[VIS] Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[VIS] Re: Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

#106 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:30 am

kymbosa wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:28 am
[...]

Here’s my video of the day! Comments, feedback would be great.

https://youtu.be/vE01V0vfHls

Cheers.
Nice video. Perhaps a little more of your arrival in Melbourne. Unless the battery was dead. Thanks for posting I enjoyed it.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#107 Post by kymbosa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:36 am

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:30 am
kymbosa wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:28 am
[...]

Here’s my video of the day! Comments, feedback would be great.

https://youtu.be/vE01V0vfHls

Cheers.
Nice video. Perhaps a little more of your arrival in Melbourne. Unless the battery was dead. Thanks for posting I enjoyed it.

Cheers
Cheers mate.

Problem was it was too dark when we arrived in Melbourne and the footage didn’t work. So my end piece didn’t make the cut.

Had the wrong settings on the camera 🤦‍♂️

ChillyPhilly

#108 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 pm

Thought: maybe we should stop thinking about ARS as a destination for interstate rail, and instead shift our thoughts to a new station elsewhere in the CBD, such as beneath the Central Market?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Aidan

#109 Post by Aidan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:22 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Thought: maybe we should stop thinking about ARS as a destination for interstate rail, and instead shift our thoughts to a new station elsewhere in the CBD, such as beneath the Central Market?
I don't think the huge expense of an underground station for interstate trains can be justified... until we start building a high speed line to Melbourne.

For our existing interstate trains I think we should take the opposite approach: next to Keswick Terminal (or whatever it's called now) build a CBD overflow area (like Docklands or Southbank) linked by underground rail to the existing CBD.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#110 Post by Eurostar » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:14 pm

The Indian Pacific and The Ghan should look at creating connections points whereby people coming in to SA can get off say Virginia, Two Wells or Mawson Lakes and travel to prime tourist areas like the Barossa by coach. The Overland as I kinda mentioned earlier should stop at a new station (old Balhannah) or Nairne and travel around the Adelaide Hills towns by coach or with the existing 837 and 841 (which goes via Hahndorf if I recall). I've been to NSW many times and don't get why GSR doesnt have stops in the suburban Adelaide area.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[VIS] [VIS] Re: [VIS] Re: Interstate Trains at Adelaide Railway Station

#111 Post by Norman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:49 am

Aidan wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Thought: maybe we should stop thinking about ARS as a destination for interstate rail, and instead shift our thoughts to a new station elsewhere in the CBD, such as beneath the Central Market?
I don't think the huge expense of an underground station for interstate trains can be justified... until we start building a high speed line to Melbourne.

For our existing interstate trains I think we should take the opposite approach: next to Keswick Terminal (or whatever it's called now) build a CBD overflow area (like Docklands or Southbank) linked by underground rail to the existing CBD.
You might want to re-read that post, I think you misinterpreted it. I think he meant that suburban trains should have another station in the CBD, and that should be the priority instead of interstate trains.
Eurostar wrote:The Indian Pacific and The Ghan should look at creating connections points whereby people coming in to SA can get off say Virginia, Two Wells or Mawson Lakes and travel to prime tourist areas like the Barossa by coach. The Overland as I kinda mentioned earlier should stop at a new station (old Balhannah) or Nairne and travel around the Adelaide Hills towns by coach or with the existing 837 and 841 (which goes via Hahndorf if I recall). I've been to NSW many times and don't get why GSR doesnt have stops in the suburban Adelaide area.
Because GSR/Journey Beyond are interested in providing a tourism service, not a public transport service.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#112 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:01 am

I meant that GSR's The Indian Pacific and The Ghan should stop at Virginia and have coaches that take customers to the Barossa Valley whereby they will bring in tourist dollars in to one of our state's tourist regions. Who knows with a boost in train passenger numbers they may be able to put on more trains.

As for The Overland should stop at Nairne/Balhannah and have coaches that take customers to the Adelaide Hills and Fluerieu. I am sure if GSR talk to Steamranger they could get a special group rate for a tour of the Mount Barker train depot and special group rate for a train ride to the Fleurieu. Maybe daresay explore reopening Aldgate Railway Station where GSR customers will have a short walk to Aldgate town centre and the existing 864 bus service which gives them cheap and regular transport to Stirling, Bridgewater, Hahndorf and Mount Barker.

