[COM] Adelaide Airport T1 Terminal | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bigsim
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #Completed : Adelaide Airport

#421 Post by bigsim » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:33 am

Does Anyone know when the A380 Airbus will next be visiting Adelaide ??

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#422 Post by Wayno » Mon May 04, 2009 12:06 pm

slightly off topic, but did anyone see the huge flames and plumes of black smoke coming from Adelaide airport ~40mins ago? i was driving past and it appeared massive! in the smoke i thought i saw the tail of an aircraft...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#423 Post by rogue » Mon May 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Were they doing fire training with the old aircraft shell they have there?

sacred_june
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#424 Post by sacred_june » Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 am

i flew into adelaide this weekend and my girlfriend noticed the little teddy-bear sitting on the chair next to the runway (which i have noticed many times before) and asked me what it's doing there.
i said something along the lines of watching the planes land and making sure everyone onboard is safe, and she wanted me to find out its history.

can anyone enlighten me?

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#425 Post by mooshie » Tue May 12, 2009 8:55 pm

I asked that same question 2 years ago and to date have not been able to find an answer.
sometimes they dress him up, like with a Santa hat at Christmas and a beer and flag for Australia day.

good stuff.

sacred_june
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#426 Post by sacred_june » Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 am

ive noticed they dress him up on occasions too, but i wonder what his history is...

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#427 Post by bm7500 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:53 pm

I believe the story is that the large Teddy was left behind at the Airport some years ago (would be nearly 10 now) and he along with his suitcase were never collected.

The airport staff located him airside and he is said to be waiting there for his owners to pick him up, but he has essentially been adopted now. The airport staff have even given him a name.

When special events are on, he usually gets dressed up for the occasion and he is constantly being moved to different vantage points around the runways.

He has been there that long that the airport staff had to give him a 'facelift' a year or so ago. After all, constantly being blasted by jets would have to take its toll on you! hehe
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#428 Post by crawf » Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 pm

How cute. :)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#429 Post by Wayno » Wed May 13, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm surprised the 'authorities' have not asked for Mr T. Bear to be removed from view. Imagine the liability if AAL was deemed to be the responsible for even a minor accident/incident triggered by a wayward pilot getting excited about seeing the teddy bear.

Am i being paranoid - yes i am. i need a holiday...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#430 Post by bm7500 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Wayno wrote:
Am i being paranoid - yes i am. i need a holiday...
And im sure Teddy will be there to wave you off :)
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#431 Post by rogue » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 pm

I've always been looking for it and finally saw it 2 weeks ago when returning from NZ. He was wearing a firemans outfit and located adjacent the catering facility.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#432 Post by frank1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Adelaide wins with airlines' new routes

Article from: NEWS.com.au

ANGELA SAURINE, TRAVEL REPORTER

July 30, 2009 02:30pm

AIRLINES are bombarding the domestic market with new routes and extra services - and Adelaide travellers are set to reap the benefits of the increased competition.

Tiger Airways will kick off its new route flying from Sydney to Adelaide tomorrow, with fares starting at $39.

Jetstar, which currently offers fares on the same route for $89, has vowed to beat prices by 10 per cent if a passenger finds an airfare with another airline online at a similar date or time.

Jetstar yesterday announced it will begin flying between Sydney and Perth daily from October, with launch offers starting at $99.

The airline is also increasing capacity between Sydney and Darwin, doubling the number of flights from five to ten weekly.

Singapore-based budget airline Tiger has been forced to double capacity on its new $39 daily services between Melbourne and Sydney, which launched earlier this month.

A Tiger spokeswoman said planes had been consistently full during the first few weeks of operation and frequency would double from October 4 when its new aircraft arrives.

Pre-sales for the Sydney to Adelaide service have also been so strong it will increase the number of flights from one to two daily from early October.

Virgin Blue also introduced a new route offering $165 fares one way from Sydney to Hamilton Island early this month, and will launch a new service from Perth to Port Hedland in Western Australia next week.

Pacific Blue is also offering new trans-Tasman flights from Sydney to Queenstown, Brisbane to Dunedin and Sydney to Hamilton in New Zealand in September.

Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said the idea that less people travel domestically during a downturn was a misnomer.

”People are travelling by air more than ever before within Australia,” he said.

”As the economic conditions turn you're likely to see more people travel by air.”

Mr Westaway seemed unperturbed by Tiger's aggressive approach.

”They have a handful of aircraft in the Australian market,” he said.

”We have 43 airlines currently and are looking at expanding that quite significantly.

”We are taking on at least 60 more aircraft in the next five years.

New government figures show Jetstar has become the second largest carrier operating in Australia, beating Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand.

It captured nine per cent of the international market in May, up from six per cent in the same month last year.

Despite its share dropping from 26 per cent to 24 per cent, Qantas was still number one in the international market.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#433 Post by Omicron » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:03 am

That sounds nice. Mind you, if I book to Sydney with Tiger for Wednesday at 9, chances are I'll be flying next April on Sunday at 3 and landing at Avalon.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#434 Post by Pistol » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:00 pm

Tiger aren't that bad.
I used them last week to fly down to Hobart and there was nothing wrong with them. On time with good service (well as good a service as you expect from a LCC).
You just listening to all the rhetoric.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#435 Post by Shuz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:05 pm

After my recent flights to and from Melbourne. Tiger are absolutely shit. I will never fly with them again.