[COM] Adelaide Airport T1 Terminal | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#76 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:42 am

Was down there today. Wednesday arvo isn't exactly the busiest time for an Airport. I didn't get to see any international flights arrive/depart.

Looking from departures over tarmac

The retail bit. Half the shops are still empty.

Security check thinggo.

Qantas check-in

Aerobridges!

Enjoy!

EvilTwin
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#77 Post by EvilTwin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:47 pm

Yay! great to see the Airport finally working. Thanks for the Pictures Atd. Its also nice to see the top of City Central Tower 1 sticking out in the first picture :)

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#78 Post by ReallyBad » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:56 am

How cool is that - finally doing what it is meant to do. Looks great with people waking around the terminal, and planes parked out the front.

Can't wait to use it - just not when that will be yet...

BradJC
Gold-Member ;)

[COM]

#79 Post by BradJC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:42 pm

Finally Open - Fantastic

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#80 Post by AtD » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:30 am

Regional travellers don't like their part of the deal:

http://www.rex.com.au/AboutRex/InTheCom ... views.aspx

Looking at what they have to go though with, that's fair enough. 80m from check-in to security, 400m to the gate, four flights of stairs and another 300m though an unventilated, undrained 'cattle run' to the tarmac.

Passengers coming in from places like Pt. Lincoln, where there isn't much airport security, are arriving in Adelaide and since the International flights use the same facilities as the regional flights, passengers must go though security upon arrival. People are having their scissors and nail files confiscated having already flown and gotten off the plane. I see the reasoning behind the security, but I can also understand the angst.

My solution? There's now two empty terminals that aren't being used. Too simple?

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#81 Post by ReallyBad » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:48 am

I have spoken to quite a few people who have used the new terminal and my feeback is:

Regional
Small - long way to walk and feel like cattle (but we all knew that) - only 2 people I know

Domestic
Absolutely fantastic - spacious, good looking and comfortable - about 35 people

International
Small, cramped a feeling of the "poor cousin" - 4 people

While I have never travelled International, I was suprised about the reports for the International. Anyone else heard about or used the International, and what did they/you think?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#82 Post by AG » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:58 am

International is very similar to Domestic. There's glass walls that can be opened and closed to create more or less gates in the International area. On days where there are few international flights the area is small, but on days when more international flights depart it gets larger.

It's spacious enough, but the only downside is that in order to reach the international area, you must head north to have your passports checked.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#83 Post by ReallyBad » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:16 am

That makes me happier AG - thought they were strange comments, but then the people I spoke with are the "whinging" type anyway.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#84 Post by Algernon » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:29 pm

Regional customers can swim to the plane for all I care.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#85 Post by Will » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:00 pm

ReallyBad wrote:That makes me happier AG - thought they were strange comments, but then the people I spoke with are the "whinging" type anyway.
There are certain people who whinge about anything, they just do it to put down Adelaide.

Just read the letters sent to the Advertiser. It baffles me how people can whinge about the tram extension, the Fringe or the Clipsal 500.

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#86 Post by Waz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:58 pm

Algernon wrote:Regional customers can swim to the plane for all I care.
On that note - facilities at the new terminal, no matter how long, are still better than any regional airport...
You hear it here first...

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#87 Post by Pants » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:26 pm

Will wrote: It baffles me how people can whinge about the tram extension, the Fringe or the Clipsal 500.
Tram extension - too many sweating tourists.

The Fringe - unwashed hippies.

The Clipsal 500 - beer-drenched bogans.

I joke, of course.

Our fair city's ticking along nicely this month, wouldn't you say?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#88 Post by Will » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:52 pm

Pants wrote:
Will wrote: It baffles me how people can whinge about the tram extension, the Fringe or the Clipsal 500.
Tram extension - too many sweating tourists.

The Fringe - unwashed hippies.

The Clipsal 500 - beer-drenched bogans.

I joke, of course.

Our fair city's ticking along nicely this month, wouldn't you say?
Yes I agree Pants, Adelaide is the place to be in March.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Adelaide Airport one of the best

#89 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:54 pm

Adelaide Airport one of the best

STUART INNES, TOURISM WRITER

March 13, 2007 01:50pm

Adelaide Airport is one of the best in the world, according to official awards announced in Dubai overnight.

The airport, featuring a $260 million multi-purpose passenger terminal called T1, was a close second in the awards for airports handling 5 million to 15 million passengers a year.

Twenty-three airports were nominated in that category, won by Central Japan Airport.

The Airports Council International awards for service quality recognise staff courtesy, flight information and security arrangements, speed of baggage delivery and even the availability of baggage trolleys.

''The award is a credit to our staff, our airline customers and all involved in the day to day operations of T1,'' Adelaide Airport Ltd managing director Phil Baker said from Dubai today.

''It also provides a tremendous boost for the region as a whole by putting the name `Adelaide' on the lips of major airlines.''

The award comes after independent surveys of passengers.

Adelaide Airport rated in the top 10 airports world-wide for ambience and ``a feeling of being safe and secure.''

Best airport worldwide was won by Seoul Incheon International Airport in South Korea.

Adelaide Airport was named Australia's best capital city airport by the Australian Airports Association last year.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM]

#90 Post by Ho Really » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

ReallyBad wrote:International
Small, cramped a feeling of the "poor cousin" - 4 people

While I have never travelled International, I was suprised about the reports for the International. Anyone else heard about or used the International, and what did they/you think?
I have no issue with Departures which I rate as good as any of the several International airports I have experienced abroad, however Arrivals could be better. I want to know why we have to endure another duty free shop before immigration and customs? The area beyond could also be a little more spacious and the baggage carousel a little longer. There were two x-ray machines in operation. Not sure whether they had any more, I guess these are expensive. The fellas there were quick and did a good job. Not sure how they cope in Customs, I had nothing to delcare or hide in my luggage, so I never experienced that. After Customs there's one lift and the escalator to the ground floor. Didn't really like this area when I first saw it on one of the open days back in 2005. I guess the International Arrivals 'as is' will have to do until more airlines come our way. Things could flow better. Also a few mural images of SA could welcome tourists (but that's a personal thing). Overall I shouldn't complain. Our airport now has come of age. Hopefully the fellas down there will keep it up-to-date to win more awards. Good luck.

Cheers