COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#601 Post by crawf » Mon May 14, 2007 2:10 am

Will409 wrote:Photos from yesterday, 11-5-07

Smoothing out the pale concrete edging.
Nice view :lol:

BTW those KWS flagpoles will be relocated to Grote Street (apart of the redevelopment) - will make Grote St more of a grand entrance into the CBD and look really nice.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#602 Post by rhino » Mon May 14, 2007 8:13 am

crawf wrote:BTW those KWS flagpoles will be relocated to Grote Street (apart of the redevelopment) - will make Grote St more of a grand entrance into the CBD and look really nice.
And when the City West loop is getting done and the tram has to go down Grote Street, where will they move the flagpoles to then?
cheers,
Rhino

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#603 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue May 15, 2007 10:40 am

Tom wrote:No, the Liberals attacked the Government over this....

I think that its really not going to be a problem, the curves at depot are sharper and there isnt much noise made and even though the trams go slower over these curves then they will a t the King William St/North Tce insection i really dont think it will be much of a problem.
No, jk1237 is correct. The curved section will have the rubber in the tracks. The Opposition complaint was that the entire extension isn't being built this way. The Government argued it was an unnecessary expense to build the entire track this way as the noise won't be an issue elsewhere.

So, yes, the curved part will have rubber lining on the tracks.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#604 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue May 15, 2007 10:44 am

crawf wrote:BTW those KWS flagpoles will be relocated to Grote Street (apart of the redevelopment) - will make Grote St more of a grand entrance into the CBD and look really nice.
When down King William Street I saw that they had Australian flags all the way down the street but on closer inspection, a couple of the flags were New Zealand flags. I guess they ran out of Australian flags. :oops:

rhino

#605 Post by rhino » Tue May 15, 2007 11:11 am

Tyler_Durden wrote:When down King William Street I saw that they had Australian flags all the way down the street but on closer inspection, a couple of the flags were New Zealand flags. I guess they ran out of Australian flags. :oops:
Was it Anzac Day?
cheers,
Rhino

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#606 Post by Tom » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 pm

rhino wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:When down King William Street I saw that they had Australian flags all the way down the street but on closer inspection, a couple of the flags were New Zealand flags. I guess they ran out of Australian flags. :oops:
Was it Anzac Day?
Im pretty sure they were, i remember all those flags apearing around Anzac Day.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#607 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed May 16, 2007 1:13 pm

rhino wrote:
Was it Anzac Day?
Good question. I didn't think of that. It definately wasn't ANZAC day that I saw them, it was after that, but they were quite possibly still there for that reason.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#608 Post by Will409 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:50 pm

Stage 3 has now been posted on the Transport SA website. I am sorry about the size of the image.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/tramexte ... _3_map.jpg
Transport SA wrote: The next stage of major track laying works will be undertaken in King William Street between the northern end of Victoria Square and just south of the North Terrace intersection from about 10 pm on Friday, 18 May 2007 and will continue uninterrupted until about 7 am on Monday, 21 May 2007 with major restrictions in place.

Motorists

Motorists are advised that King William Street (north of Victoria Square) will be closed to through traffic during the weekend works, with one lane in each direction for buses, emergency vehicles and limited local traffic only.
Traffic control personnel will be directing all vehicles away from this section of King William Street unless they have a direct need to access a specific business.
Vehicles will be unable to access or enter King William Street from Hindley, Grenfell, Currie, Pirie or Waymouth Streets during the weekend works.
In addition, from Friday, 18 May 2007, northbound and southbound motorists on King William Street will be unable to turn right into North Terrace.

Pedestrians

During the weekend works, temporary pedestrian bridges will be provided across King William Street south of Rundle Mall and south of Currie/Grenfell Streets on Saturday and Sunday between 8am and 10pm only.
Outside of these hours, pedestrians will need to cross King William Street at either the North Terrace or Flinders/Franklin Street traffic signals.

Bus services

Buses travelling westbound on Currie Street or eastbound on Grenfell Street will have detours in place with the temporary relocation of bus stops to North Terrace and Pulteney Street as required.
Buses will travel and stop along King William Street as normal during the weekend works.
Following the major works, some bus stops, taxi ranks and loading zones on King William Street will be relocated to accommodate the new tram tracks, particularly where the future tram stops and platforms will be constructed. Please download the flyer with details of bus stop relocations here.

Taxi services

No taxi rank facilities will be available on King William Street during the weekend works.
A temporary taxi rank will be available on the southern side of North Terrace just east of the King William Street intersection or on the southern side of Grenfell Street, east of King William Street, which will be a permanent relocation.

Details about traffic changes to King William Street and the new 'scramble' pedestrian crossings have also been posted.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/tramexte ... hanges.jpg
Transport SA wrote: Changes to traffic conditions on King William Street

Traffic conditions on King William Street, between North Terrace and Flinders-Franklin streets, have changed from the evening of Friday 4 May 2007. This is to allow preliminary works to be undertaken, within the future tramline corridor, before major construction works begin.

