COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PhilH
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1216 Post by PhilH » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:44 pm

skyliner wrote:Excellent set of photos BillD. :!: :!:

The pics do Adelaide justice. First one is on my desktop to 'sell Adelaide' to visitors - especially the arrogant types amongst the local QLD population here.(They just ditched their light rail option up here saying in essence it was a solution that is archaic.)

Thanks mate - your influence is now far and wide!!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE

Hi Skyliner,

When was the Gold Coast Light Rail option ditched? I've searched unsuccessfully this evening for any news about that. It's a bit of a surprise, because the last I heard, Gold Coast ratepayers were largely in favour of it.

PhilH

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1217 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:36 pm

Yes, well done to everyone who has provided photo updates throughout the course of the build. I myself have collected up all my sets into a big album, although I'll need to go for one final run before the service starts.

Bring on October 14 I say :D

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1218 Post by jk1237 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:42 am

Everything looks good. Ive worked out what the pavement artwork signifies on all the new stops except City West. Does anyone know what its meant to represent at City West. I happened to see the training tram on Saturday, by fluke. Interesting that everyone on King Wil St stopped and stared as it went past. All the negative publicity that this extension has received may actually turn around to be a positive, ie any publicity will make even more people use the trams :)

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1219 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:55 am

Yeap. This is why the opposition made a big mistake opposing this extension. Once complete and operating most people will view this as a positive for Adelaide. Already the extension has improved the appearance of the city. The stops, landscaping etc all looks very neat. Once it is actually ready for use and people see how easy it is to use and that it is free in the CBD it will be very popular. All the expected traffic congestion was negative hype despite what some out-of-touch people are still suggesting. Even Rex Jory in the Advertiser had to back-track and end up saying this was a good development after opposing it, he doesn't usually back-track, geeze that bloke annoys me. So yeah I am glad this development has proceeded and so far looks like it will be a success.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1220 Post by SRW » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:35 pm

jk1237 wrote:Everything looks good. Ive worked out what the pavement artwork signifies on all the new stops except City West. Does anyone know what its meant to represent at City West.
The River Torrens?
Keep Adelaide Weird

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1221 Post by muzzamo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:56 pm

The new timetable is up

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/terrace.html

There is also a new city map, reflecting the replacement of the bee line service

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/tram_cbd.html

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1222 Post by Will409 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:34 pm

One thing I like is the almost insane (by Adelaide standards anyway!) is the frequency in the afternoon peak of services from City West down the whole line to Glenelg. From the 4:58pm departure to 6:25pm departure ex City West all the way to Glenelg, the average headway between trams is between 6-10 minutes with a couple of larger gaps here and there. While the rest of the network isn't exactly in the best state, we can atleast be justifiably proud of what we have turned to the Glenelg line into. No longer a tramway backwater but now almost the forfront of lightrail transport in Australia. Ofcourse, the heritage H class services will still be around making everything even sweeter.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1223 Post by Pants » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:52 pm

jk1237 wrote:Everything looks good. Ive worked out what the pavement artwork signifies on all the new stops except City West. Does anyone know what its meant to represent at City West.
My guess was a lion's tail - seeing as it's out the front of the Lion Arts Centre :?: :?: :?:

What's the railway station stop art represent?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1224 Post by Will409 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:58 pm

We will have to see what the full art work is when the barriers are removed. However, from what little I could tell (and the photo I got was the largest piece that was on show), it may very well represent bird tracks or something similar.

Bird tracks = tracks
Railway Station stop + tracks = railway tracks

Probably the simplest way I could out it. However, I could be wrong about the bird track theory. Just have to find out when my next update comes.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#1225 Post by BillD » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:31 pm

Thanks for explaining the artwork guys, some really had me stumped !

I like the "Lion's tail" theory regarding the City-West stop.

Flexity 101 was out again today being used for driver training.

Turning into North Tce

Entering the short, single track section

About to leave City West

Bill

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1226 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:02 pm

Will409 wrote:One thing I like is the almost insane (by Adelaide standards anyway!) is the frequency in the afternoon peak of services from City West down the whole line to Glenelg. From the 4:58pm departure to 6:25pm departure ex City West all the way to Glenelg, the average headway between trams is between 6-10 minutes with a couple of larger gaps here and there. While the rest of the network isn't exactly in the best state, we can atleast be justifiably proud of what we have turned to the Glenelg line into. No longer a tramway backwater but now almost the forfront of lightrail transport in Australia. Ofcourse, the heritage H class services will still be around making everything even sweeter.
If you go on the trams at that time of the evening, you will find a lot of them get filled up quite quickly. I'm glad more are getting put on, this will provide more seating places for our trams. I'm all for it.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1227 Post by Will409 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:17 pm

I've done a fair bit of travelling on the Glenelg line at those times and I have seen how quick they fill up. I have seen it on one occasion get filled to crush load (ie seating and standing load at maximum capacity) by Goodwood at one point. The one issue that I can think of is the lack of spare trams when this is all up and running before the the roumered new order arrives. I have spoken to a few drivers/connies and even now, they are running with only one or two Flexis spare in the depot. Once this is all up and running, they will be running virtually 'all hands on deck' with the Flexis.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1228 Post by muzzamo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:47 pm

When you talk about a "rumored new order" what are you referring to?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1229 Post by AG » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:02 pm

muzzamo wrote:When you talk about a "rumored new order" what are you referring to?
The expected extra order for more new Flexity trams.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1230 Post by Will409 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:13 pm

Basically, another order for another 4 Flexis (bringing the total number to 15).