COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#691 Post by Adamo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:13 pm

I have had exams so I have had no opportunity to take a look at the remaining development.

Anyone have any more recent pictures?

I might take some this weekend after my exams

The north terrace curve into king William street looks great.
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#692 Post by Tom » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:21 pm

Platform edging has been installed at Pirie Street, work continued on the northern King William Street crossover over the weekend. Brown traffic control boxes have been installed outside Town Hall and Darrel Lea for the new scatter crossings other then that there hasn’t been any major work since the June Long Weekend.
Garno!

duke
High Rise Poster!

#693 Post by duke » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:37 pm

They had two trucks blocking off a lane down the end of King William towards North Tce.
I didn't go down and see but it looked like one could have been lifting stuff into the fenced off area.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#694 Post by Will409 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Sorry for posting a little bit late.

I was back on site yesterday afternoon and found the following. There were a couple of cement trucks out at the northern end of King William Street pouring concrete for the new sets of points forming a crossover at the northern end of the new platform at Rundle Mall. There was some news to report about the platforms (plural because Pirie Street is also going in) themselves. The concrete edging slabs have now got a darker coating like the track concrete used for most of the route. The platforms are also shorter then I thought they would be. They are just long enough to take a Flexi by the looks of it although they are designed to take a coupled H set as well.

Down at Victoria Square, clearing of the right of way to Grote Street has been completed and there is now a trench showing where the track will go. I also caught a couple of guys getting rid of the sand from the concrete pavers that used to be there. Probably for use under the sleepers. They also didn't know whether the track would still be laid in grass as the Government report stated although considering the Box Hill extension in Melbourne (opened 2003) has this treatment, should be happening.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#695 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:44 pm

Just thought Id let everyone know that the first of the centre (tram wire) poles have been put in on North Terrace. I work in the EDS building and was wondering what they were doing in the morning. When I came out for lunch, 4 of the poles were put up - 2 infront of EDS and 2 at the Morphett ST bridge stop. Didnt seem to take them long!

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#696 Post by Adamo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:34 pm

just let u guys all know stage 5 has been posted ! going to be on 22-24 June 2007

# The middle section of Victoria Square between Grote Street and Wakefield Street will be closed to traffic travelling east and west.
# Motorists will be detoured around this section of Victoria Square, but will be able to travel north and south on both sides of Victoria Square and turn left into or left out of King William Street via Grote Street or Wakefield Street.

Just got that from the website: http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/tramextension/news.asp
Rise Against

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#697 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Bloody hell, its happening quick. We will be hearing 'ding ding' fairly soon. Good idea to do it all right up to Gouger St now, so to allow the Glenelg trams to still get to Victoria SQ, and then connect the tracks once everythings almost complete. I was worried that they would terminate trams at South Terrace for 3 months, which wouldnt make passengers very happy. Nice one!

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#698 Post by Adamo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:11 pm

I doubt they would of done that since most people get off at Victoria square stop.

yeah its taking shape now

is this the last major stage? or is there stage six?
Rise Against

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#699 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:01 pm

I guess you can say Stage Six is finilising the platforms, but I think this is the last road closure. I wonder how the buses will cope doing U-turns... but I guess not that many run on the weekends anyway.

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#700 Post by Tom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Poles have gone up at the western side of North Tce, They are just plain poles with a merged finial in the form of point, brakets are yet to be installed.
Garno!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#701 Post by AtD » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:11 am

normangerman wrote:I guess you can say Stage Six is finilising the platforms, but I think this is the last road closure. I wonder how the buses will cope doing U-turns... but I guess not that many run on the weekends anyway.
There's still the reconfiguration of the intersection of Gouger, Angus and King William to go.

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#702 Post by Adamo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:41 am

yeah on the transport sa site it says

'The final stage of major works will involve resurfacing works in Victoria Square and major track laying works across Gouger Street over a weekend in early August 2007.'

So there will be another a final stage :D

We are near the end ;)
Rise Against

Will409
Legendary Member!

#703 Post by Will409 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Photos from Monday the 18th. It is interesting to note that the platforms appear to be a good deal shorter then those on the Glenelg line and appear to only just fit a Flexi. I am starting to scratch my head about a coupled H set.

Concreting the crossover.

Rundle Mall platform.

Pirie Street platform.

Conduits for a new support mast by Grote Street.

Work at Franklin Street.

Cleared right of way through Victoria Square.

Markings on the side of the rail. Could this help in identifying the weight? Possibly not but if anyone else knows, please speak up.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#704 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:32 pm

Nice work Will! I haven't had to get to the city to do the same, but now that I've finished Uni exams, I can get down to the city this Sunday I hope and snap some myself.

You have pretty much covered every angle possible. Nice work :)

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#705 Post by jk1237 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Hey Will409, I wouln't be surprised if we never saw a coupled H-set ever again, since they would only be run on weekends. Could be wrong though. By the way are you quite 100% positive the stops are shorter. I remember hearing somewhere once that in the next few years the govt is looking at getting a couple of super super trams ie 4 cabin long things, like a few in Melb. It would be silly to make the platforms to short though