The preliminary works involve removal of the median and flagpoles, plus installation of new electrical conduits. The median strip will be reinstated including replacement of the garden beds following the construction works.

The following traffic changes are now in place on King William Street:

Safety barriers have been installed along the tramline corridor to create a safe working area for contractors.
The two centre traffic lanes (one lane in each direction) are no longer available for use by motorists and speed restrictions apply.
The current peak-hour ban on right turn movements from King William Street has been extended to 24 hours a day. This ban affects the intersections of Pirie and Waymouth streets, Currie and Grenfell streets and for southbound motorists at Hindley and Franklin streets.
Turning left from King William Street into Waymouth Street is temporarily banned, between 7 am and 7 pm, while the kerbside lane in King William Street is occupied by a private construction company working on the City Central project.

The right-turns from King William Street for southbound and northbound motorists into North Terrace will be banned from Friday, 18 May 2007.
Suggested alternative routes for motorists turning right off King William Street are Pultney or Morphett streets. Motorists who do not need to access the CBD can use alternative ring routes such as Robe Terrace, Fullarton Road, Greenhill Road and Port Road etc.

The project claims King William Street and North Terrace as road corridors where priority will be given to public transport.

For further information, please download the changes to traffic conditions on King William Street flyer, effective from 4 May 2007.

Below is a map of the final changes in King William Street with right-turns at North Terrace banned from Friday, 18 May 2007. The scramble pedestrian crossings will be in operation when the trams are running on the new track in September 2007
Finally, the flyer about the changed traffic conditions.

http://www.transportsa.com.au/tramexten ... 300407.pdf
Last edited by Will409 on Thu May 17, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rhino

#609 Post by rhino » Thu May 17, 2007 7:38 am

The second image doesn't show a tram stop in Victoria Square. I'm sure there will be one. Any idea where? I'm guessing just north of Grote St.
cheers,
Rhino

Will409
Legendary Member!

#610 Post by Will409 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:49 am

Going by what the Public Works Document from last year has shown us, it will be on the south side of Grote Street infront of the Hilton Hotel.

rhino

#611 Post by rhino » Thu May 17, 2007 8:04 am

Hmmm ..... that would mean that the trams travelling the future Grey St - Grote St western loop would pass next to it but not be able to stop at it.
cheers,
Rhino

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#612 Post by shuza » Thu May 17, 2007 9:33 am

Trams running northbound won't be able to, but the trams running westbound would - since the stop is before the turn onto Grote Street.

I wonder where the stop destinations would be along the route? Surely there would be one adjacent to Chinatown and the Bus Station Terminal, given that Central Markets would already be served by the stop on the western edge of Vic Square.
I'm guessing another at the Post Office HQ/St Mary's College area. Another behind the BP/On the Run Servo, and another where the nightclub stands. (but on North Terrace) - feel free to object if you wish.

I would think it'd be more convienient to have trams run down West Terrace, as it serves each of these destinations in the same manner - although I can see the expense in building pedestrian overpasses/underpasses over West Terrace, due to the large traffic amounts.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#613 Post by AtD » Thu May 17, 2007 11:09 am

Will409, would you be able to edit your post and replace the images with links? The width screws with the page layout and makes it very hard to read the thread.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#614 Post by Will409 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:13 pm

Post edited.

You may have noticed in the first image that at two places along King William Street, there will be pedestrian overpasses erected. I had a strong feeling that Morphett Street Bridge would have been the only place to get an overhead shot. Obviously not. Certainly makes getting a good shot a lot easier :D

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#615 Post by bmw boy » Thu May 17, 2007 9:15 pm

shuza wrote:Trams running northbound won't be able to, but the trams running westbound would - since the stop is before the turn onto Grote Street.

I wonder where the stop destinations would be along the route? Surely there would be one adjacent to Chinatown and the Bus Station Terminal, given that Central Markets would already be served by the stop on the western edge of Vic Square.
I'm guessing another at the Post Office HQ/St Mary's College area. Another behind the BP/On the Run Servo, and another where the nightclub stands. (but on North Terrace) - feel free to object if you wish.

I would think it'd be more convienient to have trams run down West Terrace, as it serves each of these destinations in the same manner - although I can see the expense in building pedestrian overpasses/underpasses over West Terrace, due to the large traffic amounts.

I think trams going down West Tce would be a better option than inner side streets, the wide lanes would suit it well.... although wouldnt this mean that 'No right turn' rules would also be infroced the same as King William street. ???
I cant see people putting up with this, or it even working if it were the case.
This also has a differnet outcome to the No right turns on KW, as turning onto Sir Donald Bradman Drive and onto Henly Beach Rd are rather sepreate arterial routes compared to the with the CBD streets, which won't be as difficult to find and alternative route...to find your intended destination. (hope that made sense)