In my opinion if GSR keep doing the status quo why should the Victorians keep bailing it out when on the South Australia side of the route it only stops at Bordertown, Murray Bridge and Adelaide.

This idea might be a bit out there but imagine a new train service (run by a private operator or public sector) from Adelaide to Melbourne via a new track running alongside the Northern Expressway and Sturt Highway from Penfield to Mildura via Nuriootpa, Renmark. Then Down to Melbourne via existing tracks. A name I thought off the top of my head is... The Murray Riverlander or The Sunraysia.

ChillyPhilly

#113 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm

I'll rephrase my earlier post.

We'd all love to see interstate passenger services terminate and depart from Adelaide Railway Station. But this horse has probably bolted due to the development west of Morphett Street: SAHMRI, NRAH, etc.

Maybe we should consider a new station in the CBD (e.g. beneath the Central Market) - such as one that's part of a future CBD loop - and this new station could be one interstate rail can utilise.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#114 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:12 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm

We'd all love to see interstate passenger services terminate and depart from Adelaide Railway Station. But this horse has probably bolted due to the development west of Morphett Street: SAHMRI, NRAH, etc.

Maybe we should consider a new station in the CBD (e.g. beneath the Central Market) - such as one that's part of a future CBD loop - and this new station could be one interstate rail can utilise.
If we have a underground subway loop that'll free up a platform or two for intercity rail services

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#115 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm

So you want an underground CBD station for interstate trains? What fantasy realm do you live in?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

ChillyPhilly

#116 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:40 pm

No, one that can be shared. But as said above, a City Loop could open up ARS to make it more feasible.

SBD

#117 Post by SBD » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:40 pm
No, one that can be shared. But as said above, a City Loop could open up ARS to make it more feasible.
A plan like that would add cost to the entire project. As it stands now, an underground loop could be built only for electric rail cars. Adding intercity trains would require sufficient ventilation for diesel locomotives. Adelaide Station already has sufficient ventilation for idling Diesel engines.

Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane have intercity stations on the edge of the city, but also served by metro rail cars and both local and distant buses somewhere nearby.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#118 Post by ml69 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:59 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Make ARS for feasible for what? If we build an underground CBD loop, ARS as it currently stands is all but redundant!

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#119 Post by Spotto » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:59 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Make ARS for feasible for what? If we build an underground CBD loop, ARS as it currently stands is all but redundant!
The solution should NOT be a rail loop which will only get congested in under a few decades time (see Melbourne and Sydney). The best solution which has been suggested in the past is an underground rail link between the Gawler and Seaford Lines. Think Melbourne Metro Tunnel or the underground link between Perth’s Joondalup and Mandurah Lines.

The majority of Gawler and Seaford services (except a few peak services) can then avoid long layovers at ARS and run direct between each other. Freeing up capacity for the Flinders, Belair and Outer Harbor Lines, and if it ever came to it, regional/interstate services.

Even if all of this were to happen it’s highly unlikely that The Overland would reroute to ARS if still run by Journey Beyond. Parklands Terminal gives JB freedom of movement when shifting stock and preparing trains. The Ghan and Indian Pacific will likewise NEVER return to ARS, they’re too enormously long, they’re tourist holidays not actual transport which need extra preparation that today’s much smaller ARS simply would never have capacity for.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#120 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 am

Spotto wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 pm
ml69 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:59 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
The solution should NOT be a rail loop which will only get congested in under a few decades time (see Melbourne and Sydney). The best solution which has been suggested in the past is an underground rail link between the Gawler and Seaford Lines. Think Melbourne Metro Tunnel or the underground link between Perth’s Joondalup and Mandurah Lines.

The majority of Gawler and Seaford services (except a few peak services) can then avoid long layovers at ARS and run direct between each other. Freeing up capacity for the Flinders, Belair and Outer Harbor Lines, and if it ever came to it, regional/interstate services.

Even if all of this were to happen it’s highly unlikely that The Overland would reroute to ARS if still run by Journey Beyond. Parklands Terminal gives JB freedom of movement when shifting stock and preparing trains. The Ghan and Indian Pacific will likewise NEVER return to ARS, they’re too enormously long, they’re tourist holidays not actual transport which need extra preparation that today’s much smaller ARS simply would never have capacity for.
The Indian Pacific is divided into two in Sydney, the same could be done at Adelaide (if some of the the suburban trains go underground.)