COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1141 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:14 pm

Ho Really wrote:
rhino wrote:I just walked down to Vic Square at lunchtime - what a disappointment that bitumen walkway is! I can't think of a good reason to pave that walkway with bitumen rather than pavers to match the existing walkways. :(
I agree, it is a disappointment. Just like those cracked tiles I have mentioned twice before. Anyway, we can only hope it is a temporary measure and that there will be a Victoria Square redevelopment now that we are all excited!

Cheers
I think there will be a redevelopment, mostly because a lot of traffic lights and crossings have been overhauled and they will need to be integrated with a new walkway system though the park. Now that the old terminus is gone, they can start finalising proposals.

I think this will start when the Grote Street Upgrade is complete.

On the subject of that, how different is Grote Street looking these days! I like how they widened the footpath near Chinatown, you can actually walk there now. And the new bus stops are much better than what they used to be. The only problem I have is how crowded the Victoria Square stop gets with all those busses.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1142 Post by Ho Really » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:40 pm

normangerman wrote:I think there will be a redevelopment, mostly because a lot of traffic lights and crossings have been overhauled and they will need to be integrated with a new walkway system though the park. Now that the old terminus is gone, they can start finalising proposals.

I think this will start when the Grote Street Upgrade is complete.

On the subject of that, how different is Grote Street looking these days! I like how they widened the footpath near Chinatown, you can actually walk there now. And the new bus stops are much better than what they used to be. The only problem I have is how crowded the Victoria Square stop gets with all those busses.
I don't mind the work that has been done in Grote Street, but the narrowing will be an issue if they ever intend to build an east-west tunnel under Victoria Square and include the tram loop. The position of the Bus Station and surrounding carparks could even push the tunnel closer to Morphett Street (an expensive proposition). If there's only a tram line it won't be as big an issue. Just a thought.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1143 Post by bmw boy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:30 pm

I rekon theyve taken ages to fix up grote street

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#1144 Post by kymbosa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:24 am

bmw boy wrote:I rekon theyve taken ages to fix up grote street
It's the city council, they are still doing North Tce. How long has that taken to do? I give it another 5 years before its done at this rate

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1145 Post by AG » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:45 pm

There's been more progress on North Terrace in the past few days as I noticed as I was drivinh back from the airport. Three new sets of lights have been switched on, at the intersections with Station Road, the pedestrian crossing at the other end of the platform, and at Victoria Street. There are also new lights going up new the car park entrance to the convention centre and the terminus of the tram line extension.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1146 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:33 pm

I was watching the new lights this morning in the ten minutes I had between trains. They run totally out of synchronisation with each other!

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1147 Post by Ho Really » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:46 am

AtD wrote:I was watching the new lights this morning in the ten minutes I had between trains. They run totally out of synchronisation with each other!
If they don't get this right it will be a nightmare.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1148 Post by Will409 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Finally got a fairly firm date in regards to the opening of the extension. Looks like being October 14 which is a Sunday. Follow the link and go to the bottom of the page for further details.

http://www.railsa.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=165
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#1149 Post by PhilH » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:48 pm

Some updated info on DTEI's news page, including renumbering of stops between Greenhill Road (becomes stop 1) and Moseley Square (becomes stop 17), and changes to bus stops in Victoria Square. And hopefully this page makes it clear to anyone who is still wondering, that all the trams will be free between City West and South Terrace!

http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... /news.html

Phil

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1150 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:05 pm

PhilH wrote:Some updated info on DTEI's news page, including renumbering of stops between Greenhill Road (becomes stop 1) and Moseley Square (becomes stop 17), and changes to bus stops in Victoria Square. And hopefully this page makes it clear to anyone who is still wondering, that all the trams will be free between City West and South Terrace!

http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... /news.html

Phil
Looks like we finally have a Stop 5 again :lol:

I wish we had one of these though, it shows the next 3 stops and any bus connections:
Attachments
P1010145.JPG
P1010145.JPG (211.75 KiB) Viewed 2064 times

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1151 Post by bmw boy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:51 pm

haha... how bout a few flat screen TV's in there

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1152 Post by bmw boy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Interesting to note on the new line stop layout... it has "vic sq / Tarndanyangga. I wonder If the recorded voiceover lady will say be saying "next stop Victoria square / Tarndanyangga" ?? lol

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1153 Post by Norman » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:41 am

bmw boy wrote:haha... how bout a few flat screen TV's in there
They do have some in the Berlin subway, but they are very small and only show crap anyway :lol:

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#1154 Post by bmw boy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:00 am

normangerman wrote:
bmw boy wrote:haha... how bout a few flat screen TV's in there
They do have some in the Berlin subway, but they are very small and only show crap anyway :lol:
hehe I mean for our trams, that would be cool

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1155 Post by crawf » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:30 am

They had tvs on one of the southern routes, showing just Channel 7. Wish they bought that to the hills :D

Not sure if they are still trialling them