COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#886 Post by AG » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:00 pm

They're called scramble crossings, not scatter crossings you lot. :lol:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#887 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:28 am

bmw boy wrote:it seems the people i saw standing there 2day... are different than friday, where i said they were handing out stuff to people and explaining...

they are wearing different unifroms from green jumpers.... now to orange workers vests.... and wernt handing anything out.... but where just standing there lol

so i dunno.....
The guys in the green uniform, are probably the Adelaide Greeters or whatever there called...

duke
High Rise Poster!

#888 Post by duke » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:28 am

AG wrote:They're called scramble crossings, not scatter crossings you lot. :lol:
Sorry I must of missed the correct name during the instructions they were giving out. All those details on how to use the crossings. I don't know how they expect anyone to remember :P

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#889 Post by AG » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:57 pm

duke wrote:Sorry I must of missed the correct name during the instructions they were giving out. All those details on how to use the crossings. I don't know how they expect anyone to remember :P
It will probably become second nature to most people after a while. Most people have become familiar with the operation of the signals at the opposite end of Rundle Mall since the new signalling sequence was introduced a few years ago.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#890 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:24 pm

It would be more intuitive if the lines did an X like on the other end of the mall.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#891 Post by Will409 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:17 pm

When I was last in the city getting photos of the extension, I was suprised that the new scramble crossings didn't have diagonal lines painted down. Even though the new signs for the crossings had been installed, no one took any notice of the new arrangements and continued to use the crossings as they did before. The sooner the diagonal lines are put down, the better.

Anyway, something different now.

The latest video clip on here is from June 21. Anyway, this is a 5 minute video 'diary' of construction on the extension taken between April and June showing all stages of work upto that point at various locations on the extension.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#892 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:10 pm

I think they will be better used, when the new tramline is in operation.

lol I saw those two guys (one in green, and the other in orange) standing there at the Rundle Mall/Hindley St intersection.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#893 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 am

Nice work Will409! Front page stuff!

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#894 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:48 am

I wonder why they haven't put a scamble crossing on the Currie/Grenfell - King William intersection like they did with the intersections north and south of it.
Will409 wrote:Even though the new signs for the crossings had been installed, no one took any notice of the new arrangements and continued to use the crossings as they did before.
Yeah, it's a bit of a problem. It forces cars turning left off of KWS to wait for pedestrians and hold up a lane of traffic, negating one of the benefits of a scramble crossing.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#895 Post by Diamond » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:I wonder why they haven't put a scamble crossing on the Currie/Grenfell - King William intersection like they did with the intersections north and south of it.
Will409 wrote:Even though the new signs for the crossings had been installed, no one took any notice of the new arrangements and continued to use the crossings as they did before.
Yeah, it's a bit of a problem. It forces cars turning left off of KWS to wait for pedestrians and hold up a lane of traffic, negating one of the benefits of a scramble crossing.
I think the scramble crossings are at those locations due to the tram stops also being at the corresponding intersections.
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#896 Post by Diamond » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Will409 wrote:When I was last in the city getting photos of the extension, I was suprised that the new scramble crossings didn't have diagonal lines painted down. Even though the new signs for the crossings had been installed, no one took any notice of the new arrangements and continued to use the crossings as they did before. The sooner the diagonal lines are put down, the better.
Do you mean two diagonal lines running down the middle of the intersection, as per the Pulteney/Rundle St crossing?

I think zebra stripes should be painted across the entire intersection (for each of the 3 scramble crossings). It would be much more effective, in my opinion.

Cheers
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

Will409
Legendary Member!

#897 Post by Will409 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Yes, diamond but that is what I was thinking of. As I have said, the sooner they do it, the better. A poor visual represenation is better then none at all!
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#898 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:58 pm

From what I saw today, people are slowly adapting to the new crossing. A lot more people are using the crossing properly than previously.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#899 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Diamondov wrote:I think zebra stripes should be painted across the entire intersection (for each of the 3 scramble crossings). It would be much more effective, in my opinion.
That wouldn't do, considering zebra crossings are pedestrian priority at all times. I do agree, though, that some sort of pattern might be more efficacious, much like in Japan.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#900 Post by AtD » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Diamondov wrote:I think zebra stripes should be painted across the entire intersection (for each of the 3 scramble crossings). It would be much more effective, in my opinion.

Cheers
The road rules wouldn't allow it at an intersection.