COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#61 Post by Will » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:57 pm

AG wrote:Read the letters to the editor today. All the letters opposing the tram line extension are pretty much all from motorists with concerns of their own. It is also obvious that most have absolutely no clue that there are likely to be further tram extensions around the CBD and inner city, beyond North Terrace and North Adelaide. Mr Rann himself has even said that he has thought of extending the tram lines further.
I also read these letters and it angered me deeply that people can be against such an enlightened proyect.

I hope that the government isn't swayed by these selfish, insular people. From my experiences in Melbourne, I can confirm that trams add a special vibe to inner city areas. I hope that in future we will once again see trams along the Parade, on Unley Road, King William Street at hyde Park and Henley Beach Road.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by Howie » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:32 pm

What i love about the melbourne system is that it's so extensive. You can catch a tram to pretty much anywhere within the inner melbourne city... or it'll at least get you damn close.

Love the melbourne city loop, also love how it goes down st kilda and then the otherside through to richmond.

Would be nice to see something similar with, marion, tea tree gully, port adelaide, west lakes all connected via tram lines to the cbd and then a loop running around the city. Hopefully i'll see it within my lifetime.

greenchilli
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#63 Post by greenchilli » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:40 pm

ditto.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by AG » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:19 am

Howie wrote:What i love about the melbourne system is that it's so extensive. You can catch a tram to pretty much anywhere within the inner melbourne city... or it'll at least get you damn close.

Love the melbourne city loop, also love how it goes down st kilda and then the otherside through to richmond.

Would be nice to see something similar with, marion, tea tree gully, port adelaide, west lakes all connected via tram lines to the cbd and then a loop running around the city. Hopefully i'll see it within my lifetime.
You might be confused. The City Loop doesn't go through St. Kilda. There are only 5 stations on the Loop: Flinders Street, Spencer Street, Flagstaff, Melbourne Central and Parliament. The set up is good in some ways, but sometimes inconvenient for those who need to get off at the last stop (usually Flinders Street in morning and Parliament in afternoon). The City Circle tram may be a good place to start with other tram services interchanging with it in the CBD.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by AG » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:47 pm

The first tram was unloaded at Victoria Square just after midnight this morning.

Pics:

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Waz » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:06 am

Just seeing it in pictures makes me want more new tram routes....
You hear it here first...

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:39 am

Anyone read an article in today's advertiser by Paul Starick regarding our trams and possible future developments?

Great read you guys should have a look at it.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#68 Post by Algernon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:57 pm

Can you scan it?

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#69 Post by sam » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:41 pm

chris wrote:Can you scan it?
I can't be stuffed scanning it so I downloaded it instead! :)

Read it here:
http://stumpsa.com/GranderTramVision.htm

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Howie » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:51 am

There's also an article today in the Adelaide Independent Weekly

New tramline hailed as route to the future

Extending the Glenelg tramway has divided the city. It's expensive and it's controversial. Can it be justified? Ian Williams asks the experts.

http://www.independentweekly.com.au/
They don't have the full article online, think anyone can scan it in for us?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#71 Post by Will » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:27 pm

I hope the beauty of the new trams inspires the government to extend the tram lines. I also hope those negative people when they see the new trams in operation can actually comprehend the benefits of more tram lines throughout Adelaide.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by sam » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:48 pm

So the Trams will be free to ride between North Terrace and Victoria Square once the extension is complete, hence replacing the CityFree 99B Beeline.

I think they should take it one step further and make Tram travel free between North Terrace and South Terrace, Any comments?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by AG » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:07 pm

Wouldn't make much difference, although I guess it would be less confusing as to where you have to and where you don't have to validate your ticket.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by AG » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:27 pm

And another derailment occurred at Glengowrie last night.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Howie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:10 pm

once again they tried switching tracks didn't they? hmm..