COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1066 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:01 am

Can we all just get over it now please? He's just trolling.

How are the shelters going?

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1067 Post by rubberman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:58 am

AtD

You are so right.

All those posts might have been useful when the decision to build the tramline was being made. Now it's been built, the tramlovers have won. Game over. Winners are grinners.

Does anyone know when the first revenue tram rolls down to City West?

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#1068 Post by Froggy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:47 am

normangerman wrote:Firstly, a tram comes every 7 minutes, and the trip takes no more than 5 minutes, so the most extreme time amount is 12 minutes. Go back and do your maths!
You KNOW it won't run on time.
normangerman wrote:Um... the trams have priority, so they DON'T have to wait for a green light or whatever.
Trams have priority just like when they wait for lights on the Glenelg line? That tram trip takes FOREVER. Also you clearly don't go down Port Road often, there's a crossover roughly every few hundred metres which does not have lights, plus the car parking in the middle of the road. If you were to put a Tram down the middle it will mean that all these crossovers will hvae to be cut off as they aren't large enough to have a tram going across the middle of them and have cars queue if the tram is there.
someone wrote:
He said Pirie Street, not Rundle Mall. Plus you still need to walk up the hill to KWS, which is quite a task for an older person. And if you go through the arcade (which, when full, will make going through even slower) it is still a fair walk to Hindly Street. Believe me, even walking fast it takes 10 minutes+ to walk from the Train Station to Rundle Mall. I know this because I walked down this passageway for 3 years. Your research? Pfft. [/quote]

I used that walkway for years during my school days and 10+ minutes.. are you on crack?-
normangerman wrote:yay finally someone else on here who finished high school!
Looks like you need to go back there and actually pass it...[/quote]

feeling a bit intellectually challenged are we?

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#1069 Post by Froggy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 am

Mants wrote:froggy, i think it's about time to build a bridge and get over it, the tramline is there now, whether you like it or not.

why dont you put your energies into complaining about something worthwhile such as the ailing train system?

the tram is aesthetically pleasing and should not be viewed as a single project, rather the first stage in a series of extensions into the suburbs. our family often have interstate guests and they have all made positive comments regarding the tramline extension. The scramble/scatter crossings will also help to improve pedestrian movement across the city.

if you complain about having to deal with trams along king william street, how on earth would you manage driving around melbourne?!
This IS what the next fight is against and why people need to keep fighting the tram. Extending it out into the suburbs is a nightmare in Adelaide. The only viable place which was found to be not worth the bother is to go to O'Connell st! It's the only reason the tram was meant to be put down in the first place and it made SENSE! OMG but noooooooooo lets just have it go to no where. The problem I think is if they extend it to O'connell st then they can't have it for free as you are effectively giving North Adelaide residents free public transport to work and there'd be a huge fight if that happened.

urban
Legendary Member!

#1070 Post by urban » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:23 am

Froggy wrote:
urban wrote:The point of the extension is not just to take people 200m down the road but to deliver those who catch the tram 200m (or 1.5km to city west) closer to their destination. By reducing the walk at the start or end of the trip you speed up the entire journey by between 3 and 15 minutes thus making public transport a much more attractive option. The RAA kicked up a fuss because the scramble crossings were likely to add 20 seconds to journeys down KWS.
So by reducing the walking it saves time, that makes sense EXCEPT by the time you have spent waiting for the tram to come you'll end up witha 15 minute trip still so consider your point irrelevant.
I realise that the concept of public transport is difficult for you froggy so I will spell it out for you.

EXAMPLE
If you get on the tram at Glenelg you will be able to get off THE SAME TRAM at UniSA's City West campus. Total 35 minutes.

Previously if you got on the tram at Glenelg you had to get off at Vic Sq (30 minutes) then either catch a bus or walk to city West taking between 10 and 30 minutes. Total 40-60 minutes.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1071 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:52 am

Froggy wrote:
normangerman wrote:Firstly, a tram comes every 7 minutes, and the trip takes no more than 5 minutes, so the most extreme time amount is 12 minutes. Go back and do your maths!
You KNOW it won't run on time.
Well, if one runs 5 mins late, the next one will run 5 mins late as well, etc, etc. So it evens out.

And I doubt they will all run late, 1/2 the trams operate in the city only in the first place.
Froggy wrote:
normangerman wrote:Um... the trams have priority, so they DON'T have to wait for a green light or whatever.
Trams have priority just like when they wait for lights on the Glenelg line? That tram trip takes FOREVER. Also you clearly don't go down Port Road often, there's a crossover roughly every few hundred metres which does not have lights, plus the car parking in the middle of the road. If you were to put a Tram down the middle it will mean that all these crossovers will hvae to be cut off as they aren't large enough to have a tram going across the middle of them and have cars queue if the tram is there.
Oh please! There has never been a time where a tram had to wait at a traffic light on the Greenhill Road-Brighton Road passage. The only time it stopped was at stops. The same goes for trains and trams around the world, and in some cases even buses in some countries. PT will always have priority green.
Froggy wrote:
someone wrote:He said Pirie Street, not Rundle Mall. Plus you still need to walk up the hill to KWS, which is quite a task for an older person. And if you go through the arcade (which, when full, will make going through even slower) it is still a fair walk to Hindly Street. Believe me, even walking fast it takes 10 minutes+ to walk from the Train Station to Rundle Mall. I know this because I walked down this passageway for 3 years. Your research? Pfft.
I used that walkway for years during my school days and 10+ minutes.. are you on crack?
No, because the 171 or 182 would arrive on KWS at Hindley Street at 3.40, and I would be lucky to catch the 3.50 train. Sure I could have caught the Beeline, but that pile of shite that is a bus is either late or unreliable. The tram is a lot faster, and makes use of the crossing across North Terrace. There's nothing better than a tram.
Froggy wrote:
normangerman wrote:
Froggy wrote:yay finally someone else on here who finished high school!
Looks like you need to go back there and actually pass it...
feeling a bit intellectually challenged are we?
No, that's alright. Actually, I have Uni to go to, so I have no intention to wasting anymore time arguing how much freaking better a tram is, because trams are fast, reliable, and the Beeline is a mounting pile of shit. I hear pre-school is taking back their drop-outs... you should apply.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1072 Post by bmw boy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:54 am

Cruise Control wrote:
bmw boy wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:yah!! froggy's back!!!

also think about future extensions which are possible... north adelaide, the parade, airport just to name a few.

it costs 30 mill for a tram to do something Busses could do for FA cost.
the tramline extension is a joke.

when did i say that? :?
sorry you didnt say about the future tram extensions... I mustve accidently typed that in the wrong place.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1073 Post by Howie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:36 pm

Please back onto current news on the glenelg tram line..or we'll have to lock this thread.

Thanks.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1074 Post by bmw boy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:43 pm

ok ill start...

not sure if its been mentioned with all the argy bargy goin in the thread... but anyway..

The North tce tram median strip ... which caused the H class to get stuck has been cut back.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1075 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:53 pm

Anyone here know what kind of air-conditioning system is currently installed on the Flexcity trams?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#1076 Post by kymbosa » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Froggy wrote:
This IS what the next fight is against and why people need to keep fighting the tram. Extending it out into the suburbs is a nightmare in Adelaide. The only viable place which was found to be not worth the bother is to go to O'Connell st! It's the only reason the tram was meant to be put down in the first place and it made SENSE! OMG but noooooooooo lets just have it go to no where. The problem I think is if they extend it to O'connell st then they can't have it for free as you are effectively giving North Adelaide residents free public transport to work and there'd be a huge fight if that happened.
Just a quick point, the original plan was to extend the tram line to O'connell street, yeah your right, but that's it. The people of North Adelaide complained and therefore the line wasn't build to this place. However the day in which the government said that it would go there, suprise, surpirse the people of North Adelaide complained they weren't going to get the tram. It had nothing to do with the fair of ticket, but once again people in this city find it easy to live in the past and compain about any new ideas.

Now my point of the line. Just wondering if anyone has any idea about the launch of the line to the public, any one heard any dates. My guess is it's going to be the october long weekend, so that it wouldn't be over crowded on the first day, like it was when the new trams were first used.

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#1077 Post by Froggy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

A few points.

If the one tram is going to continue from Glenelg through the city they won't be able to police free ticketing, hence why I think they'll run one tram on the extension and one to glenelg.

When normoronman is finished with uni please get a job in Melbourne so you can see what trams do, they stop at lights, yes red lights with the traffic, then they get a green before the traffic if they are turning. Maybe you should get a job while you work at uni so you can travel over there more often sounds like most people talk about the other states in here but don't actually visit them much.

On to current events with the tram line, I have word that the bend on north terrace was made too tight so it will be interesting to see if that's true or not, I was interstate when they were doing the tests but I doubt they ran the train at more than walking pace?

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#1078 Post by Froggy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:12 pm

also i know i come acoss as hating PT but only what I deem to be stupid projects like this one. I'd love for Adelaide to have an underground tram or rail network around town maybe a tram version of the tube etc even a monorail going through the top of regent arcade! But then I'd be on the positive and no doubt I think the majority of Adelaide would hate that idea.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1079 Post by bmw boy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 pm

Froggy wrote:A few points.

If the one tram is going to continue from Glenelg through the city they won't be able to police free ticketing, hence why I think they'll run one tram on the extension and one to glenelg.

When normoronman is finished with uni please get a job in Melbourne so you can see what trams do, they stop at lights, yes red lights with the traffic, then they get a green before the traffic if they are turning. Maybe you should get a job while you work at uni so you can travel over there more often sounds like most people talk about the other states in here but don't actually visit them much.

On to current events with the tram line, I have word that the bend on north terrace was made too tight so it will be interesting to see if that's true or not, I was interstate when they were doing the tests but I doubt they ran the train at more than walking pace?
Cant they check all tickets like they do on trains... after it has passed the south tce? I've always found it odd, that they only ask if you want a ticket... and don't check them... any reasoning behind this?

With your knowledge of Melbourne tram system... maybe you can tell us if that bend is too tight??.... anything like that in melbourne?

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1080 Post by jk1237 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Froggy wrote:A few points.

Huh? what are u on about. Are u suggesting that when the tram from Glenelg gets to South Terrace, they will make everyone get out, and walk 10 metres to another tram in front, which will then continue through the city. :? Froggy in Perth, within their train system, there are 4-5 stations around the CBD which is a 'free travel area' where u dont need a ticket within these stations. The same thing will apply here, past South Tce to Glenelg you will need a valid ticket, from South Tce to City west you don't need a ticket
Froggy wrote:On to current events with the tram line, I have word that the bend on north terrace was made too tight so it will be interesting to see if that's true or not, I was interstate when they were doing the tests but I doubt they ran the train at more than walking pace?
Where did u hear this from, a letter to the Adv editor. Contrary to popular belief, Mr Rann didnt do the design and engineering, it was done by a professional company, so there is nothing wrong with the curve. The problem is with the high curb which has almost been rectified.
Not long now Froggy, are u gettin excited :D