COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
stelaras
High Rise Poster!

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#841 Post by stelaras » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:33 pm

if you do something do it right the first time!

It will cost them and invariably us (through taxes) more in the future to fix that part of south road again (gain in prperty value). After all, if federal money is to be given to us, why not put that whole stretch underground or convert it to a proper highway, avoiding all those traffic lights up to the Tenneco and Mitsubishi.

From my logical perspective any time that is gained from the port road and anzac highway tunel will be lost travelling through the trafic light ridden section between blackforest and tenneco/mitsubishi.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#842 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:47 pm

stelaras wrote: From my logical perspective any time that is gained from the port road and anzac highway tunel will be lost travelling through the trafic light ridden section between blackforest and tenneco/mitsubishi.
This is not always the case. When the bridge was built over Cross Road, the time saved was not lost further down the road. The couple of minutes saved at that intersection was saved. (Put the train crossing into the equation and even more time was saved).
cheers,
Rhino

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

#843 Post by Maximus_Marc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:28 pm

that is an AMAZING shot you took. if the tram, construction worker and few lamps weren't there, then it would have looked like Gotham City with all that eerie fog, faint lighting and townhall clock. loving that fog!

what camera did you use because the clarity for such poor lighting conditions is fantastic?

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#844 Post by BillD » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Camera is a Canon S3 IS, non SLR, time exposure on tripod.
Being a non-SLR the shot is a lot noisier than I'd like but my budget can stretch there for a while.
Bill

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#845 Post by stelaras » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:56 am

rhino wrote: This is not always the case. When the bridge was built over Cross Road, the time saved was not lost further down the road. The couple of minutes saved at that intersection was saved. (Put the train crossing into the equation and even more time was saved).
I see your point. However, with an enlarged castle plaza shopping precint you would anticipate more cars going into and out of those surrounding streets, you have two or three schools in that area and that section was always tight for traffic with three sets of lights within a few hundred metres of eachother. I don't think you can expect to get green lights over that distance. To me, that "semi industrialised come shopping strip" poses a problem for the south road upgrade.

It can never be a true north-south corridor until that section is dealt with. There is no easy solution and i acknowledge that it would cost big $$$$ to fix.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#846 Post by BillD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:12 am

Midnight August the 8th and thanks to a tip from friend Will I caught Adelaide H's 380 & 370 checking clearances in Victoria Square.

380 was partially into the stop on the up track when it was brought to a stop by shouts from a number of staff who were monitoring the movement. The photo shows the limit of its progress.

Inspections were made and apparently things were too tight as the trams backed out before successfully moving into the stop on the down.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#847 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:02 am

Cheers Bill. Great work as always.

rhino

#848 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:21 pm

WELLDONE, THAT MAN!!!

Thanks for those, Bill.
cheers,
Rhino

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#849 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Your the man Bill!!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#850 Post by bmw boy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Bill for PM!

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#851 Post by sam » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:31 pm

This afternoon just after 2pm there was some sort of trouble with the tram in Victoria Square. Just leaving the platform heading back for Glenelg not sure if it actually derailed or not - but it looked like they were trying to line the wheels back onto the track.

Was disappointed that I didn't have my camera on me :(

rhino

#852 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Yeah I saw that too, but no camera either :(
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#853 Post by skyliner » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Bill, you know I'm going to have to lift those shots to my desktop don't you. I have one of North TCe at the moment .Absolutely stunning work!!!! What a credit you will be to the forum!! A real PR opportunity!! :D :D

ADELAIDE - A PHOENIX ARISING IN A SPECTACULAR WAY
Jack.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#854 Post by BillD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words people. Best ease off now before my head gets too big to leave the house :)
Bill

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#855 Post by bmw boy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:19 pm

BillD wrote:Thanks for the kind words people. Best ease off now before my head gets too big to leave the house :)
Bill
Nonsence Bill. Your commitment to go out at such untimely hours in freezing temperatures to snap away is to be applauded