COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#436 Post by Will » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Froggy wrote:
AG wrote:
Froggy wrote:Just proved one of my points to people about this, it's the old fart - rose glasses brigade who love the idea. Let it go, they were taken out for a reason in the first place.
And what reason(s) was that? You need to explain mate.

I myself am in my very late teens, I rarely use the tram line and I still support it. It's an improvement on the interchange linkages between some of Adelaide's most important public transport services.
Ah from the Eastern suburbs, more rose coloured glasses, I hardly think this new extension is going to effect anywhere you usually drive or go in the city.
The RAA conducted a study which found that the tram extension would add only around 1 MINUTE of travel time at peak hour to motorists.

My question to you is; where is your evidence that the tram extension will cause 'traffic chaos'?

It is obvious that the only person here with rose coloured glasses is yourself. You are still living in the 1960's with your 'car is king' mentallity.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#437 Post by AG » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Froggy wrote:Ah from the Eastern suburbs, more rose coloured glasses, I hardly think this new extension is going to effect anywhere you usually drive or go in the city.
What is this stereotyping of people from the eastern suburbs? A bit of a naive generalisation don't you think? I spend more time on public transport than I do driving. And yes I do travel beyond the eastern suburbs and the city on a regular basis, several times a week. I have actually travelled overseas as well so I actually have a fair idea about how other cities carry on about projects in their cities.

I will not deny that I am a bit of a railfan, mainly because it stems out of my desire for improved transport services, something Adelaide lacks of in all areas, but in particular the rail sector, both suburban and light.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#438 Post by Redback20 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Will wrote:
Froggy wrote:Anyone hear the poll on triple m this morning, 75% against the tram extension.
You should have a look at the results of the official public consultation:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/ima ... ension.pdf
Walked into that one Froggy!
Here endeth the thread i think :D

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#439 Post by Froggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Will wrote:
Froggy wrote:Anyone hear the poll on triple m this morning, 75% against the tram extension.
You should have a look at the results of the official public consultation:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/ima ... ension.pdf
If I go and stand at the bus stop and ask the people there if they want new buses and a bus freeway I'll get the result I'm after as well. That public consultation was a farce.

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#440 Post by Froggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:09 pm

Pretty fair turn out for the protest as well. Had a nice lunch time watching it from my balcony at work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#441 Post by Howie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:13 pm

Hate to say it froggy but you did walk right into that one. Most of the polls conducted so far have had more people in favour of the extension, to the city's west end and beyond.

You can call it a farce, even the poll on our front page that has been running for a year now is sitting around 80% in favour.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#442 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Since we're currently in the mood for sterotyping I'll gladly join in.

Triple M listeners --> V8 Falcon and Commodore driving bogans.

It's not surprising that listeners of that radio station would not like trams. If it doesn't blow fumes and deafen everyone in the vicinity, they aren't interested. :wink:
Last edited by Tyler_Durden on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#443 Post by Froggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Howie wrote:Hate to say it froggy but you did walk right into that one. Most of the polls conducted so far have had more people in favour of the extension, to the city's west end and beyond.

You can call it a farce, even the poll on our front page that has been running for a year now is sitting around 80% in favour.

I will call it a farce, as it was a farce. It's like asking the student union members to do a poll on whether funding should be cut or not, you already know what answer you'll get.

From what I've read on this site it should probably be renamed senationaladelaiderail.com

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#444 Post by Howie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Like I said call it what you like... the questionaires were submitted in the mall on a busy weekend, there was no pro or anti development lobby groups.. just your average shoppers in town on a weekend.
From what I've read on this site it should probably be renamed senationaladelaiderail.com
No thanks, there's already railsa.com :) We're more unbiased than you think.

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#445 Post by Froggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:29 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Since we're currently in the mood for sterotyping I'll gladly join in.

Triple M listeners --> V8 Falcon and Commodore driving bogans.

It's not surprising that listeners of that radio station would not like trams. If it doesn't blow fumes and deafen everyone in the vicinity, they aren't interested. :wink:
Triple M listeners in the morning are probably aged 40 - 65 and middle class, I don't listen to it, channel surf when I hear crap songs in the morning.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#446 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:30 pm

Popularity of a project should not come into it anyway. Governments are there to make hard, good, educated decisions. Otherwise, why have a government? Just call a public vote on every significant issue. Very few of the public are ever properly educated on such things. So whether people are for or against this project does not interest me one bit. That is not to say the Government is always right. But neither is public opinion.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#447 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:40 pm

From Adelaidenow:

Hundreds at tramline protest

TORY SHEPHERD

February 21, 2007 02:08pm

TODAY'S protest against the Adelaide city tramline extension was big, but probably not as big as organisers had hoped.

One of the organisers contacted The Advertiser earlier today and claimed it would be bigger than the protests against the Vietnam war.

About 250 people turned up to listen to speakers including activist Richard Abbott, Opposition Leader Iain Evans, and Opposition transport spokesman Martin Hamilton-Smith.

Their main message was that the tramline should be low on a list of priorities that includes water infrastructure, hospitals, and policing.

Of the hundreds of protesters, at least four were part of a protest-within-a-protest, heckling speakers and holding banners in support of the tramline extension.

Haha how funny are these people who do they think they are like a new tramline is a more important issue than a war. And 200 people in a city of 1.3million people what does that tell you.

TODAY'S protest against the Adelaide city tramline extension was big, but probably not as big as organisers had hoped.

One of the organisers contacted The Advertiser earlier today and claimed it would be bigger than the protests against the Vietnam war.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#448 Post by Howie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:06 pm

So from all the negative publicity, and the very vocal minority group who've been opposed to the tram line extension since day one... it boiled down to 250 people? Good going LOL

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#449 Post by Froggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Howie wrote:Like I said call it what you like... the questionaires were submitted in the mall on a busy weekend, there was no pro or anti development lobby groups.. just your average shoppers in town on a weekend.
No thanks, there's already railsa.com :) We're more unbiased than you think.
I dunno I hate the tram extension but I just couldn't bring myself to actually attend a protest against it...

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#450 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:48 pm

Howie wrote:So from all the negative publicity, and the very vocal minority group who've been opposed to the tram line extension since day one... it boiled down to 250 people? Good going LOL
Surprising really. Getting in the way of progress is a much more worthwhile cause then opposing wars.