South Australians have a whinge about everything even when something positive and productive is being done that's a benefit to the state and nation? Christ all mighty.

Just like I told the whingers about south road go take a drive through the area, try catch a freight train going through and see how badly needed this is.
Not only should this be done ASAP, they should also be doing the Torrens road crossing, but this should have been done years ago!

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? :banana:

Well naturally if You want it, it must obviously be the excellentest project. :lol:

claybro

#24 Post by claybro » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:55 pm

rubberman wrote:Well naturally if You want it, it must obviously be the excellentest project.
Have to agree with Rev here, even if not the tone of the post. This project resolves so many issues to the inner northwest road network, and the freight network, all using a huge chunk of federal money, I'm surprised at any backlash. Time savings on freight and lengthening of freight trains alone will be enormous over time- not to mention time saved by Adelaide road commuters. Freight trains are often blocking Hawker st and Torrens road level crossings while they are stalled waiting for a 2 car OH train to trundle past.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 pm

rubberman wrote:
rev wrote:

(Snip)

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? :banana:

Well naturally if You want it, it must obviously be the excellentest project. :lol:
Rev has a point, this railway crossing is a complete shambles in peak hour and dangerous for motorists. It's long overdue and needed.

Bowden Station... well we all know the state of that.

rubberman

#26 Post by rubberman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:14 am

I wish that people (I'm looking at you, rev) would read and comprehend posts before commenting on them.

I have no doubt that this is a wonderfully excellent project. I never said or implied that it wasn't.

What I did ask is whether or not it is our highest priority. There's quite a difference between that and saying it's not worth while.

I really blame teachers for the decline in English comprehension. :lol:

I was responding to Waewick's point about there always being something to spend money on. That then led to asking whether this project, as worthy and stunningly teriffic as it is, has a higher priority than a whole lot of other projects. Next time I hear someone whinge about why it's taking so long to get round to their favorite project, I guess I can refer them here. :)

Waewick

#27 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:13 am

rubberman wrote:I wish that people (I'm looking at you, rev) would read and comprehend posts before commenting on them.

I have no doubt that this is a wonderfully excellent project. I never said or implied that it wasn't.

What I did ask is whether or not it is our highest priority. There's quite a difference between that and saying it's not worth while.

I was responding to Waewick's point about there always being something to spend money on. That then led to asking whether this project, as worthy and stunningly teriffic as it is, has a higher priority than a whole lot of other projects. Next time I hear someone whinge about why it's taking so long to get round to their favorite project, I guess I can refer them here. :)
I understand what you meant.

for me, the electrification of the rail line should be the no.1 priority, but I guess when the feds throw cash at a specific project then its would be a difficult arguement to say no (similar to the Oaklands overpass)

for the sale of the ring route this will be a good one and one I will use a lot more often once completed.

Nathan

#28 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:38 pm

One little nugget for you though - It won't eliminate a set of lights. Once the grade separation is done, a signalised pedestrian crossing is likely to be installed half way between Fourth St and Fifth St. (An unsignalised crossing was installed as part of the recent widening — not signalised initially because two sets of lights was deemed too much.)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#29 Post by rev » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm

rubberman wrote:I wish that people (I'm looking at you, rev) would read and comprehend posts before commenting on them.

I'm just adding a bit of spice to the place mate I know what you meant.
Nothing personal and I wasn't saying you weren't right in the head, just a general comment.
But had I said that and been clearer, well where's the fun in that?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Nathan wrote:One little nugget for you though - It won't eliminate a set of lights. Once the grade separation is done, a signalised pedestrian crossing is likely to be installed half way between Fourth St and Fifth St. (An unsignalised crossing was installed as part of the recent widening — not signalised initially because two sets of lights was deemed too much.)
Hmm... is there still plans for the pedestrian overpass?