COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bitumen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1111 Post by bitumen » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Has any one heard any news on the launch of the new service to City West.

When is the training of Operators going to start.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1112 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:58 pm

bitumen: Go back a few pages, it's been said.

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#1113 Post by Froggy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:13 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Froggy wrote:Added at least 10 minute travel time across the city in non peak and 20+ in peak well done SA Gov.
20 minutes? lol

That made me laugh. I'd hate to see your driving if it takes you that long. That's gold.
what, sitting in a lane for 20 minutes going snails pace? You clearly don't drive in the city at peak hour tyler.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#1114 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:21 pm

Froggy wrote:what, sitting in a lane for 20 minutes going snails pace? You clearly don't drive in the city at peak hour tyler.
I think what he's getting at is that saying Adelaide has traffic problems is a joke compared to other cities in Australia. Seriously, how long does "rush hour" last in Adelaide - 15 or 20 minutes?

Of course, Adelaide also has an appaling public transport utilisation rate compared to other Australian cities. Just doubling utilisation would have a tremendous effect on reducing congestion. If you're that scared of the big bad trams you can always skip over a street or two either side of King William Street to avoid them.

Waz
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1115 Post by Waz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:16 pm

AtD wrote:The trams won't fit under the bridge!

:mrgreen:
source?
You hear it here first...

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1116 Post by bmw boy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:37 pm

Waz wrote:

source?
Morphet Street Bridge???

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#1117 Post by Tom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:04 pm

There was no such thing as median strips back in Adelaide pre 1958 :lol: Therefore trams going round corners didnt crash into them, if the contractors did use the old curve diagrams they forgot to remember that point.
Garno!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1118 Post by AtD » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:14 am

Waz wrote:

source?
It was a joke, on the discussion that trams won't make it around the North Terrace corner. When the project was first getting started, a lot of nay-sayers said it'd be impossible to get the trams to fit under the bridge.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1119 Post by rubberman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi AtD,

There is absolutely no problem with the trams getting round the corner. I think the curves at the St Kilda Museum are sharper, and the longer H1 tram gets round with no trouble.

The interesting point is whether or not the H cars can pass each other on the curves.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#1120 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:14 pm

Froggy wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:
Froggy wrote:Added at least 10 minute travel time across the city in non peak and 20+ in peak well done SA Gov.
20 minutes? lol

That made me laugh. I'd hate to see your driving if it takes you that long. That's gold.
what, sitting in a lane for 20 minutes going snails pace? You clearly don't drive in the city at peak hour tyler.
You clearly said the trams added 20 minutes to travel times, not that it takes 20 minutes. That means you spend even longer than 20 minutes in city traffic. I do drive into and out of the city at peak times. Everyday. I have not noticed an increase in travel times since construction of the trams has started, so if it has increased it is marginal. And nor do I ever spend 20 minutes in city traffic, let alone an extra 20 minutes.

Which route do you travel? I'd love to hear. What you are saying just sounds laughable.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1121 Post by jk1237 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:55 pm

a semi-trailer with the tram shelter is at the Rundle Mall stop ready to put up the shelter. Does anyone know why its taken so long to lay the centre pavers on all the stops. I know that part has a special design. We all might have to chip in and help at this rate. Our city seems to have a bit of a problem in laying pavers. I would have thought that driver training trams would be running around any day now on the new extension :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1122 Post by AtD » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:19 am

rubberman wrote:Hi AtD,

There is absolutely no problem with the trams getting round the corner. I think the curves at the St Kilda Museum are sharper, and the longer H1 tram gets round with no trouble.

The interesting point is whether or not the H cars can pass each other on the curves.
Well there are several Victorian companies involved (made obvious by the "VicRoads" metal plates now lining Adelaide's two key streets) so one would hope that they have experience in measuring these things. From my, admittedly brief, observations, the curves are a reasonable distance from each other, much more than the previously offending median strip or platform were.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1123 Post by skyliner » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:07 am

I agree with Rubberman, the only real problem that COULD arise with the actual overall construction and use of the line is the possibility of H class trams passing on the Nth. Tce. corner. Even if this is not physically possible, what is the problem with one set going 'around the bend' at a time.

This problem is caused by the length of the trams and the positioning of the bogies under the frames. If the bogies are too close to the ends, the centre of the tram draws too far towards the start of the arc radius. If the bogies are some distance in from the ends, the ends overhang too far when traversing the arc. Somerone said they are the biggest used in Aust.
I see no real issue, especially whren the line is not going to be crammed with trams.

ADELAIDE - BEST PLACE IN AUSTRALIA IMO.
Jack.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1124 Post by Will409 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Photo time again.

More platform work at City West.

New pedestian 'bits and pieces' starting to come together. City West platform will be like Railway Station platform with a crossing at each end. Rundle Mall and Pirie Street only have crossings at the southern end.

New intersection at North Terrace and Victoria Street completed but not yet operational.

New pedestrian light being installed at the eastern end of Railway Station platform.

And the newly completed (but yet to be activated) pedestrian crossing at the western end of the platform.

Rundle Mall shelter has been installed.

Platform detail at Rundle Mall. We are atleast doing this with some style. In addition to the paver artwork midway along the platform, the 'warning lines' aren't paint but solid granite! Victoria Square was painted but is now being converted to granite.

View from the platform down King William Street. Notice the new dripper system being installed along the median strip.

Pirie Street shelter has also been installed.

Victoria Square from the north. All the fences have now finally been taken down so it looks less of a construction site and the 'final form' of the tramline is now on show for all to see.

New ashfalt pavement and the dodgy connection with the existing pavement in Vic Square.

New pedestrian crossing at Grote Street now operational.

Roofing progress at Victoria Square stop.

Flexi 106 at Victoria Square stop.

The 'hump' in the track at Grote Street.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1125 Post by Paulns » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:55 pm

Great photos mate! I just hope they do go through with the city west loop of the tram line... :D
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".