[COM] Adelaide Airport T1 Terminal | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#31 Post by ReallyBad » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:12 pm

Not that anyone would be overly interested - but just found out my parents will be on the first flight into the new terminal - returning from Europe.

Looking forward to picking them up. :D

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#32 Post by sam » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:50 am

ReallyBad wrote:Looking forward to picking them up.
Lucky!

My sister comes back from Europe a week before the new terminal opens, but I'll probably still go on the opening day anyway!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#33 Post by Will » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:03 pm

After years of talks, delays and the Ansett colapse, it is really great to see that our new first class airport will finally open. The airport will be officially opened tomorrow by the Prime Minister, and the terminal will be open for public inspection this weekend.

tayser
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#34 Post by tayser » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:00 pm

AFR
Adelaide reaches for sky
Ben Sandilands
6 October 2005

Adelaide could now attract events organisers and backpackers alike, Ben Sandilands writes.

Adelaide has Australia's newest and longest airline terminal from next week, and that has potentially big consequences for the corporate events game.

Emirates is seriously contemplating using the South Australian capital for low-cost flights from Europe. It has a 650-seat configuration in its giant Airbus A380s.

It has unlimited access to Adelaide as a result of the federal government's aviation reforms, and has declared that it will use the cost efficiency of its fleet of 45 of the super-sized Airbuses to stimulate growth into every port on its network not just Sydney, Melbourne or London. "The consequences for Adelaide would be extraordinary," says the chairman of Axis Travel, Max Najar.

"Not only could the backpackers start or end their itineraries in South Australia before going on to the Great Ocean Road and all the way up to Queensland or into the Red Centre, but the economics of large events for overseas visitors in a desirable but otherwise out of the way part of the country will be made much more attractive."

The fact that Adelaide at last has a "real" first-world airport is seen as a major stimulus to travel to South Australia. The terminal is 750 metres long and is as smart and passenger-friendly a gateway as any you will find in far larger cities.

Virgin Blue's chief executive officer, Brett Godfrey, says all it will take now is for a minor extension to the runway at Port Lincoln for it to fly its 737s the short hop across to the town.

This will make it easy for visitors to experience a major new area of a state marooned by long, indirect road access and costly air services in small planes.

South Australia already has its major Adelaide Convention Centre in operation, as well as wine tourism and eco-tourism sites that can host smaller meetings.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#35 Post by ReallyBad » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:25 pm

New Adelaide airport attracts Air NZ services

Air New Zealand will launch direct services between Adelaide and Auckland from March next year.

Air NZ will be the first new carrier to establish services at the new $260 million Adelaide airport terminal which is to officially open tomorrow.

Three direct Adelaide-Auckland services a week will operate on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays from March 26, 2006.

The new service will connect with Air NZ flights from Auckland to Los Angeles and San Francisco, creating one of the shortest travel times for customers between Adelaide and the USA.

South Australian Premier Mike Rann said Air NZ’s decision to include Adelaide on its flight schedule highlighted the pulling power of the city’s new-look airport.

“We look forward to greeting some 21,000 additional international visitors to South Australia from March next year,â€

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#36 Post by AG » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:03 am

FIRST CLASS: Salute to our golden gateway
By JESSICA HURT, PAUL STARICK and STUART INNES
08oct05
SOUTH Australia can now well and truly take its place on the world stage.

The lavish $260 million airport terminal has been officially opened, at last providing a state of the art facility to millions of tourists and business travellers each year.

Prime Minister John Howard became the terminal's first official arrival yesterday, when his RAAF VIP jet docked at one of the new aerobridges about 11.20am.

And this weekend up to 200,000 people are expected to bus in to the airport as the doors of the terminal are finally flung open for viewing by the public.

Mr Howard and Premier Mike Rann conducted the official opening ceremony in the arrival and departure area, before attending a gala lunch.

"It's a wonderful facility and I think it will add enormous value to the economy of South Australia," Mr Howard told the lunch guests.

"It will add enormous value to the cultural and other life of South Australia.

"It will strengthen its links with the rest of the world."

Mr Rann said the new airport terminal would be an invaluable "welcoming doormat for people coming to our state".

"I guess for decades we've always been incredibly proud of Adelaide and proud of our state but a little embarrassed by our airport," he said.

". . . I just think that this is the first-class airport, a world-class airport, that a great city like Adelaide deserves," he said.

Industry leaders also hailed the forthcoming move from a tired and dilapidated facility to the new terminal, to which travellers will have all-weather access for the first time in the airport's 50-year history through the 14 aerobridges.

Mr Howard and Mr Rann were among 500 guests at the lunch in the terminal's departure hall. Other guests included Adelaide astronaut Andy Thomas, in whose honour an approach road to the terminal has been named.

Air New Zealand's Australian general manager Michael Reed, whose airline on Wednesday announced it would introduce direct flights to Auckland from the new terminal, said it was "absolutely amazing".

About 50 minutes before Mr Howard's arrival, 200 construction workers held an unofficial ribbon-cutting ceremony at one of the terminal's entrances.

They were protesting about their exclusion from the official ceremonies and campaigning against the Federal Government's proposed industrial relations reforms. In his address to the official lunch, Mr Howard praised the workers, Adelaide Airport, and contractors who had helped build the terminal on time and on budget.

". . . It's increasingly and overwhelmingly now the Australian way to complete these things on time and on budget," he said.

"That produces an outcome that brings enormous benefits."

State Opposition Leader Rob Kerin said the former Liberal government had taken "the first steps" to develop the new terminal. "There is no doubt that the collapse of Ansett and the tragic events of September 2001 presented difficulties along the way," he said.

The 75,000 sq m terminal initially will cater for more than five million passengers a year but is capable of handling eight million users within a decade.

Virgin Blue chief executive Brett Godfrey said his first impressions were of a "splendid" terminal.

Qantas executive general manager, airports and catering, Grant Fenn, said: "Adelaide now has a world-class airport that will serve as a striking gateway for visitors to the city and to everything South Australia has to offer".

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#37 Post by Al » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:59 pm

Like they say, "you don't get a second chance to make a first impression." Awesome news.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#38 Post by Howie » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:17 pm

just got back from the airport public opening... phew.. walking from one end of the terminal to the other is tiring stuff! :) I was simply blown away by it all... without a doubt the best airport i've seen in this country. we should be proud.

BradJC
Gold-Member ;)

[COM]

#39 Post by BradJC » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:26 pm

Without a doubt Howie!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#40 Post by Howie » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:45 pm

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#41 Post by AG » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:24 pm

Nice one Howie. On a separate note, this thread title should be changed to complete. :)

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#42 Post by Pants » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:23 pm

Took one or two photos of the airport yesterday.

Here's a link to the album.

The password is, wait for it... "airport".

http://photobucket.com/albums/v246/mich ... 20Opening/

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#43 Post by Pikey » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:21 pm

Great pics boys.

didn't get down there on the weekend, but I'm flying out to Melbourne next monday, so I guess I'll get to see it in all it's glory then!! THat'll be the first day of domestic use, if I'm not mistaken!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#44 Post by Howie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:30 pm

Next monday or monday week? i don't think domestic flights begin at the new terminal until the 18th.

adelaideIndex
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#45 Post by adelaideIndex » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:44 pm

hi, i've got some photos from the airport open days here:

http://www.adelaideindex.com/airport.php