COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: Glenelg Tram upgrade (#UC: South Rd Overpass)

#2176 Post by muzzamo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:18 pm

From another forum:
Numerous Images taken from the Urban Circus Engine with the final design of the tram overpass. All these videos are captured directly from our simulation software, the Urban Engine™. No pre-rendering has been applied anywhere.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2177 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:12 pm

From yesterday:

Overpass viewed from Glandore, with lengths of rail ready for installation

Tram 105 passing overpass site in Glengyle Terrace

West from South Road

East from South Road

Beam for bicycle path in Norman Terrace, with concrete block wall between path and tram line

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#2178 Post by mooshie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:30 pm

I am hoping the newly installed, very permanent looking traffic lights that have just been installed under the new bridge are only there until the tram starts going over the top....

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#2179 Post by Briggzy_03 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 pm

mooshie wrote:I am hoping the newly installed, very permanent looking traffic lights that have just been installed under the new bridge are only there until the tram starts going over the top....
The whole reason the overpass is getting built is to get rid of the traffic lights at that crossing so I'm sure they're merely temporary bud. I could guess pedestrian lights? But again that's what the overpass is for.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#2180 Post by BillD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Signs are up on tram stops flagging a weekend closure on Friday, Saturday and Sunday 4, 5 AND 6 DECEMBER 2009.
This will be to allow the switch over to track on the new bridge.

We expect that at the same time they will be replacing the heavily worn track where the line crosses South Tce in the city.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#2181 Post by BillD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 pm

They are also indicating early closures on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday 23 November to 17 December 2009.

Last tram ex the city will be at 10:2pm. I'd guess that this will be to allow work on the new overhead - can anyone confirm this?

Bill

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#2182 Post by Shuz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:27 am

BillD wrote:Signs are up on tram stops flagging a weekend closure on Friday, Saturday and Sunday 4, 5 AND 6 DECEMBER 2009.

We expect that at the same time they will be replacing the heavily worn track where the line crosses South Tce in the city.
Again a half-arsed effort. When are they actually going to redo the southern half of the CBD line, so to mirror the northern half? It's a real letdown to the rest of the network.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2183 Post by AtD » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:13 am

With City South the only non wheelchair accessible stop on the line, it's only a matter of time.

Nathan

#2184 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:14 am

AtD wrote:With City South the only non wheelchair accessible stop on the line, it's only a matter of time.
Not just non-wheelchair accessible. It's also the only stop without shelter, and the only stop that doesn't have a display of the timetable.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2185 Post by muzzamo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:24 am

Nathan wrote:Not just non-wheelchair accessible. It's also the only stop without shelter, and the only stop that doesn't have a display of the timetable.
There is also a lot of new development down that way too so i agree its only a matter of time

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#2186 Post by Pat28 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Shuz wrote:
BillD wrote:Signs are up on tram stops flagging a weekend closure on Friday, Saturday and Sunday 4, 5 AND 6 DECEMBER 2009.

Again a half-arsed effort. When are they actually going to redo the southern half of the CBD line, so to mirror the northern half? It's a real letdown to the rest of the network.
A detour of the substitute buses is going to occur around South Terrace when the weekend closure is on so that the track around the South Terrace stop can be meddled with ) I have no other infos at the moment)
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

skyliner

#2187 Post by skyliner » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Shuz wrote:

Shuz - Sth KWS line is constantly annoying me as well - WHY is there nothing done there - esp with the extra high rise and potential for more - the worst of it is no canopy covered platforms - again, a disappointment to an otherwise great job. As far as I can see no changes for decades.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

danielphin
Gold-Member ;)

#2188 Post by danielphin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:58 pm

From this evening, 6pm, around 20+ pictures:

The Flickr Album can be viewed here: South Rd Overpass (26th Nov)

The western side of the overpass still has workers from Downer EDI. They seem to be doing something related to the centre poles. Please explain who they are, and what they do, someone?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2189 Post by AG » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:05 am

danielphin wrote: The western side of the overpass still has workers from Downer EDI. They seem to be doing something related to the centre poles. Please explain who they are, and what they do, someone?
Downer EDI is an engineering firm. Part of what they do is design and provide various systems for transport infrastructure, although what contract they've secured on this project I'm not sure.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2190 Post by fabricator » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:23 am

AG wrote:
danielphin wrote: The western side of the overpass still has workers from Downer EDI. They seem to be doing something related to the centre poles. Please explain who they are, and what they do, someone?
Downer EDI is an engineering firm. Part of what they do is design and provide various systems for transport infrastructure, although what contract they've secured on this project I'm not sure.
This gives a rough idea of the rail works division.
http://www.downeredirail.com.au/Default ... CateId=883

I expect they have the contact for erecting the poles, and later fixing the overhead in place. There are also things like signalling which need to be put in place. Who knows maybe they are doing the rails as well.

The massive machine on the truck is interesting though, what on earth do they need that for.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.