COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
petermaloney
High Rise Poster!

#16 Post by petermaloney » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:26 pm

thanks AG

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by AG » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:52 pm

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Algernon » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:26 am

Opening is quite possibly delayed to Wednesday.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by AG » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:13 pm

Bay's traders welcome return of their tramline
By RHIANNON HOYLE
08aug05
GLENELG traders are eagerly awaiting the return of the tram service today after nine weeks of lost business.

Retailers said yesterday they had been hit hard financially by the closure of the tram line for upgrading.

Trams will return to service this morning, with pedestrians and cyclists warned to take care near the tracks.

Attitude boutique manager Jilia Martin said retailers had lost the tourist dollar, with visitors staying at local hotels the only tourists venturing down the popular retail strip.

"Ask any retailer or restaurant owner along the strip - it has hit everyone really bad," she said.

"It was a struggle to get through, and I think everyone is looking forward to seeing a bustling Jetty Road again."

Mamma Carmela Restaurant owner Les Aoukar said this winter had been one of the quietest he had seen in 22 years of business.

"I think we would be down by about 20 per cent on the total usual sales," he said.

"Without the tram there are just not as many people walking around and that really affects business."

Trams ceased operating on June 5 for a $23.5 million track upgrade for new trams next year. The closure was the first in 75 years, forcing more than 5000 daily commuters and tourists to catch buses.

Bayside Cafe owner Henry Lee said Glenelg "needs the trams to survive," while Arielle Restas, of Shade Sunglasses, described the strip as "absurdly and unusually quiet for this time of year". She was glad the work had been done during "an already quiet period".

Jetty Road Mainstreet Board manager Rod Basto said he expected business to pick up from today but the real boost would come when the new trams hit the line. "Certainly, it is fair to say not having the trams in that nine-week hiatus hasn't helped business," he said. "We would expect an influx with the large number of people looking forward to travelling on (a new tram) for the first time."

Algernon

#20 Post by Algernon » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:27 pm

Well, I took the tram to glenelg... then the bus home :lol: I'm impressed! The new tracks have given the old trams a whole new lease on life. It runs much smoother and quieter now! It'll also be great to ride the train when i'm out on the beverages and not lose my guts when it rocks from side to side. Hopefully the H types are used often when the new stock arrives (yes, I know they'll be used on public holidays etc).

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AG » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:58 pm

Trams will be sold for a pretty low price next month.

End of the line so put in an offer

Royalty, sports heroes and state premiers have ridden in these Adelaide Icons. But now they'll be sold for the price of a cheap used car.

Sixteen trams built in 1929 and representing a slice of Adelaide's history are being sold by tender next month as part of a multimillion-dollar fleet upgrade.

They will be replaced with nine green, airconditioned, German-built trams at a total cost of $47 million

It is estimated each of the original trams has carried two million passengers a year over the past quarter-century.

"During that time it's a good chance that they have carried Sir Donald Bradman, Dame Roma Mitchell, numerous state premiers and even royalty," TransAdelaide spokesman Bill Watson said

"We expect the price to be in the low thousands, somewhere between $1000 and $10,000"

Of the 16 trams for sale, 10 are being retired from the existing City-Bay fleet, five sold from storage and one formerly operated as a restaurant. Buyers are expected to include tram buffs, community and tourism bodies, and museums from around the country.

"Some may be set-up as exhibitions, others may be set be converted into accommodation, and maybe a collector will simply buy one to put in his shed," Mr. Watson said.

The trams will be sold to the highest bidder by tender next month. "The highest bids will win the tenders, but offers by non-profit organisations will be judged by a different criteria - that is they may be able to get the trams a bit cheaper," Mr. Watson said.

However, SA's Australian Electric Transport Museum, based at St. Kilda, hopes to be given the former restaurant car.

"We take the view we have got trams and tram parts from Melbourne for free in the past and hope the same will happen with the Adelaide trams," museum president Colin Seymour said.

"And I hope at least half of those disposed of go to Australian museums, because they will be kept in running order."

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by AG » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:10 pm

There was a derailment on the line near the depot at Glengowrie last night. Bus services replaced trams after 6pm.

shuzstar
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by shuzstar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:04 pm

i like the new platforms and stations.... there so much better. how much longer before the new trams (i heard a couple are fully built already and ready to go)

whats more on the Rann idea of the Nth Terrace, Port Rd and City Loops tram networks?
- Sensational Glenelg - The City By The Beach.

jwigg05
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Need more Info...

#24 Post by jwigg05 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:39 pm

Hey everyone...i'm really interested in the tram upgrades..i was just wondering if anyone knew where i could get more info....like on how it had or will effect tourism in Glenelg...if anyone has any idea please let me know!

Regards!

Jess! :D

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:48 pm

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by AG » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:42 pm

The Glenelg end of the line between Brighton Road and Moseley Square will be closed soon so that the track can be upgraded. It will probably coincide with the upgrade of the tram stop at Moseley Square.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by AG » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:21 pm

The upgrade of Moseley Square:

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Al » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:17 am

Here's a little article about the proposed tram extension in Wednesday's Advertiser. Can't believe they want overpasses! What sort of idiots can't avoid a tram but can avoid cars crossing a road?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:15 pm

Rather than building overpasses on the tram line, spend money on the heavy rail lines, eg overpass for the Park Tce crossing in Salisbury.

How are they going to do the tram stops along King William Street and North Terrace. Assuming they run them down the centre of the road. Are they going to have stops in the middle of the road, thus killing 4 of the 8 lanes of North Terrace and King William St, or will they have passengers making suicide dashes accross three lanes of traffic?

And because no one has posted it here yet:
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/baytram366 ... 904-14.jpg
Stolen from SSC, where it was stolen from RailPage, where it was stolen from... into infinity.

Algernon

#30 Post by Algernon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:19 pm

AtD, it's an interesting point about stops on King William St. The OPT fields many complaints that buses on King William st, get this, congest traffic. A tram shelter probably won't go down too well :lol:

One off the wall idea I had was to run the tram through city central. Then I thought about it and laughed.

Now, a tunnel on the other hand..... :idea: :lol: