COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1771 Post by crawf » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:22 pm

I would love for a tramline to run along Currie Street --> Henley Beach Road --> Henley Square with a spur line along Airport Road terminating infront of the new terminal.

Henley Beach Road has so much potential for becoming a popular cafe and shopping strip with a few clubs and low/mid rise apartments - It would be a great entrance for visitors traveling on the tram from the airport to the city :D.

A tramline to Henley Square would open up the area more for development and visitors (though don't want to see it turned into another Glenelg)

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1772 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:24 pm

crawf wrote:I would love for a tramline to run along Currie Street --> Henley Beach Road --> Henley Square with a spur line along Airport Road terminating infront of the new terminal.

Henley Beach Road has so much potential for becoming a popular cafe and shopping strip with a few clubs and low/mid rise apartments - It would be a great entrance for visitors traveling on the tram from the airport to the city :D.

A tramline to Henley Square would open up the area more for development and visitors (though don't want to see it turned into another Glenelg)

Definitely agree with all your points. There are so many places in Adelaide with potential..they just need someone to take a gamble and all will fall into place. Still bemuses me that people continue to knock the "tram to no where", so ill informed. Look at the big picture people.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#1773 Post by Mants » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:40 pm

Magill Road, imo, has potential to turn into a retail or cafe precinct if developers and store owners got their act together, same applies to goodwood road.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#1774 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:08 pm

Prospect road too, all these inner city suburban roads can benefit in this way.

skunk82
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1775 Post by skunk82 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:24 pm

Trams were in chaos again today during PM peak. A car and taxi accident at the Wright St/Carrington Street intersection blocked the up and down tracks for 20 mins. The accident caused disruptions to the running of trams. 106 was stopped at City South up platform and 105 tram stopped behind the accident on the down track. The attitude of the passengers was disgusting I witnessed passengers blaming the trams for being late when it was out of their control. The Government also needs to work with the city council and fix the traffic light sequence in the city. Trams are wasting far too much time stuck at the lights. No wonder the drivers can’t keep to the timetable.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#1776 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:14 pm

crawf wrote:I would love for a tramline to run along Currie Street --> Henley Beach Road --> Henley Square with a spur line along Airport Road terminating infront of the new terminal.

I agree, plus the new soon to be opened Bakewell Underpass, if the tram could run down and up the pass, that would be awesome.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#1777 Post by BillD » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:15 pm

Wayno wrote:hi all, this is my 1st post. I'm interested in knowing more about the Glenelg Tram line overpass at South Rd....
Welcome Wayno,

Here's the project link: http://tinyurl.com/368z95

There are handy links on the left side of the project page such as the timeline: http://tinyurl.com/2kpdls

You can sign up to the email mailing list http://tinyurl.com/3ca3zv

Bill

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#1778 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:18 pm

Mants wrote:Magill Road, imo, has potential to turn into a retail or cafe precinct if developers and store owners got their act together, same applies to goodwood road.
That would take quite an effort, it's correct Magill has a couple of prestigious cafes and restaurants, but they are located all over the place, the only best location is where the UNISA campus is.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#1779 Post by Edgar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:20 pm

ynotsfables wrote:Prospect road too, all these inner city suburban roads can benefit in this way.
True, I also seriously think the tram should run to North Adelaide along O'Connell St, plenty of potential there, and from there, it can join up to Prospect.

Another route of consideration is to branch out to Melbourne St too.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#1780 Post by Will409 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:41 pm

Edgar wrote: I agree, plus the new soon to be opened Bakewell Underpass, if the tram could run down and up the pass, that would be awesome.
Trams did run through the underpass at Hawthorne on Goodwood Road back in the day so there is no doubt that they COULD run through the Bakewell Underpass. Just need to hope for enough overhead clearance.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Tom
High Rise Poster!

#1781 Post by Tom » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:25 am

Will409 wrote:
Edgar wrote: I agree, plus the new soon to be opened Bakewell Underpass, if the tram could run down and up the pass, that would be awesome.
Trams did run through the underpass at Hawthorne on Goodwood Road back in the day.
Infact this was the very reason this underpass was built. If it wasnt for the trams we would probably have a level crossing there.
Garno!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1782 Post by AG » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 am

Trams may be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d to beat overcrowding
LAUREN NOVAK, TRANSPORT REPORTER
January 10, 2008 12:10am
THE State Government will consider lengthening Adelaide's trams to accommodate more passengers if consistent overcrowding continues.

Since the tram extension opened last October, patronage has exceeded expectations and many are full to bursting during peak periods.
A plan to extend the trams would involve adding a new section in the middle of the vehicle, as had been done in trams overseas.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the Government was considering alternatives to buying more trams but was yet to make firm decisions.

He said the Government would wait for a couple of months to see if passenger numbers levelled off.

"There are even options for extending the size of the existing trams, which is, we understand, being done in Dublin (Ireland)," he said yesterday.

"It's an option, it's simply an option because we know it's been done overseas.

"What we're going to do is have a look at them when it all settles down."

It was not known how many more seats the extra sections would provide.

In January, 2006, it was revealed the new Bombardier Flexity Classic trams could not be joined together and a single car could seat only half as many passengers as the old H-type trams could when coupled.

When two of the older trams were coupled in peak hour, 128 seats were available, with room for 60 standing passengers.

A single new tram has half the number of seats and 109 standing spots, with six fold-up seats for wheelchairs or prams.

At the time, the State Opposition accused the Government of rushing to buy the trams saying Adelaide could have wider trams better suited to commuter needs.

The Government has not done any cost estimates on the option to lengthen the trams but TransAdelaide general manager Bill Watson said there had been discussions with Bombardier.

If the plan went ahead, Bombardier would build the new sections, which would then be sent to Adelaide to be fitted, Mr Watson said.

He said the idea, which was being investigated in October last year, had been put on hold while "we've been concentrating on getting the new services in place".

"It's too early to know if it is physically possible or economically possible," he said.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#1783 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:08 am

They have to, from my experience the trams are quite literally crushing in peak hour - and I have even missed some services because theyre too full. The middle section of the trams is approxiametly the same distance from the back of the trams to the edge of most station platforms, which makes me think they were designed to cater for an expanded model of the Flexitys. Having 4-section trams would alleviate a lot of pressure by increasing passenger space (temporarily) but I also think they will be a catalyst for even more patronage growth.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1784 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 am

they would have to do it so that the position of the doors along the tram are symmetrical as they are now, otherwise the bump-markings at each stop for blind people wouldn't work...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1785 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:24 am

Shuz wrote:The middle section of the trams is approxiametly the same distance from the back of the trams to the edge of most station platforms, which makes me think they were designed to cater for an expanded model of the Flexitys.
It's because a coupled H-set is longer than a Flexity.