COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will409
Legendary Member!

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1201 Post by Will409 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:38 pm

Photo time:

City West stop with shelter installed. Still awaiting roofing components.

City West pavement art work.

Shelter drainage and conduits.

Quite literally the end of the line.

Curb work for a new median strip section beyond the terminus. There will also be a new pedestrian crossing in the forground.

Substation under Morphett Street Bridge with new timber decking installed. Of note is the wheelchair ramp.

Pavement re installed on the single track section.

Single aspect light now operational.

Railway Station stop with shelter and roofing installed. This does also give a good idea to interstate viewers as to the gradient encountered by east bound trams since the roof is virtually level.

That is the most I could find of the paver artwork at Railway Station stop.

Hand rails installed at Railway Station stop. City West also has these in place.

Modified median strip where the H class had a run in a few weeks ago.

New tramway stop line. During the Tuesday night test, the positioning of the lines was determined with a couple of small lines just ahead of the bumper on the tram.

Paver artwork at Rundle Mall representing the 'Malls Balls'.

Paver artwork at Pirie Street. Atleast you can tell what it is supposed to be this time (the clock on Town Hall opposite the platform).

More median strip garden work at Pirie Street.

You would never have thought there was a tram terminus there would you? The former site and the new track alignment.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1202 Post by AtD » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:34 pm

I spotted this today. Thought I was in Melbourne for a moment.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1203 Post by SRW » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:27 pm

BillD wrote: Image
Beautiful.
Keep Adelaide Weird

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#1204 Post by BillD » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Here are a few more

Crossing Grote St heading North

In King William St

City West with rail yards behind

At Rundle mall stop. It's interesting to note that a few minutes after 106 left, people started waiting on this platform. Luckily a passer-by put them straight !

bva
High Rise Poster!

#1205 Post by bva » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:54 am

great set of photos
laugh at the idea of would be passengers waiting for the tram that will never come!!!

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1206 Post by skyliner » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:01 pm

Excellent set of photos BillD. :!: :!:

The pics do Adelaide justice. First one is on my desktop to 'sell Adelaide' to visitors - especially the arrogant types amongst the local QLD population here.(They just ditched their light rail option up here saying in essence it was a solution that is archaic.)

Thanks mate - your influence is now far and wide!!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#1207 Post by Bulldozer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Thankyou for another sterling set of pictures! Spring is here and the extension looks fantastic and certainly gives the city an air of elegance and sophistication.

I'm not too keen on that "paver art" though and I hope they clean up the look of the concrete where they adjusted the kerbing on North Terrace. You'd think that they could have put a bit more effort into that substation as well (I presume it's on the rail yard side of the bridge?) Minor quibbles though compared to the overall greatness of this project. That people started waiting at the stops already is an indication of the utility of and popularity the trams will no doubt experience in a couple of weeks.

One other thing I can't help but wonder about is if it would have been better to use coloured cement? Would a dark grey colour to match the pavers at the stops and bitumen on the roads look better? I think it would have looked a bit classier than bog-standard concrete, especially as time moves on.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1208 Post by Will409 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:17 pm

Bulldozer wrote:You'd think that they could have put a bit more effort into that substation as well (I presume it's on the rail yard side of the bridge?)
The substation is largely out of site and out of mind. Not only is it on the rail side of Morphett Street Bridge but it is also behind the main pylons that support the deck. In addition, there is a small garden and large fence alongside the footpath so it isn't really noticable. All it needs to do is to convert mains power to 660v DC and feed it to the overhead trolley line. As long as it does it's job without failing and can be reasonably well hidden without impeding on access to much, then there is no issue.

As for the Gold Coast, what a crock! The basic ideas and priciples behind a tram may date back to the 1880s but the equipment and engineering used here is very much 21st century. The oldest flexis are not even 2 years old yet and there are more on the way, the new shelters (as well as the older shelters from the 2005 rebuild) are simple but modern. The new shelters especially are eye catching and can almost be described as elegent. Not only that but with the attention to detail we have paid to things like gardening and grass between the rails as we have put in through Victoria Square, it is easily possible to make a tram look better then any busway ever could.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

#1209 Post by PhilH » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:46 pm

Great photos, Will & Bill. 106 was out and about today as well, I saw it turning from North Terrace into King William Street at 1:30.

PhilH

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1210 Post by rogue » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:48 pm

Bulldozer wrote:One other thing I can't help but wonder about is if it would have been better to use coloured cement? Would a dark grey colour to match the pavers at the stops and bitumen on the roads look better? I think it would have looked a bit classier than bog-standard concrete, especially as time moves on.
The concrete used has liquid colour oxide in the mix. The colour nearly the darkest available. The photo's are a bit deceptive.

BTW, still great shots BillD. Thanks.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1211 Post by Will » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks for the great photos everyone. The guys who have consistently kept us up to date with the evolution of this project deserve to be on the first tram to City West!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#1212 Post by Shuz » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:02 pm

love the photos! GREAT WORK! :)

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1213 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:06 pm

Agreed. Excellent photos! Spring in Adelaide is a great time of year. The city is really starting to look great as a result of all these developments. Really is not the Adelaide I am used to. Great to see we are moving forward.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1214 Post by Howie » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:52 pm

Quality work once again guys. Thank you Will and Bill.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1215 Post by Paulns » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey just noticed that great photo,"city west with the railwyards behind". TAKE NOTE SANFL. Wouldn't that be the perfect spot for a brand new state of the art Sports and entertainment stadium with also brand new public transport, tram access, directly adjacent to the main Adelaide rail lines?????? Come on, cant you see the advantages here????????? :D :D :D :D :D
